Postby algroth » 29 May 2017, 15:32

Osgood wrote:Re ELP studio albums:

Trilogy
1st
Tarkus
Brain Salad Surgery

and then forget

Isn't it?

Pretty much, though I'd have their debut first by some distance, followed by Tarkus and then Trilogy (those last two are hard though, because to me Tarkus is yet again all about the title track, which a bunch of forgettable stuff slapped on the second side). They did have some excellent live albums too, but they are so sprawly that they fall well into 'fans only' territory. :)

Jeemo

Re: Penk's Prog Odyssey: ELP

Postby Jeemo » 29 May 2017, 17:34

Osgood wrote:Re ELP studio albums:

Trilogy
1st
Tarkus
Brain Salad Surgery

and then forget

Isn't it?

No.

BSS
Pictures at an Exhibition
Trilogy
Tarkus
self titled
Works 1
Black Moon

The rest.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 29 May 2017, 23:45

There used to be a photoshopped gif of Love Beach with Hendrix standing on the left and his name added to the title, but I can't find it anymore.

"Quite."

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 May 2017, 00:32

It's what Jimi would have wanted
The Complete Beatles Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 30 May 2017, 00:44

Just I case you missed me mentioning it elsewhere, a deluxe version of Love Beach was released last Friday.

Don't all rush now.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 03 Jun 2017, 05:53

PENK wrote:LET'S PROG!

For people who don't know what prog sounds like, this is what prog sounds like.

What I mean is that this is what prog sounds like in the brain of someone who has never heard prog. Noodly organ, silly lyrics, dramatic chords. Men with long hair playing a lot of notes very quickly, and in a variety of time and key signatures and so on. The prog never stops. Apart from 'Benny the Bouncer', which is basically a rubbish joke.

It's very, very kitschy. The dinky toytown production, the bloopy organ. It's the proggiest prog I've ever heard and the most juvenile. It's pretentious and overblown - 'Karn Evil 9' is half an hour long, has several sections, dreadful synths and lyrics that go "no man yields who flies in my ship. Danger! Let the bridge computer speak. Stranger! Load your program, I am yourself" yet also mention kings, jewels, vaseline, fighting cocks and "jackals of gold" - and all incredibly silly. It's difficult to really know how serious they are. They sound like they take themselves very seriously and think they're making art; yet they sound like they're having a blast, as everything is so lively and daft. Can we really hold that against them?

Henri Bergson says that "a comic character is generally comic in proportion to his ignorance of himself". ELP give an impression of pomposity and of a complete absence of self-awareness, and yet there's something likable about them, as there is a lot of life to their music however nutty and rubbish it is.

I understand that even for the serious prog fans on here, the ones who are into the whole capes-and-mead thing at the weekend, ELP are often considered a bridge too far. A guilty prog pleasure, maybe?

The music on Brain Salad Surgery is ludicrous; the musicians are preposterous. The temptation is to laugh. The Bible, though, warns us against mockery, telling of the small boys who jeered a bald man, saying "get along with you, bald head"; he cursed them in the name of the Lord and a she-bear came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of them. This is a real Bible story, incidentally. And as such, it's difficult to feel too mean-spirited about ELP. They sound on the record like they are having a blast.

It's tinged, too with tragedy. Keith Emerson took his own life last year as he was losing the use of his hands and was affected by stagefright. Who can really mock that?

I didn't have such a good time listening to their record; I really didn't think it was any good at all, but listening to it still helped me understand. Their absurdity and ridiculousness put the fun in prog.

Here we go again PENK's out of time out of era review.

First off like a few said this is my fourth or fifth favorite ELP album so far from their greatest achievements.
Also while I'm a big prog fan ELP is not near the top of my favorite prog bands although Lake and Emerson have their moments. Emerson was a great frontman and killer keyboard player (I don't care if he was full of it).
In my eyes the second half of the album (except the opening minute or two) is where ELP starts to drop the shark. They start to turn into a solo artist while still in a band. And the Works albums go even farther. However, at the time I was fascinated in the take classical to rock approach. Toccata is a great example of that. ELP is part of the reason I started listening to classical and jazz. Without them who knows how different my jazz and classical collection would be. Or the greats we saw in the late 70's and early 80's because of them (jarrett, Peterson, Corea, RTF, Weather Report, Segovia, Pass, Williams, McCoy, Max Roach, Buddy Rich and the mostly mozart festival we went to every year) .

Penk's what is your problem with
Still....You Turn Me On? sure a simple song but I've always liked it.

I'm also a fan of Jerusalem and Toccata and pieces of side two. As for the rest I'll give them a pass as experimental. Yes it was over the top at times.
However, it was a sign of the times we saw them in 77 when they played with an orchestra and it was over the top but amazing. Then again I'm a fan of piano and keyboards which one can understand if they don't like it. It is also where I learned I didn't care for Carl Palmer's drumming style.

