BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Do talk back
User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25873
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Jul 2014, 18:41

One thing about the Bee Gees that I find rarely gets discussed- they didn't "sell out" in time for the disco era- they always had an eye on the charts. Hence Beatlish stuff in the 60s, grand 'epics' country rock and CSN harmonies in the early 70s, white soul in the mid-70s, then disco.

Thank god they had Robin, then- there was no way that voice wasn't going to make them sound eccentric even when they were trying to be totally commercial.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51944
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Jul 2014, 18:56

Quacoan wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:Does that guy Quaco still post here? He went to the Hollywood Bowl show, I believe.

Fuck - I was trying to hold it together the whole way. When the video of Robin came on to sing the bridge to "I Started a Joke", I gave up trying.

:lol: I feel that!

I didn't even last through the B.G. clip above. :oops:
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21730
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Toby » 22 Jul 2014, 19:33

Image

What a handsome bastard.

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 9790
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Sneelock » 22 Jul 2014, 19:39

I think I'm more a Robin fan than a Bee Gees fan. some of those singles were just epic, you know? I can still clear a room breaking into "Holiday".

I remember holding a copy of "Main Course" in my hand and nearly spending my hard earned dollars on it. I had a friend who had warmed me to "odessa". I'm glad I took a pass - it got PLENTY of airplay.

I have a lot of good will for the gibbs, they were a potent Beatles methadone when I needed one. (Lonely Days). Still, it's very hard for me to shake the critical mass of their seventies success. that music, while well done and catchy as hell, it really wore out it's welcome YEARS before it would drop off my radar.

I saw some cable show where they were singing those hits and people were eating it up and it did choke me up a bit. I'm glad the Gibbs made good I just can't stand to hear most of their most popular stuff. We'll always have "I started a joke"
"You can bet your last money it’s ALL gonna be a stone-gas, honey!"

User avatar
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs
Posts: 10100
Joined: 07 Sep 2004, 16:52
Location: Presently Shattering the Illusion of Integrity
Contact:

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 22 Jul 2014, 21:48

Their first (not counting the Aussie releases) and one of their best.



Dig Maurice's Rickenbacker!
Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Rick Santorum
Move in next door and marry my son
You must think I’m crazy!

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14898
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Jul 2014, 05:42

Fantastic OP. I never paid much attention to them in my teenage years as it would have been dreadfully unhip. There's a lot to learn..
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs
Posts: 10100
Joined: 07 Sep 2004, 16:52
Location: Presently Shattering the Illusion of Integrity
Contact:

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 23 Jul 2014, 15:37

1974 - On the cusp of superstardom. Unbelievable.



I should add that Side One of Mr. Natural is fantastic. NP.
Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Rick Santorum
Move in next door and marry my son
You must think I’m crazy!

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51944
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jul 2014, 15:46

I think I have the complete run on LP up through Spirits having flown, but I don't think I've listened to any of the post-Odessa, pre-Main Course records more than once each.

I really should do something about that.

Should I just plow through them chronologically or is there a better way to approach that period? Are there any that I just shouldn't bother with?
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

User avatar
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs
Posts: 10100
Joined: 07 Sep 2004, 16:52
Location: Presently Shattering the Illusion of Integrity
Contact:

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 23 Jul 2014, 16:24

Snarfyguy wrote:I think I have the complete run on LP up through Spirits having flown, but I don't think I've listened to any of the post-Odessa, pre-Main Course records more than once each.

I really should do something about that.

Should I just plow through them chronologically or is there a better way to approach that period? Are there any that I just shouldn't bother with?


The Tales from the Brothers Gibb box set does a pretty good job or wrapping up the soggy period, but should you want full albums with few soggy spots, I'd start with Two Years On and Trafalgar. They bridge the gap between 60s Bee Gees and their uncertain early-70s period pretty well. Then on to Mr. Natural, where they begin to turn things around.
Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Rick Santorum
Move in next door and marry my son
You must think I’m crazy!

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51944
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jul 2014, 16:47

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:I think I have the complete run on LP up through Spirits having flown, but I don't think I've listened to any of the post-Odessa, pre-Main Course records more than once each.

I really should do something about that.

Should I just plow through them chronologically or is there a better way to approach that period? Are there any that I just shouldn't bother with?


The Tales from the Brothers Gibb box set does a pretty good job or wrapping up the soggy period, but should you want full albums with few soggy spots, I'd start with Two Years On and Trafalgar. They bridge the gap between 60s Bee Gees and their uncertain early-70s period pretty well. Then on to Mr. Natural, where they begin to turn things around.

No, I have all those records. I'm just not familiar with them.

I'll give your recommendations a spin and see about proceeding from there, thanks!
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

User avatar
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs
Posts: 10100
Joined: 07 Sep 2004, 16:52
Location: Presently Shattering the Illusion of Integrity
Contact:

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 23 Jul 2014, 17:03

Definitely start with Two Years On. It's the first post-Odessa record with all three brothers. Trafalgar is great, but you may want to skip "Lion in Winter" (which is comical, to put it nicely) and go straight for "Walking Back to Waterloo" which is tremendous.
Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Rick Santorum
Move in next door and marry my son
You must think I’m crazy!

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45785
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Quaco » 23 Jul 2014, 17:45

I think Cucumber Castle is underrated. It's mostly pretty dreary (the Gibbs' default position), but there are a couple great songs in there. The opener, "If I Only Had My Mind on Something Else", is a stone classic and one of my very top Bee Gees songs. "Sweetheart" and "Don't Forget to Remember" have great C&W/schlager melodies that you'll find yourself liking against your better judgement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014
Posts: 6248
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 13:19
Location: on diamond dog's ignore list

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby 'skope » 23 Jul 2014, 17:51

Quacoan wrote:I think Cucumber Castle is underrated. It's mostly pretty dreary (the Gibbs' default position), but there are a couple great songs in there. The opener, "If I Only Had My Mind on Something Else", is a stone classic and one of my very top Bee Gees songs. "Sweetheart" and "Don't Forget to Remember" have great C&W/schlager melodies that you'll find yourself liking against your better judgement.


it is. please DON'T forget 'then you left me' and 'my thing', both top-notch.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25873
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jul 2014, 17:52

I've always loved "The Lord." Trendy Jesus-rock (maybe) send-up it may be, but the sound on that thing! It's huge!

And "If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else" is indeed gorgeous- typical Bee Gees teen psychodrama. It's easy to forget they were still kids, pretty much.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs
Posts: 10100
Joined: 07 Sep 2004, 16:52
Location: Presently Shattering the Illusion of Integrity
Contact:

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 23 Jul 2014, 17:55

toomanyhatz wrote:I've always loved "The Lord." Trendy Jesus-rock (maybe) send-up it may be, but the sound on that thing! It's huge!

And "If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else" is indeed gorgeous- typical Bee Gees teen psychodrama. It's easy to forget they were still kids, pretty much.


Someone posted "The Lord" here not too long ago and I was digging it. I still don't own Cucumber Castle. :oops:
Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Rick Santorum
Move in next door and marry my son
You must think I’m crazy!

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51944
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jul 2014, 17:56

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I've always loved "The Lord." Trendy Jesus-rock (maybe) send-up it may be, but the sound on that thing! It's huge!

And "If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else" is indeed gorgeous- typical Bee Gees teen psychodrama. It's easy to forget they were still kids, pretty much.


Someone posted "The Lord" here not too long ago and I was digging it. I still don't own Cucumber Castle. :oops:

I think that was me. Great track!
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45785
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Quaco » 23 Jul 2014, 17:57

toomanyhatz wrote:And "If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else" is indeed gorgeous- typical Bee Gees teen psychodrama. It's easy to forget they were still kids, pretty much.
Let's listen to it now!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25873
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jul 2014, 18:02

They've been promising a proper reissue of Cucumber Castle for a while now, haven't they? Supposedly there's a whole album's worth of outtakes too, so it'd be perfect for the 'double disc' treatment (though there might not be a mono mix).
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014
Posts: 6248
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 13:19
Location: on diamond dog's ignore list

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby 'skope » 23 Jul 2014, 18:03

Phenomenal Cat wrote:The Tales from the Brothers Gibb box set does a pretty good job or wrapping up the soggy period, but should you want full albums with few soggy spots, I'd start with Two Years On and Trafalgar.


trafalgar is still an album i've yet to fully embrace, but 'how can you mend a broken heart?' is another classic.

User avatar
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs
Posts: 10100
Joined: 07 Sep 2004, 16:52
Location: Presently Shattering the Illusion of Integrity
Contact:

Re: BCB 130 - The Bee Gees

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 23 Jul 2014, 18:16

toomanyhatz wrote:They've been promising a proper reissue of Cucumber Castle for a while now, haven't they? Supposedly there's a whole album's worth of outtakes too, so it'd be perfect for the 'double disc' treatment (though there might not be a mono mix).


I really hope so. The Bee Gees, like The Beach Boys, seem to have tons of unreleased material in the can. Several albums worth, I hear.
Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Rick Santorum
Move in next door and marry my son
You must think I’m crazy!

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.