Charlie O.

Re: fange's tune of the day

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Apr 2018, 06:07

Nice one, fange!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Apr 2018, 16:54

fange wrote:Madeline Bell - 'Comin' Atcha'

Good choice - I've never heard this and liked it a lot. This is the song it made me think of. . .

fange

Postby fange » 28 May 2018, 11:56

The Pretty Things - Children (Alternate Version)

I was on a bit of a PTs kick this last weekend, playing all the albums from Get The Picture? to Parachute and digging them very deeply.

The CD version of Emotions I have is from the Japanese "British Beat Paper Sleeve Collection" series, and it has a hefty amount of bonus tracks tacked on, and that's where this alternate version of 'Children' can be found.

If you've heard the album you'll know that it's quite a significantly produced set of songs - a LOT of effort went into extra orchestrations, horns, found sounds, etc. The album version of 'Children' has some quite strident kazoo playing, to try and play up on the theme of childhood and silliness; but it's always kind of struck me as a bit over the top, a bit too much, especially considering the darker undertones of the lyrics. The alternate version is sans kazoo, and all the better for it in my view; the starker, more roomy sound produced allows you to focus on the import of the words,the lovely rhythmic clip of the drums, the sweet choppy guitars and piano, and the more out-there guitar outro. Much better than the released version for mine.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Postby The Beatles » 28 May 2018, 12:27

Emotions is a bit like Beefheart's Strictly Personal in that 'true fans' aren't supposed to like it because the record company added all sorts of post-production crap without the artists' consent and spoiled the effect. But with artists of this calibre, you've got (at the very least) interesting and colourful music with or without the ketchup.

But yeah, the album version of 'Children' is pretty much a joke! 'The Sun' sounds better with the strings, I think.

Have you seen the Abbey Road SF Sorrow thing from 1999, Ange? worth a watch I think.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

fange

Postby fange » 28 May 2018, 12:33

No, I haven't seen that, thanks for the heads-up!

BOLLY BEE wrote:Emotions is a bit like Beefheart's Strictly Personal in that 'true fans' aren't supposed to like it because the record company added all sorts of post-production crap without the artists' consent and spoiled the effect. But with artists of this calibre, you've got (at the very least) interesting and colourful music with or without the ketchup.

But yeah, the album version of 'Children' is pretty much a joke! 'The Sun' sounds better with the strings, I think.

Yes, yes and yes.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange

Postby fange » 05 Jul 2018, 01:41

Merry Clayton - Southern Man

I recently bought Merry's The Best of..., and this has been on high rotation ever since. Something about the way she sings NY's words seems just perfect; there's a sadness, resignation and vulnerability there at times, as well as the frustration and anger.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Jul 2018, 09:32

fange wrote:Madeline Bell - 'Comin' Atcha'

Do you know this pre-funk one from the late 60s, fange, using (I seem to remember) the team that put together some of Dusty Springfield's more soulful sides (it was widely rumoured that she was one of Dusty's special friends)?

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

fange

Postby fange » 06 Jul 2018, 01:08

Thanks for the reminder, Ray - good stuff. I need to play her '60s singles more often.
Jonny Spencer wrote: