BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Do talk back
User avatar
'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014
Posts: 6248
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 13:19
Location: on diamond dog's ignore list

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby 'skope » 28 Oct 2014, 19:08

it is wrote:After Cale left they recorded/put out:

What Goes On
Pale Blue Eyes
Beginning To See The Light
I Can't Stand It
Lisa Says
Sweet Jane
Rock and Roll
New Age

Now, you might prefer the earlier, generally noisier stuff, but to think of those songs as the products of an inferior band is just wrong.


count me in as another who loses interest after the first two. in fact nowadays, i'm only interested in the first and nico's 'chelsea girl'.

i'm not keen on 'loaded'. it's not very VU, it has more in common with solo lou reed.

good list JC, but i'd get rid of the last 4 and replace them with 'candy says', 'foggy notion', 'ocean' and 'some kinda love'.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22922
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby Copehead » 28 Oct 2014, 20:26

Jeemo wrote:Not sure why you found it hard to a copy of the first. I worked in a record shop we sold the first regularly and had no problems reordering new copies. That was 1979_1982.


Well this was Bangor North Wales in 1984

Actually I don't remember seeing it in Edinburgh either.

Perhaps it went out of print about then.

Mine is certainly second hand

Also didn't really order albums, if it wasn't in the racks there was always something equally desirable to spend your pennies on that was.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6460
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby jimboo » 28 Oct 2014, 20:27

Those photos just added to the appeal. They were different.


Yep

To me, they still sound like no other band. Which is remarkable


Yep

It was like everything else I'd heard before became sort of redundant


Yep.

Music, and more importantly 'rock' music, could be beautiful , left field and straight up on the same album , hell , in the same song. Age and time shall not diminish them.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
OCT
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14892
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby OCT » 28 Oct 2014, 20:44

jimboo wrote:Age and time shall not diminish them.


Thanks. I needed a less lukewarm response.

Sometimes you think people are talking about graphs.
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 4194
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby echolalia » 28 Oct 2014, 22:30

I’ve been coming back to them since Lou Reed died, after a very long break, after listening to them an awful lot. They sound as good as ever.

I find it very difficult to talk about Velvets albums because after the first one (easy enough to get, in my experience - not the others though) I would always listen to them on cassette, sometimes incomplete and often with other tracks tacked on at the end etc.

But the 3rd and 1969 would be my favourites.

Most underrated is clearly Loaded.

Favourite songs:

Sunday Morning
I’m Waiting for the Man
There She Goes Again
I Heard Her Call My Name
Sister Ray
Everything on the 3rd album with the possible exception of the last track
Sweet Jane (1969)
Lisa Says (1969)
New Age (1969)
Beginning to See the Light
Rock & Roll
I Can’t Stand It
I Found a Reason
Sweet Nothing
and Stephanie Says, my very favourite.

I love those [girl’s name] Says songs. Lou Reed really hit on something there: a template so strong that hanging lyrics on it looked effortless.

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 8489
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby WG Kaspar » 29 Oct 2014, 08:22

I have not listened much for years, but for a considerable amount of time they meant the world to me. I still rate the Peel Slowly box as the finest buy I've ever made, so much concentrated brilliance.
After all these years the only one I regularly come back to is the first, but it's Loaded that I buy for friends who ask an introduction. I rate the third almost as high as the debut but I agree with Copehead that there is something missing, it's not as otherworldly for want of a better word. Still utterly brilliant though and the tracks from that period that didn't make the album are some of my favourite, especially Lisa Says and I Can't Stand It.
Like JC I never liked the second much, and I have tried.
So all in all I think I'll be listening to them again at some point and enjoying them like I used to because they really are one of those bands for me.
I run out of talent

User avatar
OCT
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14892
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby OCT » 20 Nov 2014, 01:05

Nice Doug Yule interview following the release of the reissued/remastered third album:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/the-velvet- ... noiseyfbus
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

User avatar
Markus
Posts: 260
Joined: 09 Dec 2007, 03:10

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby Markus » 18 Jan 2017, 23:49

I like the second more than I ever did. Not too keen on the 'novelty' track there however.
Jimbo wrote:What do you say we step up our game here.

