Their reputation will die with their audience

Do talk back
mantochanga

Their reputation will die with their audience

Postby mantochanga » 07 Mar 2014, 16:44

I was on a tube train with Clapton fans on their way to a Royal Albert Hall Slowhand gig a couple of years ago. As you’d imagine (and making allowances for the fact that I didn’t attend the gig, which might have been full of kids, but let’s assume not) everyone was a good 60 years old.

The thing is, I don’t see Clapton generating any new fans, or his catalogue containing much that’s ever going to be ripe for discovery. When you come right down to it, he didn’t make enough great records. I’ll be telling my grandchildren, “Badge, and that’s it”.

But if you’d grown up with him, I’m sure you’ll have a different view, based on the spirit of the age, and a recognition of Clapton’s talents and qualities that were once new, exciting or innovative, but which now sound well-worn and clichéd. He must have done some of this electric blues stuff first, or something?

Not that I want to have an argument about Clapton. But I am interested in his reputational slide from 'God' to sod. People my age are baffled that, in his day, he regularly beat Jimi Hendrix in best guitarist polls. Baffled.

But who else can we think of who was right for their own time, who still retains an audience that grew up with them, that understands the context they came out of, and knows what innovations they introduced; but who lacks whatever qualities are needed for long-view posterity and the love and attention of succeeding generations.

How about perennial BCB Cup absentees Brian Poole and the Tremeloes? The Sensational Alex Harvey Band? The REM? Bill Haley and the Comets? Bob Marley?

The Mysterious Doctor Satan's Robot
Universally Despised

Re: Their reputation will die with their audience

Postby The Mysterious Doctor Satan's Robot » 07 Mar 2014, 16:47

Clapton didn't do his legacy any favours with that autobiography of his..
And the day keeps on remindin' me, there's a boozehound on my trail

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 07 Mar 2014, 16:48

The REM? Now really...

(your idea is a good one; but I was surprised that you thought of REM and Marley - never mind. I don't have the time to reflect on this now, but tomorrow I will delve into the matter; I am sure that just before falling asleep tonight i will get some ideas and connections between them.)
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Postby ... » 07 Mar 2014, 16:58

mantochanga wrote:I was on a tube train with Clapton fans on their way to a Royal Albert Hall Slowhand gig a couple of years ago. As you’d imagine (and making allowances for the fact that I didn’t attend the gig, which might have been full of kids, but let’s assume not) everyone was a good 60 years old.

The thing is, I don’t see Clapton generating any new fans, or his catalogue containing much that’s ever going to be ripe for discovery. When you come right down to it, he didn’t make enough great records. I’ll be telling my grandchildren, “Badge, and that’s it”.

But if you’d grown up with him, I’m sure you’ll have a different view, based on the spirit of the age, and a recognition of Clapton’s talents and qualities that were once new, exciting or innovative, but which now sound well-worn and clichéd. He must have done some of this electric blues stuff first, or something?

Not that I want to have an argument about Clapton. But I am interested in his reputational slide from 'God' to sod. People my age are baffled that, in his day, he regularly beat Jimi Hendrix in best guitarist polls. Baffled.

But who else can we think of who was right for their own time, who still retains an audience that grew up with them, that understands the context they came out of, and knows what innovations they introduced; but who lacks whatever qualities are needed for long-view posterity and the love and attention of succeeding generations.

How about perennial BCB Cup absentees Brian Poole and the Tremeloes? The Sensational Alex Harvey Band? The REM? Bill Haley and the Comets? Bob Marley?

Not a particularly huge Clapton fan, but to ignore Layla and say that Badge is his only truly great record is just absurd. That said, can see your point about his audience kicking the bucket with him. Who are The REM btw? Presumably it's some sort of new Neil Hannon concept act about the European Exchange Rate Mechanism.

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 07 Mar 2014, 17:12

OK, Layla too.

