Kate Bush UK shows

Do talk back
Jimbly

Re: Kate Bush UK shows

Postby Jimbly » 22 Nov 2016, 18:04

I saw Rhodes in his first band Random Hold supporting Peter Gabriel. I thought they were brilliant and had high hopes for them. Gabriel then poached Rhodes for some session stuff and RH fell apart. Which was a shame.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Spec

Postby Spec » 30 Nov 2016, 11:21

What a strange album it is.

I find the first disc very good. The recording is excellent and the singing strong. The 2nd and 3rd I'm much less sure about. The narration makes me cringe and the songs are less strong, although the performances are still great. I assume it all makes more sense if you were at the shows?

Overall, nice to hear but I don't expect me going back to it very often.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Dec 2016, 09:10

Well I've listened to it pretty extensively the past week or so....

I absolutely love that there are (allegedly) no overdubs - it certainly sounds that way. It isn't perfect - there are some (very small) pitch problems with Kate.... exactly as I remember from the night I was there. That's how it should be - I'm glad she resisted the temptation to polish everything to perfection.

That having been said - the band are absolutely fucking exemplary. Omar Hakim, particularly, is stunning in parts. Again, exactly as I recall.

The first disc is very very strong, as you say Spec. Musically it's an odd set of tunes though - they're great singularly but don't really lead thatnaturally into eachother.

The second disc ("The Ninth Wave") is technically the toughest of the three - to get everything to fit together as they did was some achievement. I remember on the night thinking how magical "And Dream Of Sheep" was.... and it is so good here too. I also remember the tension of the night... building to "Hello Earth" and then the pure release of "The Morning Fog".... this set captures that brilliantly.

But the third disc is where I think it reaches its peak - like you Spec, I'm not sure the narrative works for those that weren't there... I do understand that. But it's kind of essential for the piece to work naturally, for me. My only question is why the arrangement of "Sunset" was altered so much... I loove the new version but the original is my favourite part of the whole album. Still, minor complaint. . But...my lord... when you get to "Nocturn" and the cataclysmic "Aerial".... I'm right back there on that night. Right there. Astonishing crescendo. When "Among Angels" follows with just Kate and the piano.... it's the only way she could have come back... and it's gorgeous. Then the climax of "Cloudbusting" takes you home.... perfect and exactly how it was... impossible not to be moved by it.

And, yeah, I love how Kate thanks the fans too. You can tell she is somewhat overwhelmed and I love that little bit of fragility.

Thanks Kate - I love it. Unreservedly. It's a beautiful, beautiful document of a great night.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Dec 2016, 06:26

I've heard it completely twice so far and I'm in Pete's corner although I wasn't at any of the shows. To echo a bit of what you were saying about Kate's allowing the imperfections to show, she also allows the band to breathe, no doubt partly to Omar Hakim's drumming which was well done. The music requires precision which he handled but he also gave the music some breath. Actually the entire band did a great job. King Of the Mountain is epic! I noticed in one song where Kate didn't attack each verse in the same exact spot for each verse and I thought to myself, in the studio that would have never stayed that way.
I'm glad she didn't fix things because what would be the point unless it was catastrophic? Might as well play the studio albums.
I wish she had been ok to release a dvd but I respect her wishes. I know the decision wasn't easy as she went to great trouble and expense to record it. I only wish it could have been possible for me to go to one of the shows. I used to watch the vhs tape of the '79 tour a lot back in the '80s.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Dec 2016, 10:03

It's good to hear from those that weren't lucky enough to attend in person, Les, thank you.

Generally it has got pretty 'rave' reviews - that's nice to know that those of us that were lucky enough to see it weren't completely off our rockers with our reviews of the time.

One thing I do know - Omar Hakim is a frighteningly great drummer. His ability to build with precision is really something to behold.
Cocaine

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 17 Dec 2016, 10:41

Don't you all hope she runs into financial trouble and has to sell her soul and do a proper show for normal fans: 40 minutes playing the kick inside in its entirety, then a second half with Running up that Hill, the Futureheads song, Wow and all the hits.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Dec 2016, 10:42

'Proper show'?

'Normal fans' ?

Right - you never got a ticket.

Gotcha.
Cocaine

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 17 Dec 2016, 12:06

I've played it a few times. I saw the concert. But I could do without the spoken bits especially the grating "piss off" bit. But that's just me.
“Erratic associate member”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Dec 2016, 12:35

I get that entirely.... I think it works both ways.... I guess in the end the spoken parts will begin to piss me off too.
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 17 Dec 2016, 16:43

Her public reasons for not releasing a dvd of the shows are ridiculous. Just tell us you weren't happy with the end result or at least release some of the bits that she was happy with.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2017, 08:05

Just a bit of 'inside info'.... remember I said I found out after the shows were complete that Kate's rehearsals for her shows were at a public school near me ... well.... one of my postmen has been talking to the caretaker who 'strongly suggested' that Kate is doing something similar sometime soon..... so.... keep your eyes and ears open......... 8-)
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 11 Feb 2017, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

HotRats

Postby HotRats » 11 Feb 2017, 10:06

Diamond Dog wrote:Just a bit of 'inside info'.... remember I said I found out after the shows were complete that Kate's rehearsals for her shows were at a public school near me (Carmel College) ... well.... one of my postmen has been talking to the caretaker who 'strongly suggested' that Kate is doing something similar sometime soon..... so.... keep your eyes and ears open......... 8-)

...and wallets.....

That would be a dream and thanks for that information. However...she didn't seem very keen on the idea recently. But perhaps that was her usual reticence to give people anything that could be considered "information".

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Mar 2017, 16:23

I knew that on 'Hello Earth' Kate had the Richard Hickox singers sing Georgian stuff, but I didn't know until yesterday that the tune was not written by her. Now I've fallen into a HUGE rabbit hole of this stuff.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Mar 2017, 16:28

Diamond Dog wrote:Just a bit of 'inside info'.... remember I said I found out after the shows were complete that Kate's rehearsals for her shows were at a public school near me ... well.... one of my postmen has been talking to the caretaker who 'strongly suggested' that Kate is doing something similar sometime soon..... so.... keep your eyes and ears open......... 8-)

Hopefully she'll do some shows outside of fucking London
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 21 Mar 2017, 07:57

Isn't the Hello Earth (peek-a-boo earth :? ) just lifted wholesale from Herzog's Nosferatu where I assume she heard it? I was astounded when I first heard it partucularly when I could find no attribution in the cd credits (maybe I'm wrong)

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Mar 2017, 08:04

It's three years today since the shows were announced......
Cocaine

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 21 Mar 2017, 08:11

Your sheets must be dry by now Peter?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 Mar 2017, 08:59

She's touring with KIM WILDE next year, my sources tell me.

The tour will be called.....
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Mar 2017, 09:17

Wilde Bush!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Mar 2017, 09:48

Goat Boy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Just a bit of 'inside info'.... remember I said I found out after the shows were complete that Kate's rehearsals for her shows were at a public school near me ... well.... one of my postmen has been talking to the caretaker who 'strongly suggested' that Kate is doing something similar sometime soon..... so.... keep your eyes and ears open......... 8-)

Hopefully she'll do some shows outside of fucking London

Likely it's studio rehearsals, rather than live stuff....
Cocaine

Return to “Yakety Yak”