42%
Sly Stone
58%

Total votes: 48

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Frank Zappa vs. Sly Stone

Postby naughty boy » 10 Jul 2014, 13:18

Fonz wrote:Nothing against Sly, but Zappa's talent exceeds by some margin.
He made a lot of different music, with a lot of different lineups, over a longer period of time.

Actually in many ways that's sort of inarguable.

Sly had the common touch, of course, whereas Zappa didn't. And some of the latter's fans wear that as a badge of pride.

When is talent not necessarily a good thing? In pop music, quite clearly.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

der nister

Postby der nister » 10 Jul 2014, 14:14

indeed, some will say it never stopped the Captain,
a snake oiler possibly in both music and painting
Seven octaves, indeed
:lol:
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 10 Jul 2014, 17:09

No songs at all versus a huge pile of classic, era-defining songs.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Jul 2014, 17:23

Guy E wrote:No songs at all versus a huge pile of classic, era-defining songs.

I love you, Guy :oops:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 10 Jul 2014, 17:29

Would it be possible to posthumously award Frank Zappa English citizenship and simultaneously revoke his American citizenship? It might take some effort, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with that arrangement.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Jul 2014, 17:31

Sylvester Stewart produced this gloriously crunchy piece of gonzo rock when he was about 12.

Win

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Jul 2014, 17:37

Guy E wrote:Would it be possible to posthumously award Frank Zappa English citizenship and simultaneously revoke his American citizenship? It might take some effort, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with that arrangement.

vaclav havel was a big fan and bestowed on him the czech civilian award, perhaps if not uk, then the czech republic?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Jul 2014, 17:38

LUV wrote:
Fonz wrote:Nothing against Sly, but Zappa's talent exceeds by some margin.
He made a lot of different music, with a lot of different lineups, over a longer period of time.

Actually in many ways that's sort of inarguable.

Sly had the common touch, of course, whereas Zappa didn't. And some of the latter's fans wear that as a badge of pride.

I disagree that it's inarguable. I think it's highly arguable. Zappa was better equipped to stick 121 64th notes in a bar- that I'd go with. Mastering of every form of music, an instinctive gift for how every instrument and every genre of music works, let alone a natural gift for melody that all the proper training in the world can't give you? I'd say Sly's edge there is just as inarguable.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 10 Jul 2014, 17:50

When I was younger and going to shows all the time, I had a buddy who was hugely into Zappa. As we lived in a small town in the midwest, every show was at least an hour and a half away. So i could drive to show, listen to what I wanted but have to stay relatively sober for the drive home. Or my buddy could drive, he didn't drink, so I could party my brains out and he would drive home but in control of the tunes. God how I learned to hate Frank Zappa.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 10 Jul 2014, 17:51

Guy E wrote:No songs at all versus a huge pile of classic, era-defining songs.

Nailed.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Jul 2014, 17:52

no, no, two songs!

and a greasy doo wop album
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

der nister

Postby der nister » 10 Jul 2014, 18:08

possibly Zappas' finest hour
I couldn't imagine a musician
handling himself with such class, wit and intelligence
during a possibly pretty dark time
for that listeners and musicians are forever in his debt
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Jul 2014, 18:15

True, z.

More and more, this is the Frank Zappa I am interested in, with connections to R&B, doo wop, and so-called Pachuco soul, and keeper of the flame of Southern California '50s-'60s culture. There is lots of stuff like this. This is just a sample:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Jul 2014, 18:16

I respect him
For that too
But tellingly
His greatest moments
Have little to do
Directly at least
With music
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 10 Jul 2014, 19:29

hookfinger wrote:When I was younger and going to shows all the time, I had a buddy who was hugely into Zappa. As we lived in a small town in the midwest, every show was at least an hour and a half away. So i could drive to show, listen to what I wanted but have to stay relatively sober for the drive home. Or my buddy could drive, he didn't drink, so I could party my brains out and he would drive home but in control of the tunes. God how I learned to hate Frank Zappa.

My high school experience was similar. I didn't have a car and my parents' car didn't have an 8-track player. My friends who had cars had 8-tracks, but they didn't have very big collections of tapes. So... Jethro Tull and Frank Zappa albums that were amongst their 12 or 15 8-tracks got played over and over and over. I wasn't too fond of either artist to begin with, but overexposure permanently sullied my opinion.

The fact that Ian and Frankie both give good interviews is besides the point.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 10 Jul 2014, 19:48

I suspect many folks' disregard for FZ comes from exposure to Overnight Sensation and/or Valley Girls, and not a lot else. Fair enough. That stuff made the mainstream. Got FZ 'known' for 'Titties and Beer' and 'Dynamo Hum'. But FZ's work is far more diverse, and f there really is nothing amongst the approximately 100 official releases that you could bear to listen to...or even compare to Sly's handful of songs/albums I think there's a perverse negative snobbery at play.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Jul 2014, 19:56

Fonz wrote:I suspect many folks' disregard for FZ comes from exposure to Overnight Sensation and/or Valley Girls, and not a lot else. Fair enough. That stuff made the mainstream. Got FZ 'known' for 'Titties and Beer' and 'Dynamo Hum'. But FZ's work is far more diverse, and f there really is nothing amongst the approximately 100 official releases that you could bear to listen to...or even compare to Sly's handful of songs/albums I think there's a perverse negative snobbery at play.

Well, at times that's part of the problem for me- particularly late in life he felt the need to release it every time he scratched his ass. I mean, how many official releases does anybody need? I mean unless it's somebody like the Dead where if you're a fan you're likely obsessive.

As for 'perverse negative snobbery,' nothing of the kind (in my case, anyway). I love We're Only In It For The Money and about half of Freak Out- but neither of them give me 1/10th of the pleasure of an average Sly album. And I've looked at it from every angle- felt that way as a kid just getting into music, felt that way no matter how hard I intellectualized it. Yep- mentally, physically and emotionally. He just does more for me.

And I've never heard Overnight Sensation in full, to my knowledge. And I like "Valley Girl" and don't think it's out of line with his normal style- he started out doing novelty stuff, after all.
Footy wrote:

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 10 Jul 2014, 20:27

Fonz wrote:I suspect many folks' disregard for FZ comes from exposure to Overnight Sensation and/or Valley Girls, and not a lot else. Fair enough. That stuff made the mainstream. Got FZ 'known' for 'Titties and Beer' and 'Dynamo Hum'. But FZ's work is far more diverse, and f there really is nothing amongst the approximately 100 official releases that you could bear to listen to...or even compare to Sly's handful of songs/albums I think there's a perverse negative snobbery at play.

No, I've heard plenty of Zappa's albums. I was at the Chicago premier of 200 Motels (peer pressure is to blame). His mostly instrumental jazz-groove albums are tolerable - Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo - but as soon as he opens his Mr. Clever mouth and unsheathes his musical genius moves, I gag.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 10 Jul 2014, 20:58

Listening to Sirius/XM's "Outlaw Country" station last night, between shows when they played "Black Napkins," a FZ blues instrumental I'd never heard. Really nice, in an after-hours jam kind of way.

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

12stringbassist

Postby 12stringbassist » 13 Jul 2014, 09:41

Heard and own lots of Zappa. Heard bits of Sly. My vote went to FZ.
The world was holding its breath waiting for me to post that, obviously......

Return to “Yakety Yak”