BCB 130: The Who

Do talk back
Bent Fabric

BCB 130: The Who

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Nov 2014, 14:53

A lot of my whole "thing" with this band is predicated on the notion that, at peak strength, they were better than the Beatles. I'm not certain that I fully believe this, but..."can your precious Beatles do THIS?"

Just as the Beatles sort of "amped up" what had come before them (black music, country, Tin Pan Alley, girl groups, early rock and roll), it seemed like the Who were just that crucial bit more youthful, tough and...heading straight for "the rock" and desperately trying to discard "the roll" (an element of which they, nonetheless, had plenty). I don't think it's any stretch to say that they occasionally made even the very best of their immediate forebears (peers, even) seem a bit quaint.

The sort of "one man guitar orchestra" of Pete Townshend is central to this - all of these sort of sophisticated slashing chords cutting through and chopping down everything in their path. There was obviously so much more to him and them than that, but...it is an overriding feature of their style and sound. He and Moon seem to really be both on this path (until they eventually get distracted sometime in the 1970s) - there's almost something virginal about it in the best possible way...rather than the sort of cool, laid back, experienced sound of jazz or swing (or...I dunno, Booker T and the MGs or the Meters), you get these sort of "trying-to-mollify-the-person-holding-us-at-gunpoint-by-playing-with-maximum-enthusiam-and-abandon" eager and aggressive and hyper performances, like...if they kick out enough jams in a sufficiently demonstrative fashion, they'll "get the girl" or something. It's the only way I can describe the sort of masculine adolescent adrenaline in all of those classic songs.

I mean, if I were asked to do a BCB 130 solely on "I Can't Explain" or "I Can See For Miles" or "Pictures Of Lily" or "I'm A Boy", there's absolutely no reason why I couldn't. Townshend playing bar chords high up on the neck on a 12 string and sounding as tough as anything that would ever exist...the super insane tension created by the tight and almost atonally close harmonies in "Miles" (the mono single climaxes in this sort of "your head's gonna blow off before we get to the coda" kind of way) - it's like they used The Ivy League for backing vocals on the first single and were instantly like "Okay, thanks - we can not only do this for ourselves now, but...seriously...watch and learn."

Given the speed at which things moved back then, the fact that the Who were "post-Kinks" (even to the infinitesimal extent that they were) gave them a certain elemental ammunition that no band before them had (I mean, I know the Sonics were quite heavy in their own way, but still in a "Yeah, sure - saxophone players!" kind of "50s hangover" way that has nothing to do with the Who). To further illustrate why the Who's youth was such a virtue, there's some interview with Townshend in the early 1980s where he makes some patented reflexive snide remark about how his concept of rock and roll is not tied to the same implicitly antiquated values as someone like Paul McCartney ("...whereas I don't think Little Richard mattered.."). The 1960s were a wonderful time to be modern, and the things that made The Who "younger" than their British Invasion peers seem like very good things indeed (in much the same way as, say, Piper at The Gates of Dawn or Are You Experienced? are "younger" than the Who, and so on).

There's something cool about looking at pictures of people who sort of haven't "gone through it" yet, where you think "Oh, wow - he really has no idea he's gonna be president, go to the moon, etc.", and I feel like all of the James Brown covers on the debut album and the versions of "Heatwave" and the fucking Beach Boys/Jan and Dean nonsense and "Legal Matter" are a bit like the baby pictures of some very important person, but...then...from the same era, the likes of "The Kids Are Alright" seem to already have one foot in this very singular territory. Maybe it's only one foot, but that's one more foot than anyone else. The sort of digressive choral interlude in the middle of "I'm A Boy" with all of those very emotional minor chords and suspensions? I mean, it's like the Incredible Hulk trying to burst out of puny David Banner's body. Some of you have kids, and you know how they all say these fucking ridiculous things when their vocabulary is at a certain point (let's say preschool age or earlier)? They seem hilarious, but...obviously, they are loaded with meaning - they are meant to indicate some very real imperative or communique. I think a great stretch of Pete's magic is in that sort of "I'm trying to ask for food (or, you know, spiritual nourishment) but 'Happy Jack' is what comes out!" corridor of songwriting. Sell Out, especially, seems like he's really got something very personal to express (the emotional equivalent of "I've got to go to the bathroom" or what have you) and it comes out in these songs about tattoos and deodorant - these beautiful songs with very evocative and yearning and epic melodies/changes/arrangements. I think we're all lucky that he ended up in a band that had faith in that stuff, cause...it seems like he might have had a hard time getting the Yardbirds or Troggs to play those songs.

