Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways

Do talk back
the gorton gollum
cultural defective

Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways

Postby the gorton gollum » 22 Oct 2014, 16:52

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dogshit (56) wrote:I'm guessing maybe one of the admins took offence to the clear and deliberate attempt to bait me into a response

bobzilla77

Re: Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Oct 2014, 16:57

First episode - Chicago

Makes sense, that's a band I can very easily imagine him sitting in with. I'll bet he inspires them to let their hair down and rock like they haven't done since the late seventies.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Oct 2014, 17:28

The comments are interesting - I had no idea there were so many Foo Fighter fans out there. I guess I should've.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Oct 2014, 17:45

It sounds kind of interesting, reading that review. Hey I like recording studios too!

But I really wish there was not the "making of the new Foo Fighters album" aspect to it. I can just picture the reviews that are already being written "You can taste the greasy Chicago pizza in the melody of track X, in contrast to the spicy N'awlins gumbo of track Y." When you just KNOW it is going to taste mainly like Farina.

Without making too big a deal about it, Grohl contrasts himself with Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins, who admits in “Chicago” that he doesn’t really know or care much about the blues, and in “Washington D.C.” confesses that he’s never been part of any kind of indie scene.

Yeh, he's just that kind of guy. Especially the part about not making a big deal out of it.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 22 Oct 2014, 18:22

bobzilla77 wrote:Yeh, he's just that kind of guy. Especially the part about not making a big deal out of it.

:D :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TG

Postby TG » 22 Oct 2014, 18:23

I watched it over the weekend and found it to be very entertaining. They go through a thorough (if brief) history of the music from Chicago (Blues, Soul, Indie, Punk) and spend time talking to people from there. The parts with Steve Albini are worth the price of admission all alone.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming episodes.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 22 Oct 2014, 19:03

I'd like to see that.
I thought the Sound City documentary was fascinating.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 22 Oct 2014, 20:13

My final step towards complete acceptance of the fact that I live in pure Hicksville/flyover country came this weekend/the previous week when Chicago took it's Grohling as if we were...I dunno, Fargo or Cincinnati. That hurt a little.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Oct 2014, 21:33

Bent Fabric wrote:My final step towards complete acceptance of the fact that I live in pure Hicksville/flyover country came this weekend/the previous week when Chicago took it's Grohling as if we were...I dunno, Fargo or Cincinnati.

Or fucking Seattle.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 23 Oct 2014, 14:57

Not to be an asshole, but whatever the good intentions of this, it just seems so pandering. That whole "here's real music" sends my gag reflexes into overdrive. Fine, try and chronicle a region's rich musical history in 52 minutes but don't tell me what's important, man.

And to be honest, I am kind of tired of paunchy white guys telling me I should worship Buddy Guy. I don't and probably never will. Dave Grohl certainly isn't going to change that either. But why do they try so hard? I've always found that a little odd. Maybe Buddy Guy is great to drink with or always has good drugs, I don't know. You give Eric Clapton a microphone and eventually he starts verbally fellating Buddy Guy.

But showing Dave Grohl dramatically walk through snow while being pensive in that trailer was pretty great! That's so up its own ass! And then going further by showing the Foo Fighters perform their blandy rock at the end of the trailer just negates whatever small desire I had to view it. UNLESS, he tries to explain how his 'art' was somehow influenced by the blues, man. Now that might be funny. For a minute or two.

But I'm sure the DC episode will be great. Punk, man. Punk... think about it.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Oct 2014, 14:58

I could scarcely do a better job than nathan at summarizing this unending event.

TG

Postby TG » 23 Oct 2014, 15:22

Well, as I said, I enjoyed it. But then I don't have the hate for the Foo Fighters or Buddy Guy.

And, like him or not, Buddy Guy was an incredibly talented and influential guitarist. And. today, he's one of the few living musicians from that era of Chicago blues history.

Grohl and the Foo Fighters will never be as influential as Mr. Guy and are not nearly as talented. But they have a handful of songs that I like. Grohl seems like a decent enough guy and he's always eager to big up and thank those who came before him. And between this program and the Music City film he seems willing to step up and document some interesting stories about R&R. Why all the hate?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Oct 2014, 15:34

I quite like the idea of the show, and would be keen to see it. I like the cover art too. Grohl is just 'nice'. Apparently he really is.
At least this exercise gives a bit of a theme to latest album.

Here's a question: or two:

Who would we have doing a similar show in Britain?
Where should they visit?

London, Liverpool, Madchester, Brum, ?Sheffield, Leeds /Bradford, Glasgow, Belfast, Cardiff

I know who I'd like to present (Jaz Coleman) but we'd probably end up with Chris Martin.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 23 Oct 2014, 15:36

I don't hate Dave Grohl, he just makes me uncomfortable and a little sad. Why? The same reason the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame does (or even Rick Rubin). He and it are trying to gentrify what rock and roll is. Trying to make it safe and easily digestible. Instead of providing context, he seems intent on showing 'bloodlines' by route of influence or whatever the fuck he means. So much defining and labeling and putting things into compartments. There is no clear path in rock and roll nor should there be. But he seems so damn intent on proving there is. It's gross and kind of unnecessary.

Now, if he just wants to be an Art Linkletter of rock and roll and tell or chronicle neat stories of artists he likes, fine. It's his agenda that I find very uncomfortable.