Keith showing off :o

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 03 Jun 2017, 06:01

with all the stuff people do today this was very primitive

and flying piano :lol:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 Aug 2017, 05:31

Can you do another album, Mr. Penk? I want more!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Penk's Prog Odyssey: Caravan

Postby PENK » 05 Sep 2017, 08:55

When one hears of the Canterbury sound, one immediately thinks of churches and from there the mind leaps to other symbols of fading Englishness: leafy woods, village greens, pints of bitter and so on. The sound was in many ways a serious muso thing, all jazzy improv, virtuouso beard-stroking and talking authoritatively about drum fills. They had a whimsical side too, of which Gong are the most obvious exponents: that band's entire career seemed to be an excuse for them to make up a long saga about a farty goblin.

Caravan have all of this whimsy and Englishness. Their lyrics are silly and full of fusty fantasy and endearing nonsense, calling to mind Lear or a more juvenile Carroll. The singer is named Pye Hasting, a glorious name which suggests he once bowled off-breaks for Somerset, and is the central character in one of the forthcoming Game of Thrones spinoffs. He has a strange voice, at once deep and reedy, bookish and cheeky. The songs here are unusual, imaginative, but not overcomplicated: no rapid-fire shredding or crashing, epic chords to be found here. Instead we have sometimes uncanny and often pretty songs which move through different sections and are adorned with odd touches, tuneful organ solos and a chunky, bouncy rhythm section. There is even a prominent cowbell on the poppy 'Love to Love You''.

The production is warm and inviting, though the sound does hint at the soft, stadium pap that prog often favoured later on. Here, though, the naffness is peculiarly cosy: always pleasant, even if the instrumental passages start to remind me of cheesy library music. Although there is plenty of noodling with organs and there are occasional half-hearted guitar workouts here, only one song, the closing 'Nine Feet Underground', goes the full prog, with its 20-odd minutes and multiple sections led by a cod-dramatic organ but also featuring some rather lovely flute and mellotron. It's sadder than the rest of the album but fits well, and the manic final section avoids being too excessive.

The album works for me because it takes a very logical step from the psychedelic era, moving towards a pastoral sound full of folklore and oddness. This quaint sound is much more to my taste than the chaotic drama of Van Der Graaf Generator or the fiddly showmanship of Gentle Giant, for example. It is an album that could only have been made at a certain time: its florid silliness is a world away from the determined untidiness of modern indie bands, for example. It's music which is easily suggestive of a time and place: it sounds like it could have been recorded in the back room of an antiquarian bookshop, or in a wizard's pantry, or inside an old oak tree. Isn't that what you want from a prog album?

I should note that this is an album I have owned and liked for a long time, but it is one of the highest-rated prog albums on this board so it is worth revisiting for this thread.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 05 Sep 2017, 19:36

Quaco wrote:Can you do another album, Mr. Penk? I want more!

I have done but it seems people would rather talk about Hüsker fucking Dü!
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Sep 2017, 19:40

I'll give the Caravan a go tomorrow Ed. I don't remember it too well actually, but enjoyed it when I was playing it a few years ago. Certainly time for another spin!

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 05 Sep 2017, 19:41

I remember it was you who turned me onto it actually G, a prog-for-psych-fans tip!
GoogaMooga wrote:

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 05 Sep 2017, 19:44

Caravan are one of my favourite programme bands. They are light footed, whimsical and warm. Elements that shared with other Canterbury acts, including Gong (if you'll accept my including them).

They had some terrible puns in album titles though.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Sep 2017, 19:59

This is a must, Bob Stanley And Pete Wiggs Present English Weather.

http://acerecords.co.uk/bob-stanley-and ... sh-weather
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Sep 2017, 20:08

Good stuff. Makes me want to investigate Caravan further. (Contrary to popular belief, I don't know or love all prog.)

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 05 Sep 2017, 20:23

I like that album but much prefer the two that came before it.

Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Sep 2017, 20:35

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 07 Sep 2017, 19:11

None of the Prog Squad want to offer some thoughts on this one? Recommendations in a similar vein?

You've all got plenty to say when I don't like the albums!
GoogaMooga wrote:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 Sep 2017, 19:43

Caravan is a strange one. I find myself disliking them because they are almost Soft Machine but not quite. "Place of My Own" is one song that definitely stands up, and they do have a nice sound -- the more tuneful aspect of SM, something I certainly like. But I haven't found the album for me, as of yet ... but I haven't really listened to the album in question here, which is generally considered their best, so what do I know?

Listening ...

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Sep 2017, 19:51

I'm on a Caravan kick today. Listening to all their albums chronologically (and will keep it up till I can stands no more - I have heard later 70s stuff that I didn't much care for). But I believe Quaco is on record as not liking much Canterbury stuff beyond the Softs and I am very much the opposite - I feel like every band from there has some humor and quirkiness likely to appeal to me. And for the most part (National Health is an occasional exception, as are the Softs, of course) there's not much in the way of overdone weedly guitar/keyboard pyrotechnics.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!