Stuff from old magazines and whatnot

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Stuff from old magazines and whatnot

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Feb 2014, 06:25

Every now and then I'll read something in one of my many old rock magazines or books that strikes me as particularly interesting or funny or cool or preposterous or prescient, and I'll think I should post that to BCB! - because I love you all so - but in what context?

So this thread's the context. I'll occasionally post something here, and you can all either read it and say wow! - that's really interesting or funny or cool or preposterous or prescient, or you can go suck eggs.

Oh yeah, feel free to post similar items yourself, if you're so inclined. And comment, of course.

. . .

I expect most of these will be a lot shorter than this first item - but I just read this during lunch today, and I'm too boyishly excited not to post it immediately. It's from a 1966 article on the Rolling Stones, but patient Beatlemaniacs may be rewarded with an unexpected illumination regarding an obscure bit of '67 Fabs trivia...

The August 1966 issue of Hit Parader features a cluster of articles under the header "DO THE ROLLING STONES HATE THEIR FANS?" One of those articles concerned the band's stop at the Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis on their second U.S. tour, on the 17th of November, 1965 (thanks, Wikipedia!). To paraphrase the first half: the boys wouldn't get off their private plane until it was showtime; refused to do a press conference or any interviews - wouldn't even talk to the DJs from local radio station WMPS, who were promoting the show; didn't allow any non-essential personnel backstage; didn't make themselves available for autographs; played for only 25 minutes; pissed off the officials at the Coliseum ("They're ill-attired," one is quoted, "they surely have no manners"). (Coincidentally or not, this, their first Memphis performance, would also be their last until 1975 [thanks again, Wiki].)

But as writer Ann Hill reports, a couple of attendees managed to see a different side of the Stones:

Ann Hill wrote:Amidst the downfall of criticisms that were thrown at the Stones, there were two fortunate girls who held an entirely different opinion. They are the only two teenagers in Memphis who are known to have received a private audience with the five reclusive singers and this was accomplished through a WMPS art contest.

Mary Scruggs is 17, a Senior at Immaculate Conception High School, and an officer in a local Rolling Stones Fan Club. She won the contest through originality by sewing the words "WMPS Good Guys Welcome The Rolling Stones" on a childs sweatshirt. [note of explanation: a number of US pop radio stations in those days - most famously WMCA in New York - referred to their on-air personalities, and sometimes their devoted listeners, as "The [call letters] Good Guys". It was a thing.] About the Stones, Mary said, "I thought they were very nice and courteous, the very opposite to all the rumors I'd heard because everyone told me they were gonna be real rude and wouldn't want to talk to me. It was just the opposite because I didn't know what to say and they did most of the talking."

Sally Ware is 18, a Freshman majoring in art at Memphis State University, her home is in Mauldin, Mo., and her ambition is to become a professional artist. She won the artistic division of the contest through an original charcoal of the Stones. After meeting the guys, Sally confessed, "They acted like real people and this was kind of amazing to me. I don't usually go wild over these singing groups and it was a thrill to meet Mick Jagger because he's the only famous person I've ever wanted to meet. He seemed like I thought he would, sophisticated and rather intelligent."

[...] Mary Scruggs recalled, "I thought Brian Jones was the friendliest, really, because when I got backstage I was very nervous and he started talking to me to help put me at ease. First, he asked me about the contest then I tripped over an amplifier and he sort of helped me up. I had a tape recorder with me which wouldn't work so he bound it with his fists [? - that's what it says. Pounded, maybe?] and started talking into the microphone."

Sally made the statement that he seemed the most friendly to her also. "When the photographer asked us to pose for a picture, Brian put his arm around me and said 'Come on, let's have our picture made.' He was kind of cute and I adored his blonde hair."

Mary made the statement that she thought the others were probably more shy but Sally said their behavior might be classified as sophistication.

During the brief picture taking session, the girls did notice one isolated instance of Stones hostility or sarcastic humor when the photographers asked Keith Richard if he might snap several pictures. Keith looked up slowly from the guitar which he had been strumming and said, "What do you mean man. Can't you see I'm tuning my guitar."

Where Mick Jagger was concerned, both girls were terrifically delighted. When Mary showed him