It's hard to discuss their story in this day and age without referencing the likelihood of Townshend having been an abused child with some deeply repressed trauma - it seems like such a huge part of their/his best work. Issues of betrayal, perception, compensation, escape, the need to belong, the need for total autonomy, wanting to be heard, wanting to be understood, and the difficulties of childhood seem to permeate their artistic peak, and...there's a lot of the musical questing and expression which seems very much like an unintended outlet of sorts - you could very well be watching a rat attempt to work his way out of a maze when you listen to something like, say, "Sparks".

That isn't, by any means, the whole story, of course. There's also the notion that an inexplicable thing happens in an ensemble and you can only identify it post-mortem. It's all very well for any of the surviving members to sit around and pontificate about how the band's elements interacted during the period of their greatest work - "Well, Keith was 'knitting', and I was working my way around that, and John was doing this, and Roger was standing over there, etc.", but...nothing that great and powerful is ever designed from a blueprint or theory. It is, in some ways, the sound of the legendary conflict the group were known for - dysfunctional people, all unlikely bedfellows in one way or another, substance abusers and serial misbehavers and malcontents who drove each other mad from the very beginning (and two of whom ultimately worked their way towards the ultimate escape), but...who could never have done what they do without each other. Not to say I don't love, say, the Zombies, but...you can hear the difference, right?

I remember a friend and fellow songwriter once expressing some envy to me about Townshend's ability to write songs that she believed spoke to/for some universal audience/congregation. It wasn't something I'd ever really considered prior to that moment, but...my God, this conversation would have taken place in a very narcissistic era in popular music (near the turn of the millennium), and...the contrast, when I look at any number of Townshend's songs is incredible - you totally don't have to be him to live at the center of the lyrics/music. He's just managed to take the microphone for some enormous mass of people and sing their lives or some big part of them. I mean, it's the sort of trick that a lot of people attempt with varying results, and that a lot of people just wouldn't even bother with - it's too daunting...you can sing about your own interests or life or fears and hope that they are somehow resonant...I mean, I love Big Star and relate to a lot of their music, but somehow I'm very aware of Alex Chilton or Chris Bell composing and expressing these ideas, and...Neil Young...again, it's meaningful to me, but it very much seems like HIS story, and a lot of the relatability of it comes from his sort of "leaving holes" in the work...the enigmatic element. Townshend seems (for the period of his work that has any relevance here) unusually adept at standing atop the mountain and singing OUR song (through his band). I love the Velvet Underground, for example, but...not for THAT reason, by any means. The thing that I'm accusing Townshend of doing, I don't think Lou Reed was ever able to do with any real frequency or reliability. And The Who fans aren't even remotely agreed on WHEN and WHERE it happens - I've met the "Quadrophenia saved my life!" types and the "'My Generation'/'Substitute'/'Anyway Anyhow Anywhere' and nothing later!" types, and all sorts in between, and none of these factions seems any less convinced of their direct relationship to the music than the others. I cringe to hear the author HIMSELF discuss/describe his process, because he seems almost determined to spoil his own effect on others - I've said similar things about Neil Young's autobiography...what could Pete Townshend possibly know about his own work?!?!?

