- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: BCB 130 - REM

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 Oct 2014, 20:18

nathan wrote:
Copehead wrote:
hey white boy you chasin our FRUIT CLOWN wrote:Why 'Me In Honey'? Why? Why would you call a song that? Why?

Because he uses honey as a metaphor for love/sex in the song?

Man, fuck THIS! I think this in a nutshell is why I can't stomach R.E.M. and Stipe in particular. It's just so fucking stupid sometimes. When they are at their worst, they are downright embarrassing.

Precisely.

You should post more often, Nathan. :)
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Oct 2014, 22:28

It's a song title for fucks sake and it isn't even quoted in the fucking song so who gives a fuck?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 Oct 2014, 22:31

Because it's the fucking stupidest fucking song title that has ever been. That's fucking why.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 Oct 2014, 22:32

There's a lot of honey in this world
Baby this honey's from me
You've got to do what you do
Do it with me

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Oct 2014, 22:36

You do realise that quoting pop lyrics to show how shit they are is about the most pointless thing you can do on BCB?

It makes no difference to me at all.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 Oct 2014, 22:38

It's a very fair target, put it that way. It's Stipe and his empty-headed bullshit. I fucking hate it like nothing else.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Oct 2014, 22:45

It rarely bothers me and it certainly doesn't feature on my favourite albums of theirs.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 01 Oct 2014, 22:57

Goat Boy wrote:It rarely bothers me and it certainly doesn't feature on my favourite albums of theirs.

Why not? It is a great circular VU-esque riff with a great c/w style vocal from Kate Pierson

The lyrics are rubbish, but it isn't as if the lyrics aren't rubbish in around 99% of rock and pop music.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Oct 2014, 23:00

I meant his lyrics rarely bother me and my two favourite albums are the ones where he's mumbling anyway.

I like the song.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 01 Oct 2014, 23:12

Goat Boy wrote:I meant his lyrics rarely bother me and my two favourite albums are the ones where he's mumbling anyway.

I like the song.

bonza!
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

oliltownofkathlehem
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby oliltownofkathlehem » 02 Oct 2014, 00:01

Quacoan wrote:No, the Dave Clark 5 were good!!

... and with such lyrics of substance, especially the ones they wrote themselves!!

i'm in pieces bits and pieces...

next up: REM and their blatant herman's hermits phase.

Qube

Postby Qube » 02 Oct 2014, 01:09

I love them unashamedly, every album (ok, bar Around the Sun, which is a bit turgid). There might be a few bands I like more but REM seem to be the one band I have a hard time having any kind of objective critique to.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 Oct 2014, 01:12

Copehead wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:It rarely bothers me and it certainly doesn't feature on my favourite albums of theirs.

Why not? It is a great circular VU-esque riff with a great c/w style vocal from Kate Pierson

The lyrics are rubbish, but it isn't as if the lyrics aren't rubbish in around 99% of rock and pop music.

There's rubbish as in "not Keats" and there's FUCKING RUBBISH as in he should be taken out and shot. Different things.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

oliltownofkathlehem

Postby oliltownofkathlehem » 02 Oct 2014, 12:54

Qube wrote:... but REM seem to be the one band I have a hard time having any kind of objective critique to.

that's okay. after all, there are people from the other side of the fence who are having their own issyews with that.

look at them gays wrote:It's Stipe and his empty-headed bullshit. I fucking hate it like nothing else.

Quacoan wrote:There's rubbish as in "not Keats" and there's FUCKING RUBBISH as in he should be taken out and shot.

... as fair and objective as the day is purple. *sigh* i luvv this board.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2014, 15:48

I think when you put on an album from any artist or band, there's a little buy-in involved.

For example, when I put on the Stooges, I know I'm going to get lyrics like "I wanna be your dog, c'mon," as the height of their poetic sensibilities.

And I know that I'm going to get some pretentious bullshit from Stipe as well as some very nice turns of phrase. I accept that one comes with the other.

When I eat a chili dog, I know it's going to taste delicious but I'll probably put on 5 lbs.

I also like bands that are music fans and that's certainly Stipe, Buck, etc.

