BCB 130: The Doors

Do talk back
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: BCB 130: The Doors

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2014, 14:48

Diamond Dog wrote:
The G Experience! wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I'll come back to this later but a little bit of BCB history here directly related to The Doors... ex BCB poster T-Berry Shuffle came across the earliest known moving image of Jim Morrison, whilst he was working at restoring old media at Florida University (I think). It was a campus super 8 (or suchlike) clip of Jim acting - shot somewhere around 1964, as I recall.

Carry on.

What did he do with it? I would have thought a clip like would have huge value given what an industry The Doors have become.

Oh it's University owned - he was sifting through old material and came acroos the clip and (to give him credit) he recognised it immediately. Not sure what happened to it - but it was available on Youtube at one time. I'll FB him and see where it is/if it's available.

And here it is....follow the Youtube link on here :

http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/232390
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Aug 2014, 15:13

Copehead wrote:Their version of Gloria that they recorded at the Roundhouse as a sound check is utterly glorious, loose, manic, improvised

I was at that gig, which reinforced my opinion of the band (see below).
Nothing to add really, except that John Densmore (in particular) and Robby Krieger were really fine players. In fact, I long subscribed to the view that they were a great sounding instrumental band (with Jim's baritone part of the sound) ultimately missing out on the pantheon by being let down by [some of] their lyrics and all those Michael McClure-style shenannigans.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 08 Aug 2014, 15:47

Geezee wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:In other words, Morrison's farther-out trips are all the more so 'cause he can turn around and sing a horn-driven pop hit like "Touch Me" with equal conviction. That's the stuff bands like Sonic Youth don't get.

Well, I'm not sure I agree - The Doors overall might be a great band partly because they could do both the far out stuff and the pop hits, but i don't think their trippier songs any more far out simply because they also wrote pop hits. Their far out songs are far out because they are far out, not because they could also write pop songs. And I believe Sonic Youth "get" it, but it's an irrelevant comparison because they are striving for completely different things - indeed the more accurate comparison for Sonic Youth would be Velvet Underground or The Stooges, but again even there they are striving for completely different things. In fact, The Doors is probably one of the few 60s bands that Sonic Youth have not sought to appropriate in one way or another. By the same token you could argue that The Doors didn't "get" it because they didn't try out even more interesting guitar tunings.

The Doors weirdness stands in stark contrast to what they could do to pull in audience. A lot of what we admire about bands is that the really great ones can successfully juggle their art and commerce. The hits keep the record execs at bay, but The Doors could transition between two extremes, which makes them appear that much more extreme :lol:. The Velvet Underground is another band that could pull off this balancing act - they certainly wrote great pop songs. Did Sonic Youth ever try to write something as direct as "Rock & Roll" or "Stephanie Says"? I'd say they wouldn't dare try.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Aug 2014, 15:57

Phenomenal Cat wrote: Did Sonic Youth ever try to write something as direct as "Rock & Roll" or "Stephanie Says"? I'd say they wouldn't dare try.

Er, they probably did: try, anyway, especially on the Geffen stuff in the middle of their career (aka the Tin Age). Stephanie Says isn't particularly direct in my view, but their equivalent to Rock & Roll is probably TeenAge Riot, which has strong similarities in feel and concerns.
I won't crap on the thread by linking direct, but in the unlikely event of your not having heard it, you can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKMD8vI1MaM
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Aug 2014, 16:47

Rayge wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote: Did Sonic Youth ever try to write something as direct as "Rock & Roll" or "Stephanie Says"? I'd say they wouldn't dare try.

Er, they probably did: try, anyway, especially on the Geffen stuff in the middle of their career (aka the Tin Age). Stephanie Says isn't particularly direct in my view, but their equivalent to Rock & Roll is probably TeenAge Riot, which has strong similarities in feel and concerns.
I won't crap on the thread by linking direct, but in the unlikely event of your not having heard it, you can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKMD8vI1MaM

Death Valley 69 is as direct as you get, as is Sugar Kane - but to me the point is still that they are trying to achieve different things, and you can reverse the question and it will end up with the same negative answer. Again, beyond the trivial "ostrich" tuning, VU only scratched the surface of what can be achieved with alternate tunings - whilst there is nothing like a Pale Blue Eyes in the Sonic Youth catalogue, there is nothing like Shadow of a Doubt in the VU catalogue.