Even their biggest fans here will typically cop to some wild inconsistency - either that (as mentioned earlier) there is a specific and exclusive period that makes the Who their favorite band, or that the quality of the work varies wildly (even within an album or period), or that "they left the best bits on the cutting room floor", or that this work or that work would be better if only some caveat had been navigated (they used the wrong takes/songs/producer/sound). I'm certainly of the opinion that they hit some of the absolute highest highs in music, but that...they weren't ALL masterpieces by any means. I don't own LPs of the first two records, and I can't say it bothers me (I've let the final four sit in the racks at record shops forever). Even a song as powerful as "A Quick One (While He's Away)", I'm inclined to think it genuinely took them a couple of years to get the song to where it really needed to be, musically. The LP version sounds "clanky" to me, and...you must be as tired of hearing me and others rhapsodize about the Rock and Roll Circus performance as you are of hearing about Freddie Mercury at Live Aid (okay, fine - I won't say it again, but...only because you KNOW how major that Who performance is). I think Tommy is as great as anything anyone has ever done, but...I'm always hearing a certain type of Who fan complaining that it somehow follows the REAL peak of the band (this implies that "Batman" and "Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde" and "See My Way" is the top of the mountain, but...we're all here to get along, right?). I tend to agree that there's something maybe a bit too pristine and tight and concise about Who's Next (and, I really can't summon any real enthusiasm for "Going Mobile" or "Love Ain't For Keeping"), and...yeah, I'd be interested to see what might have happened if he hadn't flaked out so thoroughly on Lifehouse, and...sure..."Pure And Easy" is really fucking amazing...but...ugh..."Join Together"? No thanks. An exercise like Odds and Sods would seem to be perfect for a band like the Who - famous for their outtakes and unreleased gems, the group combs the archives as a stop gap and comes up with...well, not much, really. Barring a couple of actual killers (chiefly "Long Live Rock"), there's a lot of dross/chaff there, and they end up spending the 1990s (!) releasing box sets and expanded versions of their many albums...finally unleashing some genuinely killer material on the world (I mean...look at the plethora of shit hot 94/95 Thirty Years Of..., Sell Out and Leeds bonuses - you're telling me none of that was the equal/better of what limped out on Odds and Sods?). What I'm saying re: the band's hit or miss rate is basically the equivalent of trying to convince you that the world's greatest band put out, on average, one absolute great-as-music-gets classic song amidst four absolute turds. Listen to something like the (ridiculous by ANY metric) chorus to "Now I'm A Farmer" and you have to remind yourself that Townshend's mostly unlikely ideas were so often his very best - so much so that he could bring the silliest thing in the world into his bandmates and they'd probably assume (and approach it as if) it was likely to be the next "My Generation". Obviously, we live for the times when this worked.

If you have time for this, it cuts to the heart of my whole "thing" in a way that an essay simply cannot:

Quadrophenia took me forever to "get" - I'd spent years thinking it was just the most bloated, over produced, bombastic, polished bullshit ever to bear the name of a majorly talented band, but...then one depressing night, broke and far from home in a flat (for it was London/Islington) that I didn't especially wish to be in, someone put it on, and...all of the emotional content (especially in the longer instrumental pieces like "The Rock" - that shit's just LOADED with palpable sentiment) just really opened me wide open (and I'd been pretty fucking into the Who for DECADES at this point). I'm not necessarily pushing it on people who can't get past the image of Daltrey jogging in place, or banks of synths or football stadiums, but...I tend to think of it as a rather expressive emotional piece from Townshend and...if you're up for it, he's got a lot to offer there. Even something as seemingly silly as "Bell Boy" has loads of "feeling".

Despite being someone who will confess to having spent years subconsciously (?) aping them with a particular ensemble, I can nonetheless say that I find most people's alleged "Who influence" excruciating to witness. I know some of these people personally...and I know of bands who famously modeled themselves on the Who...what does it all mean...trying to look sharp like the Who did in 1965/6? Flailing around on the drums with a cool haircut? Using Rickenbackers? There's a certain subclass of band/musician who have done little other than demonstrate how impossible it is to copy the Who/Moon/Townshend. If anyone had truly managed it, I think we'd have heard about it. I mean, I absolutely understand that they are a very attractive proposition as role models - the original power trio with all of these very moving and affecting masterpieces, but...ugh...just...no. You can put all the Who songs you want in your stage act, record them, pal around with Pete or Roger, dress like them, and so on...but...the evidence that there's only one Who gets stronger with every occasion on which someone lesser chokes on some marble mouthed interpretation of a Who classic. I know we can all stand to learn something from the Who, but...on evidence, maybe we all ALSO have the (even stronger) capacity to stubbornly NOT learn from them, no matter how much we play dress up.

*(fucking 0:46 is such a payoff for me)*

There's an odd economy at play here - I mean, sure...you could say that they all overplayed and oversang, but I find the records (including the live ones) uniformly and unspeakably lean. The guitar chords seem to contain just the right amount of information (and often less than you think is there)...it's like the impatient person who gets frustrated at having to communicate using anything more than some bare minimum of coded language, references or gestures. Given the right synergy of all parties, one could optimally get a lot across with this format in which the listener fills in a lot of gaps. Maybe it's all a little more powerful for not being TOO spelled out. Much like Led Zeppelin, for all the "heavy rock" and "proto-metal" we might associate with this band, the guitar sounds are never all THAT saturated - the actual power seems to come from a surprisingly measured source. The next time you hear something like "Won't Get Fooled Again", you can marvel at a) how little guitar there is in the verses, no full bodied chords, a lot of very spartan voicings, little more than a series of terse interjections, a lot of "holes", and b) the tastefulness of the sound...it has that lovely "small amp sound" (I don't actually care what amp he used) of most great rock guitar recordings with absolutely no more gain than is needed. Keith Moon and John Entwhistle are quite possibly seen to be these horribly busy musicians, but...again, listen to the tracks and they really seem to be playing with enormous purpose - it's like four limbs of a body all doing some part that makes no great amount of sense independently, but which serves the greater good. That sounds a little vague and generic and sort of "Oh, well, you could be describing any band here", but as it applies specifically to the Who, listen to any of Moon's eruptions or more involved parts and they really do seem to be making some very relevant point (even knocking all of the percussion instruments over at the end of "Love, Reign O'er Me") or interacting with the vocal in some deeply involved fashion. Ditto the bass - when Entwistle goes "wacky", it's always allowing someone else to do some very important thing - often you'll find this is when someone else is going deeply sparse or simple or plain...it really is like the human body's tendency to shift weight and emphasis according to some subconscious and automatic compensatory need.

