BCB 130 - The Beatles (As solo artists)

Do talk back
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

BCB 130 - The Beatles (As solo artists)

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jul 2014, 07:06

Like most of us here, I was born a bit too late to experience the Beatles in real time. Though the first rock record that was ‘mine’ was a copy of Yellow Submarine won in a Halloween costume contest (a perfect one for a kid, you might agree), the first Beatle-related record I bought with my own money was the single of “Helen Wheels.”

I liked it, but not as much as I liked YS. I grew up in interesting times: it was received knowledge within the culture that there were now four separate musical acts where there used to be one. It was also received knowledge- and my instinctive opinion from first hearing- that the four did not add up to anything close to as good as the one.

Not to say I didn’t like a lot of what I heard. I first became a ‘serious’ music fan in 1973, a year in which all four ex-Beatles had major hits- John with “Mind Games,” Paul with “My Love” and, later in the year, the aforementioned “Helen Wheels,” George with “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)” and Ringo with (in retrospect, my favorite!) “Photograph” along with a few others.

In the years since I’ve found something to enjoy in the careers of all four, and it’s to their credit that all four members of the band had personalities strong enough to sustain long solo careers, something no other band has accomplished. (Kiss tried, and some may argue they were all good- I like Ace's- but certainly none could build a career as a solo artist.)

I’ll start with the easiest- Ringo. That he ever managed a career is impressive- he wasn’t a great singer (though his occasional vocals in the Beatles had their charms) and couldn’t really write a song without help- George was nice enough to help him with the basics- but having been a Beatle, could always call on his famous friends.

OK, let’s be fair- he’s rested on his laurels for several decades now, hasn’t really done a record worth owning for 40 years, and he’s done more to embarrass himself than any of the rest- and you’ve got to go some. But for a few glorious moments in 1973 (with a little help from his friends and a LOT of help from producer Richard Perry) he was a pretty good artist. Certainly “Photograph” is one of the nicer singles from the year (co-written with George, who you have to figure suggested the ‘B’ drone that runs through- and pretty much MAKES- the song).

If he wasn’t a Beatle- well, he probably never would have made an album that good, but if he somehow had, he might be remembered as a one-hit wonder- like Norman Greenbaum or David Dundas. As the least-talented Beatle, you could possibly say he did better than expected. Goodnight Vienna is good too.

If Ringo was the worst of the four as a solo artist, that was only to be expected, but George was the one that, to me, had the most disappointing solo career. He started off with the grand statement that is All Things Must Pass, many people’s favorite post-Beatles solo album, and while it does have its share of filler (especially the original vinyl release complete with a ‘jam’ album that could be used to torture prisoners into giving up what they know), it also has some absolutely gorgeous songs that he wrote during his ‘golden year’ of late 68-late 69. The title track is a contender for the most beautiful song he ever wrote.

Unfortunately, that’s about where it ended. The well-intentioned but ultimately troubled Bangladesh benefit took away the time that it would’ve taken to keep his hot streak going, his voice, never the most powerful lead instrument, had lapsed into a whiny croak. I’ve argued with Quaco, among others, about this, but there’s very little between his first and last albums that even approaches essential. He spent a lot of the time pursuing his interests in auto racing, cocaine and meditating, and I say good for him- he owed us nothing. But ‘nothing’ is pretty much what he delivered much of the time. Not to suggest his gift ever totally deserted him, I do like this clever song from his last album:

He DID develop his highly identifiable and much copied (“Sister Golden Hair” by America being the most blatant example) slide guitar style as a solo artist, but as memorable songs go, there were as many on the first album as all the rest put together.

John’s solo career was of course disappointing in another way- it would have been nice to see what kind of ‘aging ex-rock star’ he would have been. I was a mere teenager when he was killed, and aside from the obvious social repercussions it had (it still feels like the last of a chain of assassinations that included the Kennedys and MLK in an ‘end of an era’ sort of way), what pisses me off most is that it solidified his reputation as either a hypocrite or a saint, when I’m deeply convinced he was neither. Say what you will about the man- and people do, and will continue to- but the contradictions that people point out- a peacenik who had a history of violence, a multi-millionaire who sang about having no possessions, a cynic who was only too anxious to believe in the latest guru or new age philosophy- were never denied by him but rather admitted, and embraced. He was his own worst critic, and wouldn’t have recognized the Facebook meme fodder he has become. (As a side note, though, he would have- again contradictorily- been completely at home in the modern age of sharing your entire life via social media. Was any other celebrity as ahead-of-their-time in documenting their entire life?)