TG

Postby TG » 23 Oct 2014, 15:40

nathan wrote:I don't hate Dave Grohl, he just makes me uncomfortable and a little sad. Why? The same reason the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame does (or even Rick Rubin). He and it are trying to gentrify what rock and roll is. Trying to make it safe and easily digestible. Instead of providing context, he seems intent on showing 'bloodlines' by route of influence or whatever the fuck he means. So much defining and labeling and putting things into compartments. There is no clear path in rock and roll nor should there be. But he seems so damn intent on proving there is. It's gross and kind of unnecessary.

Now, if he just wants to be an Art Linkletter of rock and roll and tell or chronicle neat stories of artists he likes, fine. It's his agenda that I find very uncomfortable.

I've always wanted to be the Art Linkletter of R&R.

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 23 Oct 2014, 15:40

Fonz wrote:I quite like the idea of the show, and would be keen to see it. I like the cover art too. Grohl is just 'nice'. Apparently he really is.
At least this exercise gives a bit of a theme to latest album.

Here's a question: or two:

Who would we have doing a similar show in Britain?
Where should they visit?

London, Liverpool, Madchester, Brum, ?Sheffield, Leeds /Bradford, Glasgow, Belfast, Cardiff

I know who I'd like to present (Jaz Coleman) but we'd probably end up with Chris Martin.

Didn't Peel do something?
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Oct 2014, 16:24

TG wrote:And, like him or not, Buddy Guy was an incredibly talented and influential guitarist. And. today, he's one of the few living musicians from that era of Chicago blues history.

Totemistic or not, I agree that Buddy Guy is/was an absolute monster guitarist.

Grohl seems like a decent enough guy and he's always eager to big up and thank those who came before him.

Hard to argue with that. I wouldn't say it's a musical virtue, but...who in their right mind would ever claim that it is...

I can absolutely picture him listening to the playback of something like "Big Me" and saying "Oh, Jesus - I'd really better work on my 'nice guy' business if I want to distract people from this dogshit."

(As an aside, the "nice guy" thing is not unanimously agreed upon by...people he and I both know in any real way - but...no one needs to know that. Public persona is huge in this line of work, and...much like the genuinely talented likes of Paul McCartney, I get that "being seen as a nice guy" is ultimately crucial to the person's self worth/image.)

And between this program and the Music City film he seems willing to step up and document some interesting stories about R&R. Why all the hate?

It's hard to summarize - where he and many others see this "real rock and roller" showing everyone where the good shit comes from, I see this annoyingly ubiquitous "Ned Flanders of rock" type playing this "Bono/Bob Hope with Nirvana cred" and turning up everywhere with his shitty music, his F bombs and fakebook level efforts to sit in with one great or another (not that I can blame the old guys for enabling him - I doubt that any of them would know "decent post-Led Zeppelin music" if it bit them in the nuts, and...as for the unsung heroes...I can hardly see any of them turning down the "bring out your dead" patronage...however deeply self promoting it might be - shit, I've seen one schmuck after another carting Rick Neilsen rather willingly around for 20 years now...I think he jumped onstage with Pearl Jam this weekend! Really looking forward to seeing him play slop all over the encore at the otherwise immaculate Fab Faux concert next month! He'll throw picks! Yay!)

But, ultimately? It's a gut feeling. Not sure WHEN, exactly, it started (SEVERAL years ago now, for me personally), but...the megalomania behind his "the world needs to know exactly when and where I saw the fuckin' concert that set me on the path to making my own utterly disposable brand of cheese whiz elevator punk" is, evidently, potentially irksome to a certain sector of people who are doing their best to dodge his unavoidable presence. He really does have this idea of himself as "the last man standing" - a real rocker who saw fuckin' hardcore shows (that he failed to learn ANYTHING from the experience demonstrates a certain undeniable focus, I suppose) and recorded on fuckin' tape, and used fuckin' microphones (again - I would argue that these things couldn't matter less in his case). Nathan's comparison to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame is deeply resonant - sure, if I know that it's bullshit, why should I care if anyone else knows? Yet...the guy has been so utterly fucking relentlessly in my face for the past several years, and the whole "it's an album, it's an HBO series, it's a dessert topping" campaign of patronage just reeks of the hollowest "Hey, I'm ACTUALLY promoting all these OTHER people!" type altruism. I tell you what - if he really wants to help genuinely talented musicians out...how bout he opens up his checkbook and quietly sends "guys from Minor Threat and Naked Raygun" monthly donations? It's one of those things like 21st Century Tom Petty - by virtue of still being around and having some link to a different era/different players/styles ("I was in fuckin' Nirvana, man!" - ultimately as essential to them as, say, the second drummer from Journey) , it evidently works as a placebo for...SOMETHING, and you get all sorts of people (Grohl, himself, hardly the least of them) convinced that he's the last real rebel or some bullshit like that.

Eh, maybe it really is a fart that only I can smell...

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 23 Oct 2014, 16:32

Bent Fabric wrote:
I can absolutely picture him listening to the playback of something like "Big Me" and saying "Oh, Jesus - I'd really better work on my 'nice guy' business if I want to distract people from this dogshit."

:lol:
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Oct 2014, 16:34

I've seen this movie before.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Oct 2014, 16:37

Dish the dirt on Grohl!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal