BCB 130 - Roxy Music!

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: BCB 130 - Roxy Music!

Postby naughty boy » 08 Dec 2017, 14:11

aye
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 19 Jan 2018, 14:53

BHUMP
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Jan 2018, 16:08

Guy E wrote:Roxy Music was not an officially sanctioned rock band during my college years in Central Illinois... that was Earth Shoe Lumberjack Shirt Grateful Dead Hot Tuna Allman Brothers Lynyrd Skynyrd territory.

But people were open-minded and I used to play Roxy Music a bit. My favorite memory is of playing For Your Pleasure one late night when a bunch of my friends were sitting around stoned. A couple of guys were clearly paying attention to the story-line of In Every Dream Home A Heartache and when Ferry got to the punch-line - I blew up your body... but you blew my mind - the room erupted in admiring cosmic laughter.

A few people were converted that night. My favorite personal Roxy moment.

It's posts like this that make me wish we had a "like" button. Hope Guy will make his way back here more often soon.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Jan 2018, 16:15

Why does nobody but me seem to love 'Over You'? The way it peaks and eddys is so gorgeous.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jan 2018, 16:16

fange wrote:Why does nobody but me seem to love 'Over You'? The way it peaks and eddys is so gorgeous.

I love it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Jan 2018, 16:21

aye, great record. Love it to bits
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Jan 2018, 16:22

Roxy Music were English in the best way for a California kid who loved pop music - eccentric, quirky, erudite and very foreign to my ears.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Jan 2018, 13:14

Minnie the Minx wrote:I love it.

Goat Boy wrote:aye, great record. Love it to bits

Come to my arms!

By the way, I've been enjoying live clips of the band from Musikladen today; if you haven't seen them, dig in!

Jonny Spencer wrote:

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 22 Jan 2018, 08:32

It's remarkable how confrontational their approach was in their vintage years. Certainly, there's something surprisingly violent to the way that Ferry launches into the words for "Remake/Remodel", all staccato yelps and barely suppressed menace. And then you have the sleaziness of Eno's synths, or the skronking sax of Adam McKay, to say nothing of Manzera's always inventive guitar playing: whether it's his coolly understated droning on "Every Dreamhome A Heartache" or the way the full throttle attack of the intro of "Mother of Pearl", which then subsides into something different and altogether beautiful soloing, matched of course by one of Ferry's most moving performances.

They scarcely put a foot wrong in the first five albums, though I agree with Geraint that the debut, as good as it is, isn't quite as fully-formed as what came next. That said, its lack of polish is sometimes an advantage: it seems like they're trying out new sounds on each track: like the way If There Is Something merges from a weird, almost country music-like vibe to this brutal, savage thing by the time Ferry launches into the middle eight. So, it's a fine debut that just sounds ever-so-slightly awkward. Stranded used to be my favourite, but these days I lean more towards For Your Pleasure, largely for its first side : I mean, the way it throws itself into "Do the Strand" and then gives way to the off-kilter crooning of "Beauty Queen" would be enough for most albums, but then you have to contend with the manic energy of "Editions of You" or the frankly weird "Strictly Confidential".
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 02 Feb 2018, 22:42

That special edition reissue of the debut came out today.

Anyone?

Available?

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 03 Feb 2018, 06:24

OCT wrote:That special edition reissue of the debut came out today.

Anyone?

Available?

nope!
wrong master
no Wilson stereo remix
to much money for what you get in the end
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Return to “Yakety Yak”