BCB 130 - queen

Do talk back
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

BCB 130 - queen

Postby kath » 22 Sep 2014, 18:22

(the curtain opens to reveal clouds of billowing black smoke. could it be a darkling plain, swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight, where ignorant armies clash by night? are the kings of beasts now counting their days?)

... fucquin smoke alarm. (she tries to knock it off the kitchen ceiling with a broom handle. kills the burner on the stove.)

cmon now. no need for high drama in these days of auto-tuned invertebrates and navel-gazing peachfuzz. no call for glammy metal or varied songcraft in a sea of milky sameness. no strange, shiny, horned outlanders allowed in three-chord-city.

forget the world. BCB itself is a kinder, fuzzier board. there really is no place here for violence or my multiple personalities to act out any longer. it is more important to stick to the true cause: to win over converts in seemly fashion rather than to draw blood just becuz it's fun. of course.

(she takes a few swigs of coffee, then straps on her armor, piece by piece. makes the sign of the cross as she looks skyward.)

okayyy, you bickering buncha bitches. BRING. IT. ON.

ya know what pisses me right the fucque off? i get it when people don't dig classic rock. (kinda. infidels.) i get it all the more if they can't take bombast, flamboyance, in-yer-face personality, over-the-topness, the occasional broadway show tune. what bothers me: a band with such talent and such range getting reduced regularly to some version of amps in drag or stadium filler.

freddie himself was a polarizing figure. it sounds oh so stereotypical now to say that, back in the 70s, some of the guys i knew just couldn't handle freddie and his freddieisms. they could take campy in kiss or alice cooper. but freddie was another beastie entirely, a unique, exotic creature. actually, just the name queen was enough for some to merit all-american heteroid ewwww.

happily, those types were far outnumbered by the people who were going, "oh, fucque man, listen to this!!" that was my brother's attitude, when he first handed me his queen albums. queen's music was an ear-stretching experience. as overplayed as a track like bohemian rhapsody is, it was a mind-blower to hear on radio at the time. just think about it for a minute. how could such a thing get airtime in the first place, let alone become so hugely popular, culturally iconic?? a miracle, really. a kind of... magic.

but never mind all that. the point is the music, the variety. the tracks that didn't get much radio time.

converts in waiting: try this one, from start to finish. (she asks with gooey eyes and a smile.)

... how was that, with its wispy, bittersweet self?

or maybe this one:

how about some taylor-made sway?

... a lil chronicle of may?

(she scans the room, the smile disappearing. her eyes flip to blood red. cue smoke rings and dust.)

uh huh.

oh nooo. i will keep control. maybe just a lil trip to the amusement park, hmmm?

(the above, one of two songs i play whenever i want an immediate dose of cranked up, gweetarred... self-motivation. the other, purple's flight of the rat. it's called therapy, people.)

hmm. maybe i need to find a middle ground. more of yer basic (though queen overlaid) ass-shakers.

.. oops. getting carried away.

ya know what? fucque middle ground. i want that epic sound.

sumthin tells me i'm losing my way. i hate when that happens.

maybe i need to let other queen fans provide balance. maybe others should carry the flag into the 80s. after all, the band had many luvly, catchy hits during that decade. sometimes, it is wise to lay down one's sword if the war seems futile or the battle pointless. one could always take up embroidering. mind ya, i still don't have the live at the rainbow stuff. no, i do not. gotdammit.

after further contemplation, i realize that this whole process has been very cathartic for me. i feel like i've worked out so many issyews and found a brand of peace with my many inner selves.

well, whaddya expect from an opera, a happy ending?

... the ending is the least important part, fucquers.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Re: BCB 130 - queen

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 22 Sep 2014, 18:31

Err....great post.

Great band.

Great all round.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Sep 2014, 18:42

I will come back to this but fine opening post!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 22 Sep 2014, 21:05

It's here! It's here! Kath's Queen thread.

Let me get a bottle of red wine and my reading slippers.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 22 Sep 2014, 21:09

Great Queen Kath wrote: i still don't have the live at the rainbow stuff. no, i do not. gotdammit.

