Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways

Do talk back
Nolamike

Re: Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways

Postby Nolamike » 24 Nov 2014, 20:07

Charlie O. wrote:
Viscount Jizzmark wrote:No. What kind of asshole walks down the street playing an acoustic guitar (ESPECIALLY in New Orleans)? No context can justify it.

I was gonna be a smartass and say that Alex Chilton did it, but I guess he wasn't actually walking down (or even in) the street.

Chilton also lived in New Orleans for a few decades, and was heavily involved in the local music scene there without trying to self-aggrandize in the process (e.g., he'd sit in unannounced with various bands from time to time, and unless you actually recognized him, you'd have no idea it was Chilton). And he sure as heck wouldn't ever bring along his guitar and strum it in a second line.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 24 Nov 2014, 20:34

kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Nov 2014, 23:08

Nolamike wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
Viscount Jizzmark wrote:No. What kind of asshole walks down the street playing an acoustic guitar (ESPECIALLY in New Orleans)? No context can justify it.

I was gonna be a smartass and say that Alex Chilton did it, but I guess he wasn't actually walking down (or even in) the street.

Chilton also lived in New Orleans for a few decades, and was heavily involved in the local music scene there without trying to self-aggrandize in the process (e.g., he'd sit in unannounced with various bands from time to time, and unless you actually recognized him, you'd have no idea it was Chilton). And he sure as heck wouldn't ever bring along his guitar and strum it in a second line.

Yeah, but Charlie knows all that stuff as well as anyone. He busted me fair and square!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 24 Nov 2014, 23:30

Viscount Jizzmark wrote:Yeah, but Charlie knows all that stuff as well as anyone. He busted me fair and square!

:lol: Fair, if not square! (Or maybe it's vice-versa.)

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 24 Nov 2014, 23:39

Everybody has to jam with the Pres Hall Band nowadays, I guessed that was gonna be part of his show before I even saw that picture.

When I saw them this summer they had Robbie Krieger play with them on St James Infirmary Blues and People Are Strange. You know what, it was really cool. Krieger came up with some cool guitar lines that fit right into their arrangement of the first, and then they did the Doors song pretty straight through most of it, just a singer, the rhythm section and his guitar, before the whole brass section kicked in at the end. They'd obviously spent some time and thought on figuring out what would work, how to make it happen as music and not just a celebrity sighting.

I'm just saying, that kind of thing CAN work. I haven't seen the episode to tell whether or not they got the same magic out of Grohlster.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 25 Nov 2014, 20:08

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... s-20141122

Did any of the culture stay with you when you returned to Los Angeles?

After that week, you had to tear me out of this place; I fuckin' went through withdrawal after I left. I was making fuckin' beignets and listening to jazz for a month [laughs].

"Quite."

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 25 Nov 2014, 20:21

zoomboogity wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/dave-grohl-sonic-highways-new-orleans-20141122

Did any of the culture stay with you when you returned to Los Angeles?

After that week, you had to tear me out of this place; I fuckin' went through withdrawal after I left. I was making fuckin' beignets and listening to jazz for a month [laughs].

He sounds charming, doesn't he?

How much did you already know about the city's musical and cultural history?

None, dude. Before I turned on the camera with Ben Jaffe from Preservation Hall [Jazz Band], I said, "I don't know shit about jazz and I don't know shit about New Orleans. We're rolling." A lot of the interviews were like that. I'm a music nerd, but I'm not a musicologist.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 25 Nov 2014, 20:25

I went to this bar in L.A. and went, "Can y'all make me a hurricane?" The bartender goes, "I don't know what a hurricane is." The owner comes up and says, "Well, we make hurricanes, but it's made from organic juices." I was like, "No! It's fuckin' Kool-Aid!"

Jesus Harold Christ on a fucking rubber crutch! It is possible for tourists to buy powdered hurricane mix in tchochke shops along Bourbon Street but the real thing is made from passionfruit juice. Organic juice is no obstacle to quality.

Reallly you can't beat that headline: "Dave Grohl Talks About Not Knowing Shit".
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Nov 2014, 20:35

bobzilla77 wrote:
I went to this bar in L.A. and went, "Can y'all make me a hurricane?" The bartender goes, "I don't know what a hurricane is." The owner comes up and says, "Well, we make hurricanes, but it's made from organic juices." I was like, "No! It's fuckin' Kool-Aid!"

Jesus Harold Christ on a fucking rubber crutch! It is possible for tourists to buy powdered hurricane mix in tchochke shops along Bourbon Street but the real thing is made from passionfruit juice. Organic juice is no obstacle to quality.

Reallly you can't beat that headline: "Dave Grohl Talks About Not Knowing Shit".

