BCB 130 - queen

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Re: BCB 130 - queen

Postby Quaco » 25 Sep 2014, 17:56

The G Experience! wrote:It may well be. Their musical We Will Rock You was the most popular London stage production for about ten years. It feels like brainwashing. :lol:

I think that's the difference between us. You just think of them as a really good 70s rock band and can't understand the ire they attract, while I'm reacting against the cultural phenomenon...although that latter perspective is undoubtedly shaped by the fact I never liked them growing up.

It's definitely a British thing. We never hear about them here. Seriously.

In the '70s and '80s, yes, along with REO, Styx, Led Zeppelin, and Kiss, but hardly ever these days. I don't think the US ever "got" them really anyway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 25 Sep 2014, 18:01

to leave aside, for the moment, the monumentally hot issyew of queen at live aid and just how watersheddy it is or isn't...

i wanna get back to the music.

i'm with hatz on the front six albums being great. i think it's an incredible album run, one of the best in the 70s. they lost me somewhere inside of jazz (although unlike hatz, i luvv the song fat-bottomed girls. then again, i would.) after that, they became a singles band for me, although it's not very surprising to me. in many ways, the 80s were more a singles kinda decade for me, at least by comparison. i bought the comps, though, and i'm still fond of those singles, including the soundtrack stuff. (suddenly, i miss the count's flash! aaaaaeeeaaaaaaaahhh thread. actual thread title spelling, uncertain.)

i *am* gonna go back and listen to those albums, though. i know i will find stuff i like but left by the wayside at the time, caught up in the whole neo 80s thing.

my fave album has always been a tossup between night at the opera or queen II, depending on my mood. (reap has swayed me more towards II, as he is more of a metalhead, and he still has problems with some of those shorter tracks on opera... too out there or broadwayish for him.)

i do favor those shorter tracks on II... funny how love is, nevermore... wonderful lil seque tracks or maybe rest stops between the more epic material. the ones on opera *are* sillier (lazing on a sunday afternoon, seaside rendevouz). but the highs on opera are quite fantastic to me, a step up from some of the raw release of II. and there *is* some kinda logic behind those sillier relief tracks.

strange, that i'm gliding over sheer heart attack. most of the tracks i put up in my OP come from that album. i play it as an album less, and i have no idea why. mwhahaha. perhaps i should think on that, after i locate foodstuffs.

p.s. samoan? you really have no idea how jealous i am. i would explode, but then someone else would hafta clean it all up.

der nister

Postby der nister » 25 Sep 2014, 18:28

Quacoan wrote:
The G Experience! wrote:It may well be. Their musical We Will Rock You was the most popular London stage production for about ten years. It feels like brainwashing. :lol:

I think that's the difference between us. You just think of them as a really good 70s rock band and can't understand the ire they attract, while I'm reacting against the cultural phenomenon...although that latter perspective is undoubtedly shaped by the fact I never liked them growing up.

In the '70s and '80s, yes, along with REO, Styx, Led Zeppelin, and Kiss, but hardly ever these days. I don't think the US ever "got" them really anyway.

they toured here pretty heavily and did very well up to the mid-80s
when they became too popified and lost their hardcore audience

in the early 90s they ran an infomercial for their latest with Axl Rose, Aerosmith etc., all talking how great Queen was and the new album was a return to form, that album has yet to go gold, i believe
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 25 Sep 2014, 18:29

For me, Queen was finished when Greatest Hits was released. Anyone who 'clapped" along to "Radio Ga Ga" at Live Aid should be ashamed of themselves.

Keep yourself alive,

Man on the Prowl.
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

kath

Postby kath » 25 Sep 2014, 18:35

Phenomenal Cat wrote:Anyone who 'clapped" along to "Radio Ga Ga" at Live Aid should be ashamed of themselves.

are yew kidding me? with that song, they deserved applause just for the fucquin irony.

gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 25 Sep 2014, 18:42

Phenomenal Cat wrote:Man on the Prowl.

The guy who sang this must've got some fine poontang.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 25 Sep 2014, 18:46

Hot Space (spring 1982 - and, seriously, THAT'S your fucking album title!??! Why not something catchy like Duck Soup?) had an enormous amount of hype behind it upon release in America - I remember the "burnout FM station" in NOLA hyping it as if it were a new Beatles record (I bought the damn thing - had a devil of a time getting rid of it!). They were coming off Greatest Hits, "Under Pressure", "Another One Bites The Dust" - I'm not certain that they'd ever been bigger Stateside.

