34 Discs Of Unreleased Prince Songs Boiled Down To 2 Great Ones

Do talk back
bobzilla77

34 Discs Of Unreleased Prince Songs Boiled Down To 2 Great Ones

Postby bobzilla77 » 13 Mar 2015, 00:19

I've been trawling through the 34 discs that make up Work It 2.0, a boot collection put together maybe 10 years ago by knowledgeable collectors. Almost everything sounds like it was sourced from cassette - rumor has it Bobby Z of the Revolution turned over his entire cassette collection to some Dutch superfans for big dough, and that stuff had gradually leaked out.

Some of these are demos of songs that were eventually released. Some are alternate studio versions of familiar tracks - I especially like the Vanity 6 version of Sex Shooter, and the Appollonia take of Manic Monday. Some are instrumental grooves that you can tell were used on later tracks. And some songs were re-done multiple times.

But there is also a pretty impressive number of completed songs with full production that have never been put out.

34 discs running 75 minutes each is just too overwhelming for me to contemplate so I went to his fan board & asked for recommendations so I could make a comp. Below is the track list for 2 full discs of what I consider to be good-to-great outtakes.

DISC 1
1. Our Destiny
2. Roadhouse Garden
3. All Day All Night
4. G Spot
5. Dance Electric
6. Sex Shooter (Vanity)
7. Moonbeam Levels
8. 100 MPH
9. Wonderful Ass
10. In A Large Room With No Light
11. Rebirth Of The Flesh
12. Sexual Suicide
13. We Can Funk
14. Neon Telephone
15. Old Friends 4 Sale
16. Empty Room
DISC 2
1. Chocolate
2. Neon Rendezvous
3. Stone
4. Movie Star
5. Get Blue
6. Extraloveable
7. Purple Music
8. Good Man
9. I Wonder
10. Others Here With Us
11. Uh Huh
12. Possessed
13. All My Dreams

Anyone else familiar with this stuff? Got favorites? Further recommendations? Suggestions for what I should title the comp? (Old Friends 4 Sale has been used before, dang it.)

And I know Movie Star & Sexual Suicide were on Crystal Ball but I don't have that, and it's out of print, and nobody I know listens to it. These are different versions anyway, I assume different enough from the official takes to merit inclusion. And they're two of my fave songs from this whole exercise.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: 34 Discs Of Unreleased Prince Songs Boiled Down To 2 Great Ones

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 13 Mar 2015, 08:46

Just curious as to what you're planning to do with the comps.

I would be very interested to hear them.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Mar 2015, 09:02

I put together a comp of unreleased stuff (up to 1990) fairly recently. It was three discs long with an extra disc for Prince songs recorded by other artists. I think there’s a lot of good-great stuff from this period that was never released. Absurdly so in fact. The thing with Prince unreleased material is that you go back over it intermittently and discover something worthwhile that you missed or didn’t know about. Most recent discovery: Traffic Jam – a great Minneapolis jam and well worth tracking down.

I’m staggered you wouldn’t include Electric Intercourse. I would never bother with the Crystal Ball remakes myself by the way – the original version of Sexual Suicide just sounds a lot better.

Anyway, some songs I feel you have missed, maybe overlooked, need to revaluate etc:

Turn It Up
Teacher, Teacher - just a really strong pop song with a harpsichord riff that won’t quit and the kind of whimsical vibe he explored more fully on Parade. I think this is from ‘82
Lust U Always – shame about the rape line but a jam nonetheless
Vibrator – I love the intro where Prince is the sex shop worker.
Electric Intercourse – fucking great
Desire – one of my favourite Prince outtakes with a really nagging horn riff and a lovely melody. I return to this one a LOT
Traffic Jam – you really need this in your life
It’s A Wonderful Day
Train
The Grand Progression – I have no idea why he never released this to be honest. A really gorgeous, limpid ballad
Good Love – just a great wee pop song from the Camille album
Data Bank
The Line
Dance With The Devil – would have really beefed up the Batman album had it been included
The Voice Inside – it’s just some generic Prince funk thing but it still sounded fresh at that time imo. There aren’t a great deal of strong outtakes from around ‘88/’89
Big House – this is only a fragment really (1 minute) but very tantalising. I would love to hear the whole thing.

Put simply, trying to limit this stuff to 2 discs is pointless. It really needs to be a 4 disc box set type thingy. You can really get lost in this shit.

As for a title: Possessed seems as good as any to me. Cos that's what he was
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 13 Mar 2015, 14:08

Thanks Goatboy! I am still getting thru it all & will have more compilations to come I know there are gems I have not run into yet.

Is there a simple way to share this with the group?

THE FILING FEE
hounds people off the board

Postby THE FILING FEE » 11 Aug 2017, 22:19

New PR?
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Aug 2017, 22:23

Cough!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Aug 2017, 06:50

Some of my selections did indeed pop up on the new Purple Rain edition. Wonderful Ass is a winner.

K

Postby K » 14 Aug 2017, 10:44

I love Prince's original version of U, cut by Paula Abdul

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Aug 2017, 11:04

Blast from the Past volumes 4 and 5 now out.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Aug 2017, 11:27

The version of 101 is extremely hot

Return to “Yakety Yak”