Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Do talk back
User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 9781
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby slightbreeze » 29 Jul 2016, 23:22

Image

The whole album is FANTASTIC!! Talk about a step up in musical maturity.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby gash on ignore » 29 Jul 2016, 23:23

Where've you heard it?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 9781
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby slightbreeze » 30 Jul 2016, 10:00

clive gash wrote:Where've you heard it?

Only a download. Soulseek. Brilliant guitar.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby gash on ignore » 30 Jul 2016, 10:01

Is the 40 minute version of "Sullen Mind" included?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 9781
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby slightbreeze » 30 Jul 2016, 15:35

clive gash wrote:Is the 40 minute version of "Sullen Mind" included?


If only. Fave track at moment ..."The halfwit in me", which I don't take personally.

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 39703
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 23 Aug 2016, 14:15

Picked up the new one last night and played it a couple of times. It sounds great, and the playing is fantastic, but I kinda wish I hadn't read the lyric sheet.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby Guy E » 23 Aug 2016, 20:03

clive gash wrote:Is the 40 minute version of "Sullen Mind" included?

I got a copy of that, a DL from a Drop Box buddy. It's probably 15-minutes too long up front, but who's counting?

I like the album a lot. And if you ever get a chance to see him live...
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34388
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby PENK » 23 Aug 2016, 20:34

slightbreeze wrote:
clive gash wrote:Is the 40 minute version of "Sullen Mind" included?


If only.


It's on the Spotify version...
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Spec
Posts: 10387
Joined: 20 Aug 2003, 11:58
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby Spec » 24 Aug 2016, 11:41

Got it. It is good, excellent in places, but maybe not as great as I hoped/expected. A few songs are just a bit too short and restrained. I look forward to spending more time with it.

I've played the long version of Sullen Mind a couple of times. The second time I confess I skipped forward through the first ten minutes as it isn't that interesting. The second half is great and I wish that the ten minutes of noodling at the start had been 10 minutes of jamming at the end.

User avatar
Spec
Posts: 10387
Joined: 20 Aug 2003, 11:58
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby Spec » 18 Nov 2016, 09:24

Saw him live in London last night and it was everything I'd expected and hoped for. A very talented singer songwriter surrounded by a great band, wanting to play, wanting to have fun and wanting to rock. It was one of the loudest and heaviest gigs I've seen - as someone there commented: at times it was like Tim Buckley fronting Black Sabbath.

As usual he stretched and morphed the songs. The first three - Primrose Green, Sullen Mind, and Roundabouts took over the first 30 minutes and I'd have been happy for them to be twice as long.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby gash on ignore » 18 Nov 2016, 09:37

Sounds fab, the drummer is a monster apparently.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby gash on ignore » 18 Nov 2016, 09:42

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
blindlemonjefferson
Posts: 2848
Joined: 01 Aug 2003, 22:32
Location: Murica

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby blindlemonjefferson » 18 Nov 2016, 18:49

Spec wrote:Saw him live in London last night and it was everything I'd expected and hoped for. A very talented singer songwriter surrounded by a great band, wanting to play, wanting to have fun and wanting to rock. It was one of the loudest and heaviest gigs I've seen - as someone there commented: at times it was like Tim Buckley fronting Black Sabbath.

As usual he stretched and morphed the songs. The first three - Primrose Green, Sullen Mind, and Roundabouts took over the first 30 minutes and I'd have been happy for them to be twice as long.


I saw him a couple of weeks ago in Brooklyn (the show linked to in the post above mine, in fact). Great show, great act, but I was actually much more impressed by the opener, Circuit Des Yeux, who just totally blew me away. Her set was a total revelation to me, and one of the best live acts I've seen in a long, long time. Did she open the London show?
dimitri wrote:but you just have to expect that i will get you back in the near future when you least expect it

User avatar
blindlemonjefferson
Posts: 2848
Joined: 01 Aug 2003, 22:32
Location: Murica

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby blindlemonjefferson » 18 Nov 2016, 18:53

clive gash wrote:Sounds fab, the drummer is a monster apparently.


So the regular drummer isn't playing on this tour because he fell off a roof. The new drummer was good enough that he played with bells in his mouth for 15 minutes and it didn't feel gratuitous.
dimitri wrote:but you just have to expect that i will get you back in the near future when you least expect it

User avatar
Spec
Posts: 10387
Joined: 20 Aug 2003, 11:58
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby Spec » 18 Nov 2016, 19:46

blindlemonjefferson wrote:
Spec wrote:Saw him live in London last night and it was everything I'd expected and hoped for. A very talented singer songwriter surrounded by a great band, wanting to play, wanting to have fun and wanting to rock. It was one of the loudest and heaviest gigs I've seen - as someone there commented: at times it was like Tim Buckley fronting Black Sabbath.

As usual he stretched and morphed the songs. The first three - Primrose Green, Sullen Mind, and Roundabouts took over the first 30 minutes and I'd have been happy for them to be twice as long.


I saw him a couple of weeks ago in Brooklyn (the show linked to in the post above mine, in fact). Great show, great act, but I was actually much more impressed by the opener, Circuit Des Yeux, who just totally blew me away. Her set was a total revelation to me, and one of the best live acts I've seen in a long, long time. Did she open the London show?


No, she didn't. It was Kayla Cohen who plays under the name Itasca. Pleasant female singer, very good guitarist, but kind of lost in the venue and background chat.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby gash on ignore » 27 Jan 2017, 18:34

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Postby gash on ignore » 08 Oct 2017, 23:24

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: Ryley Walker - New record - Deafman Glance

Postby gash on ignore » 28 Feb 2018, 23:12

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say