OK - that!

Inevitably, there were people approximately 25-30 years later who would attempt to make entire careers out of this song...with none of the playful grandeur so natural to the Who. Of course, the Who moved on instantly (save for, I suppose, "Tommy's Holiday Camp" and occasional little bits of "drunk on stout" type detailing), as they so often would. Better that the Kinks get blamed for subsequent crimes.

This one just slays me - buried in the middle of a disjointed Side Two of yet another flawed classic. The vocal and the playing are gorgeous, and hint at a certain frailty that will come up again and again in their work. There's a few motifs here (and elsewhere) that Townshend appears to be exploring quite a bit around this time - in many ways, Tommy seems like the climax/finale of a certain self-searching era (you can hear the musical and lyrical warmups all over the place ca. 67-68, in both finished and unfinished songs - I rather enjoy that he wasn't afraid to keep coming back to these bits and refining them at the time. You'd hate for someone to do that over a period of decades, but as a rather finite process, it shows a refreshingly un-self-conscious determination and dedication to the muse).

I've said a lot, and yet I've only scratched the surface. I know they are (I mean, in a way that exceeds most popular artists and groups) such a personal band to whom so many have their own personal bond. Why don't I leave you with this (THEIR "Good Vibrations?") while you contemplate your own contributions:

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: BCB 130: The Who

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Nov 2014, 15:41

EXCELLENT!

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 07 Nov 2014, 15:45

Matt Wilson wrote:EXCELLENT!

put it away, wilson!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Nov 2014, 15:59

Bent Fabric wrote:Image

A lot of my whole "thing" with this band is predicated on the notion that, at peak strength, they were better than the Beatles. I'm not certain that I fully believe this, but..."can your precious Beatles do THIS?"

Probably not. But that kind of amped up musical freakout became the norm for a number of bands in the late sixties. The Who were pioneers in that, they certainly were pivotal in pushing rock to wilder and louder extremes and that was an exciting journey for a few years, but ultimately it lead to a kind of dead end, not just for them but for 70s rock generally.

der nister

Postby der nister » 07 Nov 2014, 16:08

The G Experience! wrote:
Probably not. But that kind of amped up musical freakout became the norm for a number of bands in the late sixties. The Who were pioneers in that, they certainly were pivotal in pushing rock to wilder and louder extremes and that was an exciting journey for a few years, but ultimately it lead to a kind of dead end, not just for them but for 70s rock generally.

Pioneers, maybe
Post Cream, post Hendrix they helped with wilder and louder
Townshend's thrashing and bashing was because he couldn't solo like Hendrix, Beck, Bloomfield, Clapton, etc.,
yet, other than Hendrix, they couldn't write a tune
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 07 Nov 2014, 16:39

Bent Fabric wrote:Crucial...molify...virginal... infinitesimal... elemental... digressive choral interlude... pontificate

Seriously, John. I don't come here to read this shit.

TL;DR.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

jim courier

Postby jim courier » 07 Nov 2014, 16:49

Great singles band, shite albums.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 07 Nov 2014, 17:01

jim courier wrote:Great singles band, shite albums.

My hero!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Nov 2014, 17:05

Kippy Pratt wrote:

My hero!

Would have made a smashing opening post, if not for the excessive punctuation.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 Nov 2014, 18:01

"Sparks" is completely different from Cream, Hendrix or any of the post-Cream/Hendrix that followed. It's not just loud and wild, it's orchestrated. Yet done so on the fly, like a military maneuver or football play that takes into account the vagaries of the terrain and that moment. I think people miss the beauty of that.

I think one of the keys to this band is that they were all listening. During the early years and through about 1971, they interacted musically more than Mitchell ever did to Hendrix (or crucially, the other way around), or Bruce ever did to Clapton. When that stopped -- Entwistle, half-deaf, on one side of the stage; Townshend, half-drunk, on the other -- they were only saved by occasional good songwriting.