As for the music, well, to me a pretty staggering amount of it holds up- the most, percentage-wise, of the four. And for the one who was taken most seriously as an album artist, he had the best singles career of the four by far- look over this discography if you doubt it.

His career is probably the most documented, so there’s not much I can add except to say he was never less than a compelling singer:

And a quick listen to studio outtakes will prove that his image as an ‘instinctive’ musician is very much self-mythologizing- the reality is he knew what he wanted and how to get it. (Check the box set, there doesn't seem to be an appropriate vid on YouTube).

Paul’s career is the hardest to write about, if only as it’s the least consistent. Fortunately he’s been discussed here: http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53839. I don’t have much to add to that, other than people should be posting to that thread more, if only to honor the OPBD (Original Poster/Busy Dad) that started it. A lot’s obviously been said about him (my favorite thing said to me by an erstwhile BCBer – BCB is the only place in the world where McCartney’s overrated and Lennon’s underrated). I’m still blown away by Ram finishing #9 in our best albums list, ahead of several Beatles albums- I’m still not convinced anyone believes that it rates that high, let alone a majority of us.

Anyway, to restate the obvious- he’s the one that’s been both awful (most of his 80s input) and great (for my money, at least once in each of the previous 5 decades) most often. He still has the same strengths (inquisitive nature, natural love for all forms of music, true melodic gift, that Little Richard imitation) and weaknesses (occasional lyrical simpiness, laziness - "that’s a lovely start of a song, Mr. McCartney- please bring it back when you’ve finished it”, poor self-editing skills) that he had in the Beatles.

Here’s an example of everything good and bad about him- he sings the fuck out of it, particularly that perfect falsetto coming out of the first bridge (what other non-crooner or soul magician could pull that off at age 47?), but then goes one part too long and oversells the "the swan"/"this one" homonymy. That he's able to accomplish all that in just under four minutes is impressive, I guess, but it'd be more impressive if he'd left some of it out (and it's a pretty stupid video too):

I’m going to see him at Dodger Stadium in a couple weeks- no, I’m not expecting any great surprises, but I figure I’ll get some pretty prime selections from one of the great song catalogs in western civilization. Any amount of energy or raw vocal power he exhibits at the age of 72 will, I figure, be a bonus.

On the whole I don’t begrudge ‘em- they gave us so much in 7 years that I figure anything we’ve gotten in the 45 since is probably already beyond reasonable expectations- but I also think there’s a fair amount of great music that’s come from the camp- and who knows, it may again. Naysayers, which inevitably include plenty of Beatles fans, will of course always have their say, but...did the Stones accomplish as much as individuals? The Who? The Kinks? They were never going to live up to the standards they set as a group, but did they really do that badly? Their drummer had a couple of good records, for cryin' out loud. And their main songwriters each had at least one great one. Who can match that?

Ringo:

Best song – “Photograph”
Best albumRingo
Most underrated albumBeaucoups Of Blues, I guess- not that great, but at least low key, and the songs are appropriate for his limited vocal range

George:

Best song – “All Things Must Pass”
Best album – All Things Must Pass
Most underrated albumBrainwashed (some nice stuff despite the Jeff Lynne production) unless you want to count the WIlburys

John:

Best song – “#9 Dream”
Best albumPlastic Ono Band
Most underrated album – I’ve always thought Walls and Bridges was better and more consistent than Imagine – not that I can find a lot of agreement

Paul:

Best song – “Maybe I’m Amazed” or “Too Many People”
Best albumRam, of course, though I think Chaos and Creation is damn good too- probably my 2nd favorite
Most underrated albumRun Devil Run. His best foray into "keeping it simple," getting back to roots after Linda's death. He's having fun, singing great, getting "that sound," and even writing a few good original songs.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Re: BCB 130 - The Beatles (As solo artists)

Postby Quaco » 24 Jul 2014, 07:41

OK, now this is a thread I can contribute to! (tomorrow)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jul 2014, 11:15

All were really disappointing to the point whether I'd question whether they deserve a place in the 130.
Harrison did at least produce one classic album.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jul 2014, 11:20

I think Plastic Ono Band is pretty Godlike.

The rest I can live without if truth be told.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Jul 2014, 11:25

I don't understand how you can dismiss the first couple of post-Beatles years, especially if you're a fan of The White Album, because what they did as solo artists was very similar (and of comparable quality). Ringo aside, of course (altho' for me 'It Don't Come Easy' beats the likes of 'Instant Karma' or 'Maybe I'm Amazed', as good as they are).