User avatar
OCT
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14892
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby OCT » 02 Mar 2017, 05:01

Quacoan wrote:...instead of it being a ritual debasement of popular music or somesuch, it was just a raw howl, because the band was already a black-and-white outline of a band rather than a full-color band with real players and bass and drums and harmonies and everything.


Bent Fabric wrote:The Velvets turned off the lights and locked up behind themselves when they left.


We should pay these gents to write.

Lou would have turned 75 today.
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 38239
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Mar 2017, 05:52

Larson E. Whipsnade wrote:Nice Doug Yule interview following the release of the reissued/remastered third album:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/the-velvet- ... noiseyfbus

The Velvet Underground (known among fans as “The Grey Album”)

What fans? I never heard anybody call it that before, and never want to hear anybody call it that again.

I really enjoyed the hell out of the Yule interview, though.

I don't know how I missed this thread before. The Velvet Underground had the greatest impact on my life of anyone in music bar the you-know-whootles. I really do believe that the third album in particular saved my life on more than one occasion.

I feel like I've written more than enough about them on these boards and don't much feel like repeating myself, but reading this thread did excavate one memory: that of hearing the 1986 reissue of The Velvet Underground And Nico for the first time. Thing is, it was my second time buying the album; the first one had been an early-'80s UK pressing (on the MGM label! - how odd!), and while I don't consider myself an audiophile as such, this was a really crappy pressing. But I didn't know that - how could I? I just assumed that that was how the album sounded, take it or leave it. And I took it, of course - happily. The only reason I bought the '86 reissues was because they were one of my pet bands and I was really happy that these things were coming out in their home country again after so many years and I kinda wanted to vote with my dollars, so to speak - reward the big record company for doing the right thing (for a change). Anyway, when I put on VU&N it sounded so amazingly much better that I remember bursting into tears of joy during "Heroin" (Side 2 of that UK pressing had been even crappier sounding than Side 1). That's what I just remembered.
Image

User avatar
K
Posts: 7256
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby K » 02 Mar 2017, 16:48

I've been listening to the box sets a lot recently. Just reminds me who friggin good they are. My favourite album changes on a daily basis - basically whatever I last listened to, which in this case was Loaded. I like every track on there, even Lonesome Cowboy Bill. I especially like Train Comin' Round the Bend as well as the "obvious" ones.

And a couple of weeks ago I played The Murder Mystery to my kids - there minds were blown. "What s going on, daddy?" and my favourite, "I don't mind listening to daddy's weird music."
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
REDACTED, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4231
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Mar 2017, 17:02

It's all about VU & Nico for me, especially "Heroin", it's a contender for greatest song of the 1960s, in my book (the bumper book of contenders for greatest song of the 1960s).

I dig out the third record, "The Grey Album", as I like to call it, more often than WL/WH though, because it's got a lovely mellow buttery feel to it.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 921
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby Hightea » 04 Mar 2017, 04:14

Vu is one of those bands I've got no idea when I started liking them.
Being in the NYC radio listening area really it was the VU album and Loaded that were played along with transformer.
It was in the summer of fun 74 album collection (brother came home from college with his roommates album collection- few hundred albums) that turned me on to so many things and The Velvet Underground & Nico album was in there. It was a staple in my brothers listening in 74 on so it was oh that band again. We did like Heroin so if he put on side two we would change it after the first song.

Oddly it was the Lou Reed Berlin heard a few years later that got me sold on Lou Reed. Then after seeing him in 78 I went back to the VU stuff.
Along with my love of Eno leading me to Nico and John Cale once again.

Today it still creeps further up the list of top albums. When I think of my listening today its still there.
Favorite album is the first one these days and love all of side one,
WL/WH has its moments esp. Sister Ray
Agree with the comment about John Cale but always still have a love of Lou so the 3rd and 4th are great too.
When you think it was only four albums but the VU family of albums solo and other bands is a nice collection.

User avatar
nev harp
cultural defective
Posts: 14419
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: on parole

Re: BCB 130 - The Velvet Underground

Postby nev harp » 11 Jan 2018, 00:15

Hip Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands jive talk Someone who is with it The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't dig what it means, no one can ever tell you.