I ordered the Blu-Ray/CD combo pack. Should be here today or tomorrow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Sep 2014, 21:45

They were the first band I ever loved so I have a special relationship with them.

A lot of 'serious' music fans find them ridiculous which please me no end I have to say. When I first heard them as a kid I thought all it made perfect sense really. I mean, why wouldn't you want a rock band that could switch from the magnificent bombast of Seven Seas of Rhye or Liar to the smoochies with goosebumps sweetness of You're My Best friend or the proto-metal of Stone Cold Crazy or the full blown prog-phantasmagoria of The Prophets Songs (fucking absurd but utterly fucking glorious) within the space of a few tracks? In terms of eclecticism they are second only to The Beatles I guess. They were extremely melodic, immensely talented, they rocked like a bastard and they changed my life.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 22 Sep 2014, 21:47

kath wrote:Image

Shouldn't this say "Queen K" ?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 22 Sep 2014, 22:08

Goat Boy wrote:They were the first band I ever loved so I have a special relationship with them.

A lot of 'serious' music fans find them ridiculous which please me no end I have to say. When I first heard them as a kid I thought all it made perfect sense really. I mean, why wouldn't you want a rock band that could switch from the magnificent bombast of Seven Seas of Rhye or Liar to the smoochies with goosebumps sweetness of You're My Best friend or the proto-metal of Stone Cold Crazy or the full blown prog-phantasmagoria of The Prophets Songs (fucking absurd but utterly fucking glorious) within the space of a few tracks? In terms of eclecticism they are second only to The Beatles I guess. They were extremely melodic, immensely talented, they rocked like a bastard and they changed my life.

Of course, especially the bold part. And I couldn't have said it better myself. And in terms of melodic stylistic arrangements, they summarily defeat The Beatles at their own game. As in the parlance of BCB, "Good Company" pisses all over "When I'm 64".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 23 Sep 2014, 00:07

Quacoan wrote:And in terms of melodic stylistic arrangements, they summarily defeat The Beatles at their own game. As in the parlance of BCB, "Good Company" pisses all over "When I'm 64".

As far as "we've created our Pepper", A Night at the Opera ticks all the right boxes. And I'd have to take "The Prophet's Song" over "Within You Without You" any day.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Sep 2014, 00:21

Sheer Heart Attack is their Abbey Road (and, really - for me, personally - the top of the mountain for them). Side A has a more traditional structure of individual songs, and Side B seems to really exist as one piece.

Instrumentally, I tend to think of Roger Taylor as generally being considerably outclassed by the other three (yet, his falsetto is absolutely unreal).

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 23 Sep 2014, 00:33

It's funny that Kiss wanted to be the heavy metal Beatles, with each 'character" writing his own songs, but Queen actually did a damn good job of promoting the talents of four writers. In the end, Queen ended up sounding more like the heavy metal Beach Boys. Kiss ended up as a band of passengers.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 23 Sep 2014, 04:56

Like Goatboy, Queen were one of my first bands. Started with a borrowed copy of Queen ll still my favourite. Finished with A Night At The Opera album wise but with plenty of great singles still to come.

Parts of ll and Sheer Heart Attack and Opera still take me back to being 13 and marvelling at the secret life that they sang about. Still intrigued by Hoople and Me.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Sep 2014, 06:00

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
Quacoan wrote:And in terms of melodic stylistic arrangements, they summarily defeat The Beatles at their own game. As in the parlance of BCB, "Good Company" pisses all over "When I'm 64".

As far as "we've created our Pepper", A Night at the Opera ticks all the right boxes. And I'd have to take "The Prophet's Song" over "Within You Without You" any day.

Boy, you both nail exactly what I loved about them - they're my first love too, or rather second, after Elton John - but then you had to take it a step too far.

The eclecticism and the swagger of 'we can try anything, no matter how outrageous, and make it work' is what I loved about them, and still love about the first six albums. Likewise four good songwriters (though Taylor is the worst of the four, he had his moments). Where the Beatles comparison falls down is that it's ultimately craft - the emotional commitment on the part of both performer and listener is not quite the same.

I remember having a discussion with Quaco about who of the main songwriters is Lennon and who is McCartney, I think we decided they both have elements of both - May is the more instinctive and emotional, and is a better lyricist, but is also the more conventional. Mercury is more experimental and odd, but also more melodic and craftsmanlike. Add Deacon who's a very solid pop songwriter and Taylor who is kind of the Entwistle of the band, and it's a pretty impressive combo.

It went pretty far south after a while, but I still love the first six records and bits and pieces of some of the ones after that. And I think furthermore, crafty though it may be, to imagine it a gutless studio creation and no more misses the mark as well; I think the good fortune of the combination of the personalities and (in particular) the voices, has a bit of magic to it.

And I do think there are a few songs - "Killer Queen" and "Millionaire's Waltz" in particular - that really don't have any precedent in the rock world - the first is as much from the Noel Coward tradition, and the second has a classical influence that's really all powdered wigs and fancy parlor rooms without being any kind of prog move. Those are the songs I generally use to make their case, though on sheer nerve, making something like "Bohemian Rhapsody" actually work (I'll leave it to the individual whether it hits anyone's pleasure center or not, but I can't picture anyone thinking it's a failure of ability rather than taste) has got to be considered an accomplishment of some kind.

Best song - See above, and add "Brighton Rock" and "You're My Best Friend" to the discussion as well.

Best album - Sheer Heart Attack. the next two might reach higher heights, but both have some weak moments. This is the right combination of adventurous newness and confidence.

Most underrated album - Jazz is the beginning of the end, and I really hate "Fat Bottom Girls" with a passion, but a lot of it still has the old swagger and eclecticism. It's aged surprisingly well for me.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 23 Sep 2014, 10:21

Their post 1980 stuff is not bad at all.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Sep 2014, 10:29

Much fondness. Sheer Heart Attack is my favourite.

Song: Killer Queen, oh and many others..

Hell, I even like Get Down Make Love.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 23 Sep 2014, 10:45

Great song writers

We used to listen to Live Killers a lot when I was a youth
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 24 Sep 2014, 12:57

Jeemo wrote:Like Goatboy, Queen were one of my first bands.

For me too. My group of buddies at school were likeminded: the corridors between classrooms were abuzz as were breaktimes and dinner hour.
My friend Kathryn got four tickets for the Earl's Court, London 1977 concert. It was my first *grown up* arena experience They were phenomenal and the concert lighting with this massive, spinning, revolving crown suspended over the stage, with lights shooting out from every point and strut of it was jaw dropping.

I found this link to it on goggle...
http://www.queenconcerts.com/lighting-rigs/1977-earls.html

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 24 Sep 2014, 13:01

Copehead wrote:We used to listen to Live Killers a lot when I was a youth

My older sister (definitely a "bad teenager" in that late 70s/Over The Edge fashion) saw that tour and I've been jealous of her ever since.

Me? When I was 12, I bought the LPs for $1 each from a friend of my parents (I think he was selling off his belongings to pay for a vacation/trip). Live Killers was $2, and quickly became my favorite for a year or so.

pig bodine

Postby pig bodine » 24 Sep 2014, 13:36

I don't think any band, with the exception of Sabbath and the Wipers, had as strong a start as Queen. Their first three are flawless, and I'm digging the bejeezus out of the Rainbow! 1974 set. I saw them in 1976 with Thin Lizzy. You can read all about it in my new book, "Why Can't You Be More Like Tom ? ; A Portrait Of a Disappointing Teenage Slackjawed Dirtbag."
It would have been cool have seen th on Broadway with MTH, but I was a wee spud then,

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 24 Sep 2014, 13:52

99 wrote:Their post 1980 stuff is not bad at all.

Come now, some of it is very bad. And I say that as a big fan. Friends Will Be Friends, for example. Pretty much all of Hot Space and Made in Heaven...

Return to “Yakety Yak”