If your favorite Cream album is Disraeli Gears and you prefer Are You Experienced to "Machine Gun", you might be a latent Who fan.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Nov 2014, 18:51

Quacoan wrote:I think people miss the beauty of that.

Conceivably, yes.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Nov 2014, 18:55

It took me a while but I love and adore them and I would like to write more but I don't have the time right now.

Suffice to say they may not be the most consistent but sometimes I think they were the most special.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 07 Nov 2014, 19:04

One of my most special music memories was the summer after I graduated from high school (1996) and they had just put out that excellent reissue of Sell Out. I was just getting into the Who by way of a singles compilation (still the best, really) and really didn't know anything about Sell Out besides I Can See For Miles.

Needles to say, I was absolutely floored. It completely blew away my preconceived perceptions of 'classic rock' and made me rethink the whole concept. I also picked up Piper at the Gates of Dawn a couple weeks later. That was a hell of a summer!

But yeah, I have lost my affinity for The Who over the years. But there was a period where Live at the Isle of Wight never left my car stereo and A Quick One was my Friday night drinking album. I remember it all fondly and will still listen from time to time. But I very much consider my Who fandom in the past. I've never really understood why...

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Nov 2014, 19:04

To which I say, Sell Out, man. Sell Out.

My old predictable standbys for them:

Townshend is the rhythm section.

I like when Townshend sings lead, mostly, but not always.

Yes, they were a great singles band. So, odd that it should all go so 'widescreen.'

Speaking of which, I really go back and forth a bit on the merits of the 70s stuff. Except for By Numbers. That one I always like.

Best song - Gosh. Their best stuff can never have the resonance it once did, but...I'm incable of having ill feelings toward something like, say, "Substitute."

Best album - See above.

Most underrated album - Also see above.

Most overrated album - I wasn't going to bring it up, but...
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Nov 2014, 19:14

Bent Fabric wrote:
If you have time for this, it cuts to the heart of my whole "thing" in a way that an essay simply cannot:

I knew some stoner/metal kids who drove all the way to Dallas (over 8 hours away) to see the Who's "final" tour in high school. That show reminds me so much of my adolescence.

This one just slays me - buried in the middle of a disjointed Side Two of yet another flawed classic. The vocal and the playing are gorgeous, and hint at a certain frailty that will come up again and again in their work. There's a few motifs here (and elsewhere) that Townshend appears to be exploring quite a bit around this time - in many ways, Tommy seems like the climax/finale of a certain self-searching era (you can hear the musical and lyrical warmups all over the place ca. 67-68, in both finished and unfinished songs - I rather enjoy that he wasn't afraid to keep coming back to these bits and refining them at the time. You'd hate for someone to do that over a period of decades, but as a rather finite process, it shows a refreshingly un-self-conscious determination and dedication to the muse).

I was just about to feature that song in a new thread. Good thing I held off.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Nov 2014, 19:24

toomanyhatz wrote:

To which I say, Sell Out, man. Sell Out.

And My Generation, Tommy, Live at Leeds, Who's Next, Quadrophenia, By Numbers...

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 07 Nov 2014, 20:30

They are quite good, at times.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 Nov 2014, 20:38

The Association are quite good at times.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Nov 2014, 20:39

*Runs off to start Association vs. Who thread*
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 08 Nov 2014, 15:02

Bent Fabric wrote: I cringe to hear the author HIMSELF discuss/describe his process, because he seems almost determined to spoil his own effect on others - I've said similar things about Neil Young's autobiography...what could Pete Townshend possibly know about his own work?!?!?

JESUS, that is a thread in itself. I read Who I Am once (just once?!?) and about halfway through I realized that old man Townshend was trying to crawl into the mind of young man Townshend and the results were just embarrassing. I'd love to hear Quaco's take on the book because after reading Townshend's attempts to intellectualize the importance of, say, "Glow Girl", I really did hope to get some of my initial blissful ignorance back. No wonder Lifehouse didn't get made. Come out and smell the fresh air, Pete. You've been up your arse far too long.

In case anyone is actually hoping to read the book, you'll get very little insight into Keith and John other than "they like to have a bit of fun; go out on the town; have a larf", and then about 400 pages of Pete dropping to his knees in hotel lobbies across the globe pledging his love and devotion to any long-legged eye candy who was a) younger than him and b) not his wife. His poor fucking wife is all could think throughout that book. He's kind of a schmuck.

Return to “Yakety Yak”