There's a really nice version, to my ears, of them doing To Sir with Love, live. Great stuff - but then I love the song myself.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

oliltownofkathlehem

Postby oliltownofkathlehem » 02 Oct 2014, 17:15

i like their cover of wichita lineman, too. mwhaha.

i don't really care if somebody hates a band's lyrics and gets all hoppin about it. we are all our own judges of what is keats, non-keats, anti-keats. we make our decisions on how much it actually matters with the music at hand.

the thing that cracks me up is a certain double standard. ya know... when people will knock what they see as crappy lyrics in one band they don't like and excuse it away in another band they happen to love. i like to call that the yellow matter custard dripping from an abba zabba gabba gabba hey double standard. (but then it's all about the music, man!!!)

all views are welcome here, of course. just as i am sure that both quaco and coan will understand entirely if the next time i see them raving over music they love with what could at best be called questionable lyrics underneath, i will quite lovingly and sweetly nail em right to the wall for it.

call it poetic justice.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 Oct 2014, 18:49

Lyrics aren't bad or good, they just work or don't work, and it's usually for highly personal reasons. I don't think you can look at gobbledygook lyrics and say they are bad necessarily, and not all poetic lyrics that verge on the pretentious are bad either. The key is in how they work or don't work. I admit, I give my favorite artists some leeway. Some of "I Am the Walrus" is great, and some might not be, but I accept it all because John Lennon has done a lot for me and/or he's just someone I accept for many reasons. This morning, I was listening to a messy live version of "Cold Turkey" (side three of STINYC), one of the most self-absorbed songs in pop music, and really enjoying it. Someone could point to those lyrics and say they are bad.

The way that Stipe crafts his lyrics and the band does the songs just rubs me the wrong way. It's not that he's pretentious or bad, because those things can be good! It's just the way he does it. It's like a flavor you don't like: you might describe it as sour or bitter, but there are sour and bitter things that taste good too. You know it when you come across it and you try to describe it the best you can.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Oct 2014, 18:54

The funny thing for me is that Quaco is generally one of the more generous and thoughtful people here when it comes to music, usually trying to look at even stuff he doesn't like in some kind of positive light. So I love that REM seems to be the one band that can make him get all uncharacteristically catty.

We should all have a band like that. :lol:
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

oliltownofkathlehem

Postby oliltownofkathlehem » 02 Oct 2014, 20:09

Quacoan wrote:Lyrics aren't bad or good, they just work or don't work, and it's usually for highly personal reasons. I don't think you can look at gobbledygook lyrics and say they are bad necessarily, and not all poetic lyrics that verge on the pretentious are bad either. The key is in how they work or don't work. I admit, I give my favorite artists some leeway. Some of "I Am the Walrus" is great, and some might not be, but I accept it all because John Lennon has done a lot for me and/or he's just someone I accept for many reasons. This morning, I was listening to a messy live version of "Cold Turkey" (side three of STINYC), one of the most self-absorbed songs in pop music, and really enjoying it. Someone could point to those lyrics and say they are bad.

indeed they could. very easily. thanks for the admission. you've saved me the trouble of pointing it out extensively for you myself. REM, while not the beatles, has done much for me for the last thirty years. i'm sure you can appreciate that as well when it comes to how we view enjoyable elements and leeway.

Quacoan wrote:The way that Stipe crafts his lyrics and the band does the songs just rubs me the wrong way. It's not that he's pretentious or bad, because those things can be good! It's just the way he does it. It's like a flavor you don't like: you might describe it as sour or bitter, but there are sour and bitter things that taste good too. You know it when you come across it and you try to describe it the best you can.

well, i do get that. but yer previous reaction *did* surprise me. see hatz on uncharacteristically catty. saying stipe should be taken out and shot for rubbish lyrics sounded somewhat, shall we say, extreme coming from you, especially for a band that just isn't really to yer taste for whatever reasons.

however, i am glad to see the problem seems to be more not to yer taste than it is fucquin food poisoning. mwhaha. i don't really believe REM deserves to get the blame for any person puking or shooting anyone else. ahem. not what i call a fair rap at all.