fange's tune of the day

Do talk back
fange
100% fangetastic

Re: fangedango's tune of the day

Postby fange » 11 Dec 2014, 14:48

Buster Brown - Sugar Babe

Always makes me smile when this song comes on. I reckon there were a couple of Liverpool and London lads listening to this in '62 and taking notes too.

Buster is probably most famous for 'Fannie Mae' from '59 - a tune much beloved by Wolfman Jack and admired by a couple of Wilson boys from California - but the rocking tempo of 'Sugar Babe' adds a little zing that i love, and that cutting guitar courtesy of 'Wild' Jimmy Spruill always adds some bounce to my step.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Dec 2014, 13:33

The Pharcyde - Otha Fish

Maybe my favourite track from one of my favourite '90s albums. The sample of Herbie Mann's 'Today' is great, a jazzy and funky break that is perfect to dance to, but in the end it's all about Slimkid3's rap - that incredible half-singing/half-rapping style he had in full flow still makes my jaw drop in wonder 20-odd years later. And it ain't no lazy-rhymed, gangster-cliched bullshit: it's the full of the lyrical, witty, imaginative rap that is so often missing from the genre today, sadly. Just fantastic.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 03 Jan 2015, 13:35

Brett Smiley - Va Va Va Voom

Q: It's the early-'70s, and you're Andrew Loog Oldman - what do you do?

A: First, while you're hanging around America looking to discover another big-time act, you come across a teenager by the unchangeable name of Brett Smiley - a child singer/actor who shared a Broadway stage with Davey Jones in a production of Oliver!, and seems to you to have all the goods as a singer, songwriter and all-round pop idol. Then, on the strength of your industry cred and the kid's winning looks you wrangle a 6-figure sum of cash out of a UK label to record an LP worth of tunes featuring some of the US' top session guys, including what you believe is Smiley's killer first 7" single with Steve Marriott adding some smoking guitar.
Despite the single being a brilliant slice of late-glam rock and roll, the record bombs dismally in Britain, the record label decide to shelve the LP, you end up dropping young Brett quicker than a ripped rubber, and leave the story to become 70's rock and roll legend.
Last edited by fange on 02 Jun 2015, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 Jan 2015, 12:02

Alvin Cash & The Crawlers (feat. The Registers Band) - The Barracuda

I know some of you may say "fange, don't give up", but i sadly believe that i may never fulfill one of my life's greatest dreams - to write and play on a 1960's R&B dance-craze record.

Alvin "Twine Time" Cash made a long, if not massively, successful career out of dance-crave singles from the early-60s, and 'The Barracuda' is maybe my fave thanks to some gorgeous guitar work and some hyper-excited female back-up vocals for Cash to bounce his exhortations off. Keen-eyed R&B fans also notice that not only was the tune written and produced by Bernice Williams, co-writer of the eternal 'Duke of Earl', but it was also arranged by BCB's own Mike "Nolamike" Higgins!!

Actually it was R&B and jazz arranger/producer Monk Higgins, but i wish it was Mike.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 Jan 2015, 12:39

Loop - Soundhead

Now, Loop was obviously one of a very long line of bands made up of pasty-skinned people with guitars who worshipped at the musical altars of the VU and kosmische bands - but fuck, you can't blame 'em for that, right?
Just turn up the sound and let the colours run, baby.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Jan 2015, 19:29

The flip of Quarter to Three by Gary US Bonds shows how NOLA music influenced ska and features some of my favourite sax-playing of the rock and roll era from Daddy G

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Jan 2015, 03:29

Rayge wrote:The flip of Quarter to Three by Gary US Bonds shows how NOLA music influenced ska and features some of my favourite sax-playing of the rock and roll era from Daddy G

Great call. Bonds' 'New Orleans' is one of my favourite R&B tunes ever, gets the pulse racing every time.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 Jan 2015, 06:33

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Lost In The Flood (Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, '75)