So it's All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band, and Ram - all very good albums if not wall-to-wall classics. We've done it before, but you could definitely put together a 12-track theoretical 1972 Fabs' album containing 3 or 4 off each of those, plus the aforementioned Ringo song, that would be a real cracker. I mean, as far as I see it that's inarguable.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jul 2014, 11:39

'Crompton' wrote:I don't understand how you can dismiss the first couple of post-Beatles years, especially if you're a fan of The White Album, because what they did as solo artists was very similar (and of comparable quality). Ringo aside, of course (altho' for me 'It Don't Come Easy' beats the likes of 'Instant Karma' or 'Maybe I'm Amazed', as good as they are).

So it's All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band, and Ram - all very good albums if not wall-to-wall classics. We've done it before, but you could definitely put together a 12-track theoretical 1972 Fabs' album containing 3 or 4 off each of those, plus the aforementioned Ringo song, that would be a real cracker. I mean, as far as I see it that's inarguable.

Perhaps my comments were a bit harsh. I agree about the first few years. From 1972 onwards though it becomes pretty unimpressive.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 24 Jul 2014, 11:52

Lennon's Rock 'n' Roll is a favourite around these parts. Nothing revolutionary but he's having a whale of a time and so do I.

king of the divan

Georgios

Postby Georgios » 24 Jul 2014, 11:54

<speaking as a non-fan of any of them>

Lennon and McCartney's worst songwriting traits came to the fore because neither of them had each other to act as counterweights now the band had dissolved. McCartney will always get more stick. His music was unapologetically pop for the most part and lyrically quite lightweight as well. But frankly so what! It's probably because of this that I feel his music has aged far better than most of Lennon's catalog. large sections of which now seem trite and naive amongst other things.
There is the occasional great song from Lennon like the title track to Mind Games, but other singles like Instant Karma (strangely venerated) just sound poor now. Enough has already been written about Imagine.
People often ask where would he have gone musically had he lived - Double Fantasy suggest no where of any great interest.

One thing about Harrison: Got My Mind Set on You (I know it's a cover) must be one of the laziest, least inspired major hits of that entire decade. He was probably as amazed as anybody else that it bothered the charts in any way.
Last edited by Georgios on 24 Jul 2014, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 24 Jul 2014, 11:55

Fuck I hate JL's version of Stand by Me - of all things to link to! It's an utterly pointless cover.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 24 Jul 2014, 12:02

Georgios wrote:
One thing about Harrison: Got My Mind Set on You (I know it's a cover) must be one of the laziest least inspired major hits of that entire decade. He was probably as amazed as anybody else that it bothered the charts in any way.

It's fucking terrible, isn't it? Why did he bother? Was he pushed into it? He was a multi-millionaire and he was famously fame-shy, so you wouldn't expect there'd be any great motivation to put out a hit single and do all the accompanying bullshit. I think his last album is more representative of the older George.

Geezee wrote:Fuck I hate JL's version of Stand by Me - of all things to link to! It's an utterly pointless cover.

I've never been massively keen but it's often cited as an example of a very good cover.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 24 Jul 2014, 12:14

The G Experience! wrote:All were really disappointing to the point whether I'd question whether they deserve a place in the 130.
Harrison did at least produce one classic album.

McCartney produced a better set of songs, may be because he just went on longer.

Most of those were from Wings in the mid 70s as well

Most of them were Jet and Live and Let Die, actually :?

You're right, considering what they'd done they were disappointing, but considering the drop off in quality towards the end of the Beatles that isn't unexpected is it?
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jul 2014, 12:15

Georgios wrote:There is the occasional great song from Lennon like the title track to Mind Games, but other singles like Instant Karma (strangely venerated) just sound poor now.

I think Instant Karma is a monster. A massive, massive song; I find the sentiment of the chorus especially majestic. It's what Noel Gallagher spent ten years trying (and failing) to capture.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 24 Jul 2014, 12:21

'Crompton' wrote:

Geezee wrote:Fuck I hate JL's version of Stand by Me - of all things to link to! It's an utterly pointless cover.

I've never been massively keen but it's often cited as an example of a very good cover.

I know, it really annoys me. :)
Seriously though, I really don't get it - he brings nothing new to the table except a jarring rock beat and an unexceptional vocal. In fairness, I'm in love with the original, but I don't think I'm being precious about it because I'm always intrigued by how other artists might interpret my favourite songs. This one just happens to be awful.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jul 2014, 12:23

Goat Boy wrote:
Georgios wrote:There is the occasional great song from Lennon like the title track to Mind Games, but other singles like Instant Karma (strangely venerated) just sound poor now.

