fange's tune of the day

Do talk back
trans-chigley express

Re: fangedango's tune of the day

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Jan 2016, 10:42

fange wrote:Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper

That "more cowbell!" skit on SNL aside, I have some very bittersweet memories attached to '...Reaper', which means I can generally only listen to it once in a while. In the early '90s, I once took a bus ride from Memphis to Charlotte and must have listened to it on my Walkman upwards of 100 times. It felt like medicine, somehow. I don't search it out much these days, but when I do, man, it still hits the spot so very well, ridiculous middle section 'n all.

Their most famous song but very atypical. Do you like anything else by them, Ange?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 03 Jan 2016, 12:56

I've always wanted to like them more than I do to be honest, Ray. My mate in high school who was mad into BOC made me a mix tape of his faves after Fire of Unknown Origin came out in Aus, and while i liked it ok only '..Reaper' and 'Burnin' For You' ever became long-time faves. Love those two still. None of their other tunes have ever really hit home as memorable songs i guess, and something about their drummer's sound and style almost always rubbed me the wrong way.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Jan 2016, 03:12

I somehow missed your Prince La La post first time around, fange. Coincidentally, I just recently picked up those Gumbo Stew comps, after reading the late Harold Battiste's memoirs. A very mixed bag, if you ask me, but those La La cuts are great (as are some others, of course).

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 04 Jan 2016, 03:33

Yeah, the Prince La La tracks really stand out don't they. He's just a footnote in the New Orleans music story now, but with that voice... who knows what might have been.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Jan 2016, 14:20

David Bowie - Stay [Live At The Nassau Coliseum Uniondale NY USA]

This version kicked my arse again today when I was spinning it and just getting lost in stuff. Alomar and Slick sound so on, hot and electric in the live setting as compared to the slightly cooler album version.
The whole band was white hot though too, and Bowie sounds so fine, intimate, and right there forever.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 Jan 2016, 08:28

Johnny Copeland - Dedicated To The Greatest

Yesterday was Sam Cooke's birthday, and as I often do when I think about my favourite Sam Cooke tunes I also thought about the wonderful tune above, written by the controversial and legendary Southern figure Huey P. Meaux, and sung with such heartfelt emotion by Johnny C.

Beautiful deep soul and blues.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 20 Mar 2016, 09:42

Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready

What a beautiful noise these 3 guys make.
After buying Bug in late '88 and then going back to YLAOM, i was a fan for life. While i still enjoyed plenty of their songs from Green Mind and the rest of the '90s, i was SO excited to hear that the original trio had patched things up in 2007 and were releasing an album together again. I tried not to get my hopes up too high, knowing these things don't always work out... but from the first thunderous seconds of 'Almost Ready' i knew that it was gonna be alright. And how.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 May 2016, 15:16

Gene Chandler - Good Times (aka Gonna Be Good Times)

Gene 'Duke of Earl' Chandler had such a wonderful voice. It's almost a shame that he is largely remembered now for that one song, as magnificent as it is.

To me, 'Good Times' captures PERFECTLY the sound of Chicago soul in the mid-60s - somewhere between the rawer soul of Stax and the distinctively orchestrated soul of Motown, a special niche all of its own. It's bursting with life and energy, Gene's infectious smiley, slyly lilting voice just makes me grin from ear to ear. It doesn't hurt that Curtis Mayfield penned the tune, and that it was arranged by Riley Hampton either.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 Jun 2016, 03:03

The Turtles - She'll Come Back

Charlie's news that the band will be re-releasing those class 60's albums with extra stuff has had me going through my Turtles stuff this week. So many gems in there to enjoy, like this psych-tinge pop nugget from '66.

The band actually appear "performing" the song in a dire spy spoof movie called Out Of Sight, and their spaced-out performance is something to behold...

Jonny Spencer wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Jun 2016, 03:54

Nice one, fange. I'd seen stills from that movie appearance, but never thought to look for the clip. Interesting that Al Nichol can't even be bothered to mime the lead guitar line.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 Jun 2016, 08:19

It looks like the whole band barely bothered to even hold their instruments. :)

Steve Miller - My Dark Hour

I do love a bit of Steve Miller, though it's mostly his first couple with the SMB and Fly Like An Eagle, the title track of which had its genesis from this cut recorded back in '69 when Miller was in London.

Here's the story, courtesy of beatlesbible.com...

The Beatles' earlier mixing session at Olympic had ended in acrimony when John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr had attempted to persuade Paul McCartney to sign a contract to officially appoint Klein as Apple's financial manager.

The other three Beatles had signed the contract on the previous day, but McCartney wanted to hold out. All four Beatles and Klein were present in the studio, but the session ended when all but McCartney walked out.

