BCB 130 - Roxy Music!

Do talk back
trans-chigley express

Re: BCB 130 - Roxy Music!

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Oct 2014, 12:11

Goat Boy wrote:
Siren is the weakest of the first five but puzzlingly it appears to be the most acclaimed in America.

I love Siren I'm fairly new to Roxy as I didn't really know much beyond the hits until I bought the Complete Studio Works box set a couple of years ago. Siren was the one I played the most initially and was surprised that it wasn't regarded more highly.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2014, 12:13

Oh I love it too but I would place it just below the other ones.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2014, 12:16

Goat Boy wrote:
I'm surprised you're not more open to mark 2.

I've not really explored them much to be fair. But often you tend to take your cue from the singles, and I wasn't keen on most of them ( the love for 'More Than This' baffles me really) so that never encouraged me to venture further.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Oct 2014, 12:17

The first 5 are very good indeed and I can't believe I've never bothered with them before. Great to discover them finally. I don't mind the later ones tbh. A bit smooth perhaps but there are some cracking tunes there. Same Old Scene is especially good I think.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 02 Oct 2014, 12:18

Goat Boy wrote: Something like Avalon with its cheesy silk sheets romance and pillowy synth pads was like the very antithesis of everything I actually looked for in music. It turned me off for a long time I have to say but thankfully as time went on its charms wore me down and I’ve really come round to it in a big, big way these past few years. There’s some fucking great songs on there: More Than This, obviously, is a highlight of their entire career (love that synth part at the end), Take A Chance With Me, To Turn You On, fucking True To Life. It’s so predictable to criticise 80s production techniques but Avalon is a perfect example of just how gorgeous those sounds could be and its gossamer beauty is expertly realised.

I love this description. This is how I feel about later Roxy, too. I'm a fan all the way through Roxy, including the "silk sheets" music. Avalon is a superb album. It's just different from their previous work.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 02 Oct 2014, 12:25

trans-chigley express wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
Siren is the weakest of the first five but puzzlingly it appears to be the most acclaimed in America.

I love Siren I'm fairly new to Roxy as I didn't really know much beyond the hits until I bought the Complete Studio Works box set a couple of years ago. Siren was the one I played the most initially and was surprised that it wasn't regarded more highly.

Siren is likely best known because "Love is the Drug" still gets airplay here.

But I like this best:

kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 02 Oct 2014, 12:35

Goat Boy wrote:More Than This, obviously, is a highlight of their entire career (love that synth part at the end)

yes!

Goat Boy wrote:Take A Chance With Me

YES!! after 'Angel Eyes', my favourite from MKII, I think.

And nobody talks about 'Trash', do they? Too 'New Wave'?

The G Experience! wrote:Controversial opinion - the debut is actually the weakest of the classic first five.

You've said that before. It's the most difficult, certainly, but actually its magic is all on side one where they manage that balancing act of weirdness and accessibility. At least, I think that's what's going on! Most people have no problem getting into it at all.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 02 Oct 2014, 12:42

I've got Oh Yeah as an earworm now. Thanks for that.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2014, 12:49

Belle Lettre wrote:I've got Oh Yeah as an earworm now. Thanks for that.

It's a great one. Similar to Dance Away it's one of those songs that I ignored for years but then one day they just started kicking my arse.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 02 Oct 2014, 12:57

Goat Boy wrote:Dance Away

See? I just think that's beautiful. It evokes exactly what it means to, and gorgeously so.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2014, 13:03

look at them gays wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:More Than This, obviously, is a highlight of their entire career (love that synth part at the end)

yes!

Goat Boy wrote:Take A Chance With Me

YES!! after 'Angel Eyes', my favourite from MKII, I think.

And nobody talks about 'Trash', do they? Too 'New Wave'?

The G Experience! wrote:Controversial opinion - the debut is actually the weakest of the classic first five.

You've said that before. It's the most difficult, certainly, but actually its magic is all on side one where they manage that balancing act of weirdness and accessibility. At least, I think that's what's going on! Most people have no problem getting into it at all.

Side one has the big hitters but I adore the whole thing really.

The Bob seems slightly unloved but some of the sounds on there are just incredible andEnos part towards the end is just so good. I mean it’s not one of those songs you would reach for on its own very often (or ever) but as part of the album then, yeah, I think it’s fantastic and weird.

Chance Meeting is sorta perfect I think. I mean we’ve all been there, we can all relate and the final line is so great. Again, the fucking synth sounds and Manzanera's solo is just right. Would You Believe is wonderful, Sea Breezes is haunting (“it’s a shaaaaaaaaaa-ame”) and Bitters End is such a typically odd ending; this queer little doo-wop thing. Ridiculous! I love it! Viva Roxy!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2014, 13:27

I put my views on the first Roxy album here..
http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=120139&hilit=breezes

I think Dougie is still in bcb disgrace for some of his comments on The Velvets.. :)

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2014, 13:33

I was probably pissed

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2014, 13:42

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Yip. Pissed.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2014, 13:44

look at them gays wrote:

Quacoan wrote:I've never thought "Street Life" was up to much. I don't know why so many people rate it so highly -- or why I don't.

Oh, man! I LOVE that one! Just little things - the weirdy four-chord intro (repeated later in the breaks); the way he sings 'Continental style/Strasse girls might', and the 'wooo!' later; the fade with the whirring synth and the handclaps. Best single of '73. And then on the album, like that one's not left you flattened, you're straight into 'buttercup daisies....'.

Oh yes! It also has that combination of one of the greatest intros combined with one of the great opening lines ("wish everybody would leave me alone yeah"). It sets things up perfectly.
Lest we forget..

Watching the clip also makes clear the debt to The Velvets, with the way they use the viola/violin to add this contrapuntal din to the chorus; a really effective way of giving the track a dramatic edge.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Oct 2014, 13:58

Bent Fabric wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Dance Away

See? I just think that's beautiful. It evokes exactly what it means to, and gorgeously so.

Nothing wrong with 'Dance Away' - just a little smoother version than "prime" Roxy sound-wise, but a class tune.

I'm glad to see some love for Flesh + Blood tracks. I love it, but the synths are an immediate turn-off for many I'm sure. But a lot of the originals on the album, like the title track, are pure Ferry/Roxy class.

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 02 Oct 2014, 14:02

"Streetlife" is magnificent. Possibly my favourite RM track, although I love "All I Want Is You" as well.

"Flesh & Blood" also has some triffic tracks on it, apart from the obvious ones, like "No Strange Delight".

For me, it's the transition album between old and new RM.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Oct 2014, 14:56

fangedango! wrote:I'm glad to see some love for Flesh + Blood tracks. I love it, but the synths are an immediate turn-off for many I'm sure. But a lot of the originals on the album, like the title track, are pure Ferry/Roxy class.

I suppose I'll have to re-assess this one. It was the first that came out during my fan-dom and I despised it. A very weak effort, I thought, and no Paul Thompson, but studio hacks? Feh.

Too anodyne and "normal" sounding.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Oct 2014, 16:18

Manifesto is a big lurching beast of a song. Love it. Also tge throw away b side Always Uknowing from the Avalon sessions. Fantastic.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 02 Oct 2014, 16:35

I like Flesh + Blood a lot. Like most fans, I was turned-off by the presence of two cover versions... creeping Ferry solo syndrome. But 8 Miles High brilliantly recast the song for the cocaine 80's and why rewrite Midnight Hour when there's a perfectly-wrought song that says it all?

I think it's great that the band's Mk.I and Mk.II output is so distinctive.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Return to “Yakety Yak”