The REM did The Reckoning, The Fables of Construction. That kind of thing. I can hardly remember really. No one can!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Mar 2014, 17:22

mantochanga wrote:

Although it's always a controversial thing to say on BCB, I feel that about a lot of prog,..which is why its adherents on here are almost exclusively people who have grown up with it. Generally speaking it hasn't succeeded in capturing the interest of subsequent generations.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 07 Mar 2014, 17:24

I really don't concern myself with legacy, but I think the vast majority of "rock" music will be largely forgotten when the audience dies. There are passionate music fans that become historians of a sort, they keep the best and the cult favorites alive. It's like that Gene Clark No Other tour where they replicated the whole album with an underground all-star cast. Concert interpretations of Nick Drake's songs have been mounted... that sort of thing.

A fluid historical critical consensus is established; Kraftwerk, the Velvet Underground and other "important" artists will be framed and mounted. But the vast majority will be forgotten.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 07 Mar 2014, 17:49

Van Morrison.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Mar 2014, 19:20

I'd wager that Clapton's rep is among the most durable in pop music.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Mar 2014, 19:24

VRZ Robotz wrote:I'd wager that Clapton's rep is among the most durable in pop music.

Pffffft.

The tedious racist cunt is on the way out thank God. Seriously, the guy's a dinosaur.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Mar 2014, 20:22

VRZ Robotz wrote:I'd wager that Clapton's rep is among the most durable in pop music.

In what sense is it?
I think the original post has a point. A few of his songs have become oldies radio chestnuts - "Wonderful Tonight", "Layla" and er..the one about his dead son perhaps. However his critical reputation, in terms of being seen as this vital artist, is hardly very high now. I don't think you'd find many young people looking for his work either. His biggest legacy is probably Cream, but it was Bruce and Baker that made that band in my view.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 07 Mar 2014, 20:35

Phenomenal Cat wrote:Van Morrison.

Who?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 07 Mar 2014, 21:03

The Modernist wrote:However his critical reputation, in terms of being seen as this vital artist, is hardly very high now. I don't think you'd find many young people looking for his work either. His biggest legacy is probably Cream, but it was Bruce and Baker that made that band in my view.

Agree to the word.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 Mar 2014, 21:10

All UK "independent" music between The Smiths and The Stone Roses.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 07 Mar 2014, 21:16

The Modernist wrote:
mantochanga wrote:

Although it's always a controversial thing to say on BCB, I feel that about a lot of prog,..which is why its adherents on here are almost exclusively people who have grown up with it. Generally speaking it hasn't succeeded in capturing the interest of subsequent generations.

Maybe in the UK but in every other country in the world prog still generates a great deal of interest among younger generations.
I run out of talent

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Mar 2014, 21:21

Yeah we've had this chat before (in the pub rather than on here!) and it is interesting how differently these things are perceived in different countries.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 07 Mar 2014, 21:57

WG Kaspar wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
mantochanga wrote:

Maybe in the UK but in every other country in the world prog still generates a great deal of interest among younger generations.

In Greece! I was surprised - the couple of times I've visited, you'd find a lot of old prog vinyl knocking around in those record shops.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Mar 2014, 22:23

The Modernist wrote:

In what sense is it?
I think the original post has a point. A few of his songs have become oldies radio chestnuts - "Wonderful Tonight", "Layla" and er..the one about his dead son perhaps. However his critical reputation, in terms of being seen as this vital artist, is hardly very high now. I don't think you'd find many young people looking for his work either. His biggest legacy is probably Cream, but it was Bruce and Baker that made that band in my view.

You don't find many young people looking for Louis Jordan's work either, or Robert Johnson - but their critical reputations persist.

When Eric Clapton is someday viewed within the scope of history, he'll be remembered as one of the prototype guitar heroes, and as the guy who entered the hall of fame in more incarnations than any other artist. His legacy is pretty well secured.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Mar 2014, 22:28

VRZ Robotz wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

In what sense is it?

You don't find many young people looking for Louis Jordan's work either, or Robert Johnson - but their critical reputations persist.

When Eric Clapton is someday viewed within the scope of history, he'll be remembered as one of the prototype guitar heroes, and as the guy who entered the hall of fame in more incarnations than any other artist. His legacy is pretty well secured.

Your first point is probably true, as to your second, does anyone really give a shit about The Hall Of Fame?
He will probably be continued to be checked out by young rock guitarists wanting know about the history of their instrument. I don't think he'll have much appeal beyond that personally.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 07 Mar 2014, 22:32

Muskrat wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:Van Morrison.

Who?

My work is done here.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Return to “Yakety Yak”