It's an interesting notion, one that I think about from time to time: If you only know and like the super-shitty version of a thing, can it be said that you like the thing or not?

Like, if you really, really like Rheingold beer in cans, say, but you don't like (whatever the Platonic ideal of beer is), do you 1) like beer or do you 2) not like beer but do like some sort of terrible, watery, degraded version of the idea of beer?

I could never really figure it out.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Nov 2014, 20:43

Quacoan wrote:

None, dude. Before I turned on the camera with Ben Jaffe from Preservation Hall [Jazz Band], I said, "I don't know shit about jazz and I don't know shit about New Orleans. We're rolling." A lot of the interviews were like that. I'm a music nerd, but I'm not a musicologist.

Honestly, there's something to be said for that. Most people in his position would try to pretend that they were experts even if they didn't know shit. If the series is meant to be educational, maybe it's good for those interviewed to approach it from an angle of "I have to explain this to people who know nothing about it."

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 25 Nov 2014, 20:46

It's an interesting notion, one that I think about from time to time: If you only know and like the super-shitty version of a thing, can it be said that you like the thing or not?

Like, if you really, really like Rheingold beer in cans, say, but you don't like (whatever the Platonic ideal of beer is), do you 1) like beer or do you 2) not like beer but do like some sort of terrible, watery, degraded version of the idea of beer?

I'm kind of that way with cigars. I like those 99cent Swisher Sweet cigarillos more than a big gnarly Cubano. That said - I would never plant myself in a fancy cigar shop and insist they roll me something equivalent to a Swisher Sweet.

And I guess, having experienced the city as a tourist, he may have developed a taste for those Slurpee like fountain drinks you can buy up and down the main drag which probably are all made from that Koolaid stuff, so, who am I to say he is not getting the taste experience of Real New Orleans?

Incidentally Dave, if you're reading, Faith & Flower near the Staples Center makes a Milk Punch that is very similar in flavor to a proper hurricane, with the added viscosity of the milk extraction. It's not made from powder but it IS killer.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 25 Nov 2014, 20:55

Charlie O. wrote:
Quacoan wrote:

Honestly, there's something to be said for that. Most people in his position would try to pretend that they were experts even if they didn't know shit. If the series is meant to be educational, maybe it's good for those interviewed to approach it from an angle of "I have to explain this to people who know nothing about it."

That's OK, but the way he said it was dismissive. It's a large subject with a respectable, colorful history. Not knowing is fine, but have a little respect.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 25 Nov 2014, 21:06

Not to mention walking into a bar in L.A. and using the term "y'all" when ordering a drink. Maybe that's what happens when you listen to jazz for a WHOLE MONTH.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Nov 2014, 21:10

bobzilla77 wrote:

I'm kind of that way with cigars. I like those 99cent Swisher Sweet cigarillos more than a big gnarly Cubano. That said - I would never plant myself in a fancy cigar shop and insist they roll me something equivalent to a Swisher Sweet.

And I guess, having experienced the city as a tourist, he may have developed a taste for those Slurpee like fountain drinks you can buy up and down the main drag which probably are all made from that Koolaid stuff, so, who am I to say he is not getting the taste experience of Real New Orleans?

Yeah, it raises interesting questions about the nature of what we call authenticity.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 25 Nov 2014, 21:10

Charlie O. wrote:
Quacoan wrote:

Nobody is more vocal than a new convert, though...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 25 Nov 2014, 21:20

I have no problem with the fact that he is not an expert on everything he brings to the show. That's just natural, and it can be fun to see things from the point of view of someone who is just finding out. I do that as a wroiter all the time, and try to just talk about it from my experience of it.

But please don't try to school me on what a hurricane is made from if you believe the correct answer is "Koolaid."

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 26 Nov 2014, 21:28

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/563-dc-85 ... d-dc-punk/

Now that all of Habibion’s tapes have been digitized (a favor from Roswell Films, the company producing Grohl’s current HBO series),

http://www.dc-85.com/

You bastard!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 26 Nov 2014, 21:36

The first Dag Nasty show - yippee!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 26 Nov 2014, 21:54

clive gash wrote:http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/563-dc-85-a-new-video-archive-for-old-dc-punk/

Now that all of Habibion’s tapes have been digitized (a favor from Roswell Films, the company producing Grohl’s current HBO series),

http://www.dc-85.com/

You bastard!

Scream at the Lake Braddock Community Center! We used to swim there. Did I get GROHLED as a child?!

Recovered memories are all flooding back to me...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 26 Nov 2014, 21:56

Hey kid, c'mon over here. You ever heard Govt Issue?

Return to “Yakety Yak”