Charlie O.

Re: fange's tune of the day

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Apr 2018, 06:07

Nice one, fange!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Apr 2018, 16:54

fange wrote:Madeline Bell - 'Comin' Atcha'

Good choice - I've never heard this and liked it a lot. This is the song it made me think of. . .

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 May 2018, 11:56

The Pretty Things - Children (Alternate Version)

I was on a bit of a PTs kick this last weekend, playing all the albums from Get The Picture? to Parachute and digging them very deeply.

The CD version of Emotions I have is from the Japanese "British Beat Paper Sleeve Collection" series, and it has a hefty amount of bonus tracks tacked on, and that's where this alternate version of 'Children' can be found.

If you've heard the album you'll know that it's quite a significantly produced set of songs - a LOT of effort went into extra orchestrations, horns, found sounds, etc. The album version of 'Children' has some quite strident kazoo playing, to try and play up on the theme of childhood and silliness; but it's always kind of struck me as a bit over the top, a bit too much, especially considering the darker undertones of the lyrics. The alternate version is sans kazoo, and all the better for it in my view; the starker, more roomy sound produced allows you to focus on the import of the words,the lovely rhythmic clip of the drums, the sweet choppy guitars and piano, and the more out-there guitar outro. Much better than the released version for mine.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 28 May 2018, 12:27

Emotions is a bit like Beefheart's Strictly Personal in that 'true fans' aren't supposed to like it because the record company added all sorts of post-production crap without the artists' consent and spoiled the effect. But with artists of this calibre, you've got (at the very least) interesting and colourful music with or without the ketchup.

But yeah, the album version of 'Children' is pretty much a joke! 'The Sun' sounds better with the strings, I think.

Have you seen the Abbey Road SF Sorrow thing from 1999, Ange? worth a watch I think.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 May 2018, 12:33

No, I haven't seen that, thanks for the heads-up!

BOLLY BEE wrote:Emotions is a bit like Beefheart's Strictly Personal in that 'true fans' aren't supposed to like it because the record company added all sorts of post-production crap without the artists' consent and spoiled the effect. But with artists of this calibre, you've got (at the very least) interesting and colourful music with or without the ketchup.

But yeah, the album version of 'Children' is pretty much a joke! 'The Sun' sounds better with the strings, I think.

Yes, yes and yes.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 05 Jul 2018, 01:41

Merry Clayton - Southern Man

I recently bought Merry's The Best of..., and this has been on high rotation ever since. Something about the way she sings NY's words seems just perfect; there's a sadness, resignation and vulnerability there at times, as well as the frustration and anger.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Jul 2018, 09:32

fange wrote:Madeline Bell - 'Comin' Atcha'

Do you know this pre-funk one from the late 60s, fange, using (I seem to remember) the team that put together some of Dusty Springfield's more soulful sides (it was widely rumoured that she was one of Dusty's special friends)?

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Jul 2018, 01:08

Thanks for the reminder, Ray - good stuff. I need to play her '60s singles more often.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Aug 2018, 14:25

Ronnie Dawson - Up Jumped The Devil

I love a rock 'n' roll happy ending.

Back in the late-'50s and early-'60s Ronnie "The Blond Bomber" Dawson made a couple of great rockabilly singles, maybe most famously Rockin' Bones, but never seemed to get his big break or wider appeal. He spent the next few decades playing as much as he could, even recording ad jingles to pay the bills, but by the '80s had almost given up making more records in the rockabilly style he loved.

The appeal of those early singles never died though; The Cramps loved and often played 'Rockin' Bones', and a new generation of rock and roll lovers discovered his music anew. In the mid-'80s the British indie label No Hit contacted him and asked him if they could rerelease some of those early 45s, as well as getting him to record some new songs and tour the UK and Europe, sparking a rennaissance in his career which lasted till his passing away in 2003. 'Up Jumped The Devil' from '94 features some scorching guitar and Dawson in fine voice, his vocals having deepened over the years but he lost none of his energy, humour or passion. Record collectors today still seem to agree - the single if going for 300 euro on discogs. :shock:

Just goes to show, great music never dies, and sometimes happy endings do happen.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 30 Aug 2018, 08:43

Lipstick Killers - Hindu Gods (of Love)

Just one of the many bands that Radio Birdman inspired and helped start on their rock and roll way in Australia. The Lipstick Killers burned bright, fast and died quickly, leaving little in their recorded wake - but their debut single 'HG(oL)' b/w 'Shakedown U.S.A.' (produced by Deniz Tek too) is a classic of Aus. punk and rock 'n' roll. It still reminds me of jumping the back fence at school in the early '80s and going to my mate Mark Murray's house at lunch times to listen to his brother's records and check his jacket pockets for smokes. Ahh, more innocent times.
Last edited by fange on 12 Dec 2018, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Dec 2018, 08:36

The American Four - Luci Baines b/w Soul Food

There's a slightly circuitous reason this double-shot of rock and soul was in my head this morning.

After watching the 4th epidode of Ken Burns' documentary on Vietnam last night, i had Lyndon B Johnson on my mind, and for some reason it occurred to me that his daughter Lucy Baines Johnson had the same initials as him, then i remembered that there was a song on one of my '60s comps about Luci Baines, and when i pulled it out i remembered it was by The American Four, a group which Arthur Lee and Johnny Echols had formed pre-Love.

Neither song is really unique, as the former is a pretty blatant copy of 'Twist and Shout' and the latter of the Memphis/Booker T. and the MG's' sound, but it felt so damn right after watching The Vietnam War - the energy, the exuberance, the grit, the ambition, tongue in cheek humour, it's all there in the grooves, a little snapshot of '60s America from another angle. DEL-FI records in L.A. was famous for letting just about anybody come in and cut singles, from Ritchie Valens to Frank Zappa to The Fifth Dimension, and the comps. i've found over the years from them are full of weird and wonderful nuggets.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Dec 2019, 00:55

The Bob Seger System - Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

If your dictionary had a definition for the term "Detroit Rock and Roll" - well, it bloody well should, anyway - all it would need to say under the term entry is "See The Bob Seger System's "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" from '68.

The perfect mix of Motor City rock and soul. The band he would call the Silver Bullet Band in the '70s has a handful of songs i love, but they seem more traditional rock by comparison. This one is all about the energy of youth and that mix of late-'60s sounds, and sounds forever young for it.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Dec 2019, 01:45

fange wrote:f your dictionary had a definition for the term "Detroit Rock and Roll" - well, it bloody well should, anyway - all it would need to say under the term entry is "See The Bob Seger System's "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" from '68.

Dunno if I buy that - but it is a great, great record, easily my favorite of Seger's. (Not that that's saying a lot.)

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Dec 2019, 02:05

Gimme your definition of Detroit Rock and Roll, Charlie!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Dec 2019, 03:18

Why should one record define it? It is a superb example, I heart it mightily - let’s leave it at that.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Dec 2019, 03:56

You should run for public office, Charlie.

;)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Dec 2019, 04:52

That was surprisingly good and sounds nothing like the Bob Seger I'm familiar with (Silver Bullet Band stuff).

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Dec 2019, 06:49

A couple other pre-SBB Seger tunes that might surprise people - particularly if they're familiar with the songs from certain cover versions.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Dec 2019, 13:40

[quote="Charlie O."

[/quote]

That's the first time I've heard the original, but I have to say Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous version smokes it.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Dec 2019, 13:42

Charlie O. wrote:

That's the first time I've heard the original, but I have to say Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous version smokes it.

Return to “Yakety Yak”