"There was a big argument and they all went, leaving me at the studio. Steve Miller happened to be around: 'Hi, how you doing? Is the studio free?' I said: 'Well, it looks like it is now, mate.' He said: 'Mind if I use it?' So I ended up drumming on a track of his that night. It was called My Dark Hour – a good track actually. He and I made it alone. I had to do something, thrash something, to get it out of my system."

Paul McCartney, Anthology

Glyn Johns had been producing an album for The Steve Miller Band. On this occasion Miller turned up at the studio alone, and McCartney found him a sympathetic listener. The pair jammed, with Glyn Johns in the control room, and a song eventually emerged.

"Steve Miller happened to be there recording, late at night, and he just breezed in. 'Hey, what's happening, man? Can I use the studio?' 'Yeah!' I said. 'Can I drum for you? I just had a fucking unholy argument with the guys there.' I explained it to him, took ten minutes to get it off my chest. So I did a track, he and I stayed that night and did a track of his called My Dark Hour. I thrashed everything out on the drums. There's a surfeit of aggressive drum fills, that's all I can say about that. We stayed up until late. I played bass, guitar and drums and sang backing vocals. It's actually a pretty good track.
It was a very strange time in my life and I swear I got my first grey hairs that month. I saw them appearing. I looked in the mirror, I thought, I can see you. You're all coming now. Welcome."

Paul McCartney, Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

McCartney recorded drums, bass guitar, backing vocals and guitar to the track. Miller sang and performed all the other instruments. My Dark Hour appeared on Miller's 1969 album Brave New World, and was released as a single in the US on 16 June, though it failed to chart.

McCartney didn't receive a composer credit, but his performance was attributed to Paul Ramon, the pseudonym he had used in 1960 while on a tour of Scotland with The Silver Beetles.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 28 Jun 2016, 14:08

I'm partial to a bit of early Steve Miller too but I never knew the story behind that track.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Jun 2016, 16:25

I knew Paul played bass and drums and sang on it, but didn't know he did some guitar as well. Great track.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Oct 2016, 15:54

Wilson Simonal - Moro No Fim Da Rua

The story of Wilson Simonal's life is quite an extraordinary one. A child of the slums, he rose through hard graft and talent to become one of the most successful and influencial singers and performers in Brazil during the '60s and early '70s. Not unlike many other stars of the time though, bad management and a lavish lifestyle saw him lose a fortune, but then a widespread - and ultimately unsubstanciated - smear campaign accusing him of being an informant for the Brazilian military saw his popularity take a huge hit, and sent him into a decades long battle against the courts, fickle public opinion, and substance abuse. While i'm not an expert on his whole catalogue, I've liked a lot of what I've heard from the 60s and 70s especially, and the Simona album in particular, which has a strong mix of all the musical flavours pervading Brazilian pop by that time.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Oct 2016, 16:52

^ Interesting. Don't know him. Did he play all the instruments? It kinda sounds like it!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 20 Oct 2016, 03:22

Charlie O. wrote:^ Interesting. Don't know him. Did he play all the instruments? It kinda sounds like it!

:) No, he was backed on this one by one of the most legendary Brazilian jazz groups of the time, Som Três, led by pianist and producer César Mariano.
If you like Latin-style jazz and funk, you need Som Três in your life...

Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Oct 2016, 10:02

The Spellbinders - Casting My Spell

There must be hundreds of versions of this classic tune out there now, ever since the Johnson Brothers released the original in '59, but I think this may be my fave. The hard garage feel and sound of this mid-60s record is a large part of it, and the vicious lead guitar doesn't hurt either. (There is a chance that it's James Burton doing the six-string work, as he was releasing songs on Miramar at around this too under the name Jimmy Burton.)

Play it loud.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Feb 2017, 06:30

Marsha Gee - Peanut Duck

Everyone loves a mystery, and 'Peanut Duck' is one of those musical mysteries that always makes me smile.

In a (pea)nutshell, this is the story as i remember it - the song was recorded in the mid-'60s in a Philly studio by a singer and crew whose names have been lost in the mists of time, as no records of the session have been found, and the acetate of the song never got any further than the studio storage shelves.

Fast forward 20-odd years, and a British DJ who was scouring the old recording studios for lesser-known soul gems for the "Northern Soul" circuits finds it and likes it. Having no artists' rights to speak of, he releases it on an over-night label, and gives the unknown female singer the name Marsha Gee (while there was a real soul singing Marsha Gee, this isn't her). The song becomes a slow-burning fave among soul fans and dancers, who fall in love with the quirky lyrics, the bouncing dancefloor groove, and the singer's mad and marvelous scatting during the tune's ending section.

To this day, nobody really knows the true singer's name or her band, but there's no doubting how tasty the 'Peanut Duck' is. Quack Quack!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Feb 2017, 06:36

Fab!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Feb 2017, 17:53

Now I want to know the name of the girl in the picture. :)
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”