One of my favourites from Greeting From Astbury Park, N.J., but the live version simply SMOKES the slightly frail studio version. Springsteen's cracked and raspy whisper at the start is fine with me, just adding to the build, coz when he and the band explode into the middle section, oh man, it's hold onto your hats time. It's like they had a point to prove, or something.
Last edited by fange on 06 Jul 2018, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 04 Feb 2015, 14:27

Quarteto Em Cy - Tudo Que Voce Podia Ser

The Brazil "Beyond the 130" threads have had me overdosing on most of my fave Brazilian artists and songs over the past week, and this one is pretty damn close to the top of the pile for me. The group's harmonies are so beautiful as they change from the moody verses to the exultant sing-song chorus, and when they hit those 'bada-bada' lines i close my eyes and, well, i kinda feel like i'm flying.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 05 Feb 2015, 10:54

fangedango! wrote:Loop - Soundhead

Now, Loop was obviously one of a very long line of bands made up of pasty-skinned people with guitars who worshipped at the musical altars of the VU and kosmische bands - but fuck, you can't blame 'em for that, right?
Just turn up the sound and let the colours run, baby.

Blimey that's a blast from the past. I remember seeing these when I was a student around 1988 or 89.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Feb 2015, 23:47

fangedango! wrote:Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Lost In The Flood (Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, '75)

One of my favourites from Greeting From Astbury Park, N.J., but the live version simply SMOKES the slightly frail studio version. Springsteen's cracked and raspy whisper at the start is fine with me, just adding to the build, coz when he and the band explode into the middle section, oh man, it's hold onto your hats time. It's like they had a point to prove, or something.

That is pretty great. The whole show is amazing. I was able to get it from netflix without buying that box which was cool. I watched it many times over a few years. I'm not sure it survived a purge at some point.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 14 Feb 2015, 12:37

^^
They released the Hammersmith show as a stand-alone CD in its own right sometime after the box, Les, but you can pretty much all of it on YT now anyway i'm sure. Excellent stuff.

Mac Rebennack - Storm Warning

In loving memory of my recently departed BCB Cup list '15 - RIP. Gone too soon.

The first minute or so of 'Storm Warning' is one of the most exciting i've ever heard, and even though i've heard it hundreds of times it still raises the hairs on my neck. Damn, Rebennack could play a guitar - if one of his left fingers hadn't been subsequently fucked up in a fight, forcing him to take up the piano as a more forgiving instrument, there's no doubt he could have cut it with the best R&B guitar slingers of his day. That HUGE whanging, sliding tremelo is as fucking nasty as barbed wire, and when he locks in with Allen Toussaint and the N'Awlins session guys like sax man Lee Allen it's Crescent City rock and roll/R&B/garage punk heaven.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 May 2015, 13:53

MC5 - Shakin' Street

No matter how many times I've played Back In The USA, i'm still thrilled whenever this tune comes jumping into my ear holes.
The coolness of Smith's voice, the melodicism of those strummed acoustics, the imagery centred around characters like Streetlight Sam and Skinnyleg Pete which seems a wonderful update of something out the Dylan's Highway 61... notebooks - it's all great, a classic song in the very best way.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

der nister

Postby der nister » 28 May 2015, 15:12

The acoustic version is also great.

I would also assume the character names while possibly Dylanesquese, where straight up from the street.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 May 2015, 16:20

Welcome back!!

I once did an edit (on cassette) of the two versions of "Shakin' Street" - intro and first verse from the "acoustic version", rest from the standard one - worked a treat.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Jun 2015, 02:39

^^
I like the sound of that!

NP

Doin' it in the Park, doin' it after dark. Oh yeah.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Jun 2015, 12:39

Paul McCartney & Wings - Junior's Farm

I'm constantly surprised by how the human mind works, how a chance word or sight can conjure long forgotten memories. There I was in my local supermarket today grabbing some slightly bruised bananas, and as I head towards the cash register I pass the candies section, and these colourful little plastic tubes of M&Ms catch my eye.
Suddenly, in my mind i'm no longer shuffling through an empty Wellcome supermarket in Hong Kong; all of a sudden i'm 9 years old again, running across the daisy-strewn playing oval of the Waverley Meadows Primary School in the summer of '79, clutching the little plastic container which held the Ovalteenies that i'd just finished during recess, and which I was now using to try and catch the little Aussie stingless bees which were flying around from flower to flower doing their usual bee stuff.
Not sure whose idea it was, but during recess and lunch the school had started playing music over the PA system - selections from Buddy Holly's Greatest Hits, Abba's Arrival and Wings' Greatest made the biggest impression on me, and while i never fucking want to hear 'Mull of Kintyre' again, there are many songs that i still love from that time and which bring back happy memories, and 'Junior's Farm' is definitely one.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 10 Jun 2015, 14:12

You have empty supermarkets where you line, Ange?? Ours are all chock full of mainlanders.

Anyway, Juniors Farm is a great track. I love Wings Greatest and I am tempted to compile it on my MP3 player but maybe swap Dull of Kintyre with Girlschool and Goodnight Tonight instead.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 10 Jun 2015, 14:25

Consider yourself lucky, Ange. My post-Beatles Macca induced nostalgia has not been nearly as positive. A couple weeks ago, after a lovely day of wine tasting in the Russian River, my friend's wife drove us home. I know I sound unappreciative-- I mean we should build shrines for designated drivers, not criticize their tastes in music, but she had her radio preset locked onto KOIT or some other light rock of the 80s monstrosity. There were the usual offenders BOTH Romantics songs, Karma Chameleon, etc. and while I was praying that Prince was looming somewhere on the not too distant horizon Say Say Say surfaced catching me completely unawares. I can't remember the last time I'd heard it, but suffice to say, I was not prepared for the havoc it would wreak on my subconscious.

I envy your transportation to such an idyllic place. Say Say Say transports me back to my 14th summer. The summer of zit cream, braces, terrible microwave food, and random erections (Chrissie, of course, but Mrs. Roper too?). A few days later my daughter's chorus inexplicably sang a snippet of it at our school's Open House concert during their tribute to Michael Jackson and since then Say Say Say has only recently and reluctantly vacated my head forced out by a deadly cocktail of Billy Ocean's Caribbean Queen and Foreigner's I Want to Know What Love Is.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Jun 2015, 01:12

trans-chigley express wrote:You have empty supermarkets where you line, Ange?? Ours are all chock full of mainlanders.

Anyway, Juniors Farm is a great track. I love Wings Greatest and I am tempted to compile it on my MP3 player but maybe swap Dull of Kintyre with Girlschool and Goodnight Tonight instead.

My school is in a relatively out of the way spot to the north of Wong Tai Sin, so the supermarket around the corner where i grab my snacks and stuff is often empty early in the morning, or just a couple of locals doing their shopping. It's heaven!
And yes, kick out MoK for Girls School any day!

T. Willy Rye wrote:Consider yourself lucky, Ange. My post-Beatles Macca induced nostalgia has not been nearly as positive. A couple weeks ago, after a lovely day of wine tasting in the Russian River, my friend's wife drove us home. I know I sound unappreciative-- I mean we should build shrines for designated drivers, not criticize their tastes in music, but she had her radio preset locked onto KOIT or some other light rock of the 80s monstrosity. There were the usual offenders BOTH Romantics songs, Karma Chameleon, etc. and while I was praying that Prince was looming somewhere on the not too distant horizon Say Say Say surfaced catching me completely unawares. I can't remember the last time I'd heard it, but suffice to say, I was not prepared for the havoc it would wreak on my subconscious.

I envy your transportation to such an idyllic place. Say Say Say transports me back to my 14th summer. The summer of zit cream, braces, terrible microwave food, and random erections (Chrissie, of course, but Mrs. Roper too?). A few days later my daughter's chorus inexplicably sang a snippet of it at our school's Open House concert during their tribute to Michael Jackson and since then Say Say Say has only recently and reluctantly vacated my head forced out by a deadly cocktail of Billy Ocean's Caribbean Queen and Foreigner's I Want to Know What Love Is.

:D I don't know if you'll ever be the same, E, but Dr. Fange recommends a course of funky antibiotics. I'll send the Witch Doctor around, but you better lock up the missus...

Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Yakety Yak”