Certainly I don't feel that songs like Sugar Kane, Kool Thing or the other "hits" that Sonic Youth had make their weirder stuff any more weird - but probably if any band managed to subvert the norms and push the extremes of what you'd normally expect of a major label band, Sonic Youth are one of the best examples of it.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Aug 2014, 19:12

I was grasping for Sugar Kane, as it seemed to be a nod to Sweet Jane.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 09 Aug 2014, 15:51

Apologies to Matt Wilson, The Doors, BCB, and 1969. Never again shall we evoke the name Sonic Youth on a thread about the wonderful Doors. You know how many times I had listened to L.A. Woman before this week?

Zero.

Yep - always had a copy, burned for me at least 15 years ago, but never played it. I assumed I already knew it. I was wrong. I never listened to Morrison Hotel that much (which I've owned since I grabbed it from a bargain bin when I was 11 or 12) and I still haven't played the CD Matt Wilson sent me years back.

So, today is Morrison Hotel day. "Peace Frog" forever. Sonic Youth - NEVER.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Aug 2014, 15:55

Honestly, you guys can talk about whatever you want. I don't believe in sticking to the OP's initial thesis, like those Hoffmanites with their Nazi gorts who come along as soon as the conversation shifts off topic.

Far more disturbing is the fact that you've never heard the last two Doors albums.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Aug 2014, 16:05

Phenomenal Cat wrote: You know how many times I had listened to L.A. Woman before this week?

Zero.

Oh man, I think you're in for an unexpected treat, P-cat! I wanna read your first impressions/thoughts after too, if you'd be so kind.

For me the first Doors album is the masterpiece. It is incredible. And for my money Goat is right on - it IS better than VU&N.
Both Strange Days and LA Woman are also brilliant and almost at the same level of impact and creativity as the debut. There are a handful of songs I love from each of the other LPs, but there are also some ordinary tunes too, as you'd expect from a band who were putting out material as quickly as they did.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 09 Aug 2014, 16:09

Oh, I will get to L.A. Woman. "Love Her Madly" is one of my favorites.

Now Playing:

Underrated? Misunderstood? A Mistake?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Aug 2014, 16:22

Phenomenal Cat wrote:Oh, I will get to L.A. Woman. "Love Her Madly" is one of my favorites.

Now Playing:

Let me know what you think about Hyacinth House!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Aug 2014, 17:26

Phenomenal Cat wrote:Oh, I will get to L.A. Woman. "Love Her Madly" is one of my favorites.

Now Playing:

All I can say is that if bands WANT to do that kind of thing (and of course there are many who DO), then that's the way to do it. If that makes sense.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 09 Aug 2014, 19:11

the BEAST of BCB wrote:

Now Playing:

All I can say is that if bands WANT to do that kind of thing (and of course there are many who DO), then that's the way to do it. If that makes sense.

Soft Parade seems really ambitious in places. Less juke joint and more Scott Walker. I feel we're all missing something because it sounds very weary overall. Yet the sucker was recorded live for PBS. They must have had some liking for it.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 09 Aug 2014, 22:44

The G Experience! wrote:Let me know what you think about Hyacinth House!

Oh, this fantastic. L.A. Woman is solid, but I'm not sure if The Doors had any business playing that sort of thing in the 70s. That keyboard sure sounds dated.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 10 Aug 2014, 01:36

I don't listen to their albums much these days, except for 'Strange Days', which I'd still list among my favorite albums.

I did get the latest 'Waiting for the Sun' reissue recently and was struck by what an amazing track "Spanish Caravan" is. Robby Krieger doesn't get enough credit as a guitarist.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 19 Jan 2018, 14:52

BRUMP
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Yakety Yak”