I think Instant Karma is a monster. A massive, massive song; I find the sentiment of the chorus especially majestic. It's what Noel Gallagher spent ten years trying (and failing) to capture.

I'm with you there. It's one of Lennon's greatest songs and the sheer passion he puts into his vocal performance floors me every time.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jul 2014, 12:29

If you judged Lennon on Shaved Fish then his solo career looks a lot better, but then you're judging him then on half a dozen very good songs that were singles. The problem with solo Lennon is that post Plastic Ono Band, the albums are generally a let down; you'd expect a few album tracks to be hidden nuggets, but there are surprisingly few. Moving to the US doesn't appear to have been good for him musically, but I'm not sure why.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 24 Jul 2014, 12:35

The G Experience! wrote:If you judged Lennon on Shaved Fish then his solo career looks a lot better, but then you're judging him then on half a dozen very good songs that were singles. The problem with solo Lennon is that post Plastic Ono Band, the albums are generally a let down; you'd expect a few album tracks to be hidden nuggets, but there are surprisingly few. Moving to the US doesn't appear to have been good for him musically, but I'm not sure why.

Session musicians?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jul 2014, 12:37

'Crompton' wrote:
The G Experience! wrote:If you judged Lennon on Shaved Fish then his solo career looks a lot better, but then you're judging him then on half a dozen very good songs that were singles. The problem with solo Lennon is that post Plastic Ono Band, the albums are generally a let down; you'd expect a few album tracks to be hidden nuggets, but there are surprisingly few. Moving to the US doesn't appear to have been good for him musically, but I'm not sure why.

Session musicians?

I think that's certainly one important reason yes.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jul 2014, 12:38

Geezee wrote:
'Crompton' wrote:

I know, it really annoys me. :)
Seriously though, I really don't get it - he brings nothing new to the table except a jarring rock beat and an unexceptional vocal. In fairness, I'm in love with the original, but I don't think I'm being precious about it because I'm always intrigued by how other artists might interpret my favourite songs. This one just happens to be awful.

I like it. It helps of course that because it's John and you know his story so it becomes something very personal when he sings it. It's John singing to Yoko and I find that touching, you know? I also find myself interpreting it as somehow standing by John, still loving the guy and worshipping the guy and believing all these years after his death. It's kinda hard to explain this side of the performance that resonates with me but when I watch the video I get a bit of a lump in my throat I have to say.

I love the slide solo as well.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Jul 2014, 13:28

Everyone knows by now I hope that I'm not particularly keen on the Beatles, and I'm staying away from that thread, but I fess up that I actually bought and enjoyed All Things Must Pass and really quite a lot of JL material, although once again my take on it is a bit different to most.
I didn't bother with Imagine or Walls and Bridges, but Live Peace, Rock & Roll, Plastic Ono Band and especially the one everyone likes to diss, Sometime in New York City (my favourite of all albums with any Beatle involvement) all got plenty of playing time in the 1970s, as did All Things Must Pass, but I have to admit that one got old very quickly, and the jam had a lot to do with that.
But, for me, as usual, it is the Plastic Ono Band singles, and particularly Cold Turkey, Instant Karma and Power to the People that really get me moving: the fact that Spector was involved in the production of the latter two probably had something to do with it. I actually like some of Yoko's stuff, too.
Ringo never mattered to me, and I can't be bothered to rehash the reasons I dislike McCartney's music (although in interviews he seems like a very clubbable bloke)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

pig bodine

Postby pig bodine » 24 Jul 2014, 13:38

Again, I'm probably less of a Beatles fan than your avearge fanatic, but more than John Q Public. I have more time for Lennon solo than most though, I guess. POB is great, Imagine is pretty good, but hate is too weak a word to describe my feelings toward the title track. If it was replaced by a non album single, I'd love it, though, agitprop and all. I like Mind Games and Walls & Bridges--don't love, but like--some great songs like Steel and Glass, some boring as fuck ones as well. I love Whatever Gets You Through the Night, so fuck you. That cover he did of The Olympics is fantastic. When he was on, I almost understand the hero worship.

McCartney--I'm a detractor, I'm afraid. He had some great singles, but so much shit, he's not all that different than Billy Joel to me. Ram is a good album--not anywhere as good as it's re-assessors say it is, but good. Junior's Farm is great. Band On the Run is clever and decent in spots. Lots and lot's of unlistenable shit in that catalog, though.

All Things Must Pass--Good, but I'm not as into it as most of you--very one paced.

Ringo had some fun singles--Back Off Boogaloo is great. For a laugh, check out some of the thread on his albums at Hoffman--You'd think he was Mozart.

Return to “Yakety Yak”