Paul McCartney
58%

Total votes: 31

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Brian Wilson vs Paul McCartney 62-67

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Dec 2014, 14:41

california girls was the first he wrote on the ol' lysergic
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Dec 2014, 16:05

But......but Brian wrote "Wonderful," ya'll!!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Dec 2014, 17:10

Nolamike wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:The answer to this question is: June 14th, 1965. "Yesterday," "I've Just Seen a Face" and "I'm Down" were all recorded that day.

Which was about one week after Brian finished "California Girls" (lyrically, it doesn't hold up to those three, but musically, i think it easily surpasses each) and about a month before he started recording Pet Sounds.

Sure, that intro in particular is a real landmark, and he may have had help from the Wrecking Crew, but it's pretty much all him.

Still, it's only one song. My point was, three songs, all great, all totally different, all requiring different skills. Brian never matched that combination of ambition and "top of his game" in any single 24-hour period. I'm not sure anybody has.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Dec 2014, 18:54

The thing is , if Brian wrote his complete repertoire in one day then ............ Oh , hang on, he wrote the same song every day didn't he , carry on.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Dec 2014, 18:55

Goat Boy wrote:
The Slider wrote:I'm mystified
I mean even in '66, when Brian was at his very best, it isn't even a competition.

What bollocks.

You have.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Dec 2014, 20:10

I've just seen a face is slight as hell. Fairly typical of the Beatles during that Help period I think. Never saw the fuss about I'm Down bar Maccas vocal. Yesterday is like Le Grande Illusion or something; some old foreign film that critics claim is one of the best ever but nae cunt ever watches. Music for academics. Stuffy and dull. 3 songs though, huh? Nice one Macca! I think Brian during this period was as good as anybody ever. The fact that he could produce and arranged some of the most exquisite, sophisticated and moving rock music of all time AND some of the greatest pop ever and yet not be considered even competition for that scouse twat is a BCB scandal.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Dec 2014, 20:27

I'm no Beatle lover, but Wilsons music with one exception is Busby Berkeley in a Hawaiian shirt. It is a sine wave on an everlasting loop. Whatever the Beach Boys try to say lyrically or musically is overridden by the dreadful chipmunks on helium armafalsettogedden that tears any emotion or intent from Wilsons songs. One Beach Boys album isn't much like another it is exactly like the other.

Macca has written more turgid twee shite than most , agreed. He has also shown to have more ideas and ambition (often in one song ) than Brian has shown in his recorded output. The Beach Boys fan base is a constant mystery to me .

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Dec 2014, 20:34

jimboo wrote:One Beach Boys album isn't much like another it is exactly like the other.

To be absolutely clear, that really is utter bollocks, even from you.
I still think almost everyone is wrong and I am right.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
As silver tears they weave and lace, Sad patterns upon her face

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Dec 2014, 20:36

Oh right , care to mention which ones are miles apart ? I'll give them a listen.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Dec 2014, 20:44

jimboo wrote:Oh right , care to mention which ones are miles apart ? I'll give them a listen.

Have you actually heard "Pet Sounds"? Seriously.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Dec 2014, 20:47

The same, apparently.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Dec 2014, 21:01

I have heard pet sounds and it isn't very good. If we are going to list songs between the two attempting to show the full spectrum of their respective abilities as songwriters, you will find yourself receiving a bigger battering than Foreman handed to Frazier in 1973

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 09 Dec 2014, 21:14

I quite like Pet Sounds but its standing amongst people who should know better is an utter enigma to me.
Even given the context.
It's a nice enough pop record but....??
Surely McCartney was being his usual obsequious self when he said that the Beatles were spurred on to make Revolver because of it.
Rubber Soul was so fucking far ahead of Pet Sounds that it's not even funny. Revolver just shat on it and rubbed its face in the mess.

Odd that Lennon and Harrison never seemed to even dignify Wilson with a mention.
I think McCartney was just being kind to the mentally ill.
The Complete Slade Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

MALLETT
hounds people off the board

Postby MALLETT » 09 Dec 2014, 21:45

:lol:
GoogaMooga wrote:I am culling more than I am buying, but just barely. I intend to enrich, not expand, the collection.

soundchaser wrote:Wow, I am so impressed with this player: crisp; clear; detailed and yet, velvety.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 09 Dec 2014, 22:23

Well really.
The Beach Boys' UK rivals were the fucking Hollies, not the Beatles for fuck's sake.
The Complete Slade Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

MALLETT

Postby MALLETT » 09 Dec 2014, 22:28

The Beach Boys are a band for music geeks. Their appeal doesn't spread wide beyond communities like ours. That isn't true about the Beatles, and that says a lot.
GoogaMooga wrote:I am culling more than I am buying, but just barely. I intend to enrich, not expand, the collection.

soundchaser wrote:Wow, I am so impressed with this player: crisp; clear; detailed and yet, velvety.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Dec 2014, 22:36

Rootie Tootie wrote:The Beach Boys are a band for music geeks. Their appeal doesn't spread wide beyond communities like ours. That isn't true about the Beatles, and that says a lot.

Apologies for the cliche alert, but I do think there's a UK/US divide here. I don't think ordinary Brits connect with the Beach Boys. I think ordinary Americans do.

Not that that says anything in their favor, necessarily - I think it's the nostalgia market more than anything else - but it's not my perception that it's universally true.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018

MALLETT

Postby MALLETT » 09 Dec 2014, 22:40

toomanyhatz wrote:I don't think ordinary Brits connect with the Beach Boys. I think ordinary Americans do.

Yeah, I think there's something in that.

When I was growing up, they were known disparagingly as a 'Radio 2 band'. Most other 60s bands (Kinks, Who, etc.) weren't thought of that way at all.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Dec 2014, 22:53

Rootie Tootie wrote:The Beach Boys are a band for music geeks. Their appeal doesn't spread wide beyond communities like ours. That isn't true about the Beatles, and that says a lot.

It doesn't say anything. It's a meaningless statement. You could say the same about the velvets or any number of great bands and it goes without saying the cultural reach of the beatles is greater than any other band. As it happens my gfs 18 year old niece whose favourite bands are guns n roses and the foo fighters loves the beach boys. Not that it means much I guess but there you go.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

MALLETT

Postby MALLETT » 09 Dec 2014, 23:01

They're both boring as fuck anyway.