And yet - the subsequent US tour would be a bit of a bust. Muted audience responses, smaller venues ("We weren't packing them in like we used to."). They would never come back.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 25 Sep 2014, 19:10

I remember hearing somewhere that the video to I Want to Break Free was the final straw for them in America. Whether this was MTV or the label or the critics or public, I don't know, but I remember the idea of drag didn't translate well :lol:

kath

Postby kath » 25 Sep 2014, 19:14

Bent Fabric wrote:Hot Space (spring 1982 - and, seriously, THAT'S your fucking album title!??! Why not something catchy like Duck Soup?) had an enormous amount of hype behind it upon release in America - I remember the "burnout FM station" in NOLA hyping it as if it were a new Beatles record (I bought the damn thing - had a devil of a time getting rid of it!). They were coming off Greatest Hits, "Under Pressure", "Another One Bites The Dust" - I'm not certain that they'd ever been bigger Stateside.

And yet - the subsequent US tour would be a bit of a bust. Muted audience responses, smaller venues ("We weren't packing them in like we used to."). They would never come back.

i don't even remember any of that. for the most part, i was in a different universe by then. WTUL and the furs in baton rouge. not that i didn't multitask with some of my fave older rock bands, but i somehow lost queen in real time then, when i still had the chance to see em live. they weren't the only casualties. weird blind spots happen when yer shifting gears.

der nister

Postby der nister » 25 Sep 2014, 19:18

We've had at least one, if not two threads regarding Queen's American downfall.
So they seem to be a band on BCB's mind.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 25 Sep 2014, 19:24

bhoywonder wrote:I remember hearing somewhere that the video to I Want to Break Free was the final straw for them in America. Whether this was MTV or the label or the critics or public, I don't know, but I remember the idea of drag didn't translate well :lol:

I don't even remember that video at the time. I don't feel it had anything to do with the change. I think it was Flash Gordon and Hot Space that killed their momentum over here. I'm sure they kept selling and everything to fans, but I don't remember them being talked about any more post-"Crazy Little Thing Called Love". Not that Americans aren't homophobic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

robin goodfellow

Postby robin goodfellow » 25 Sep 2014, 19:38

Quacoan wrote:

The US got it right then.

kath

Postby kath » 25 Sep 2014, 19:48

on i wanna break free: i remember the video and thought it was a riot. i don't recall hearing about any flak. however, i'm not a good person to go by when it comes to a typical 'american' response. whatever that *really* means in terms of any consensus at the time, sumthin tells me it aint exactly new orleans. mwahaha. but quaco's right in terms of general homophobia, especially back then.

maybe it was just timing? aerosmith pulled off video drag three years later.

.. well... in tiny lil flashes.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 30 Sep 2014, 18:34

This is FANTASTIC!

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 30 Sep 2014, 18:34

Sound-wise - set list - performances - This is Five Stars, easy. I have a few shows from the early days of Queen, so I knew some of the arrangements, but none of that prepared me for this. They were so well-oiled (right, Freddie?), and of all people, it's ROGER who shines. Seriously, I never really rated the ROgre Battle. I can't think of a single track where he hurries the tempo or doesn't have complete control over the arrangement.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 30 Sep 2014, 22:04

I've been locked out of BCB all day for trying to reply to this thread. I actually managed to get some of my response ^^^^^^ posted, but I'm clearly paying the price for posting about Queen.

So, in short - New Live CD. Very good. Vocally, there may be some cheating but it sounds damn good. Faith will be restored, minds blown, etc.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Sep 2014, 22:32

The thing I like about it is it captures them in the act of becoming stars - this is before "Bohemian Rhapsody," when they'd had only a few UK hits, and only one US hit ("Killer Queen"). I often talk about bands and 'swagger,' it seems to me they have it here in spades. And unlike Zeppelin and the Stones where they obtained that swagger based on being the greatest band in the world, there's Queen acting like their shit don't stink, just as they're emerging. Doesn't work for everybody, but it obviously worked for them. That and the fact that they raised the ante musically rather than levelling out.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 30 Sep 2014, 22:49

Apart from the ubiquitous singles, I have never listened to Queen. Maybe I should? You all seem to love them. A lot. I had no idea.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Sep 2014, 23:04

nathan wrote:Apart from the ubiquitous singles, I have never listened to Queen.

Me neither. Never really felt the urge.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 30 Sep 2014, 23:07

nathan wrote:Apart from the ubiquitous singles, I have never listened to Queen. Maybe I should?

No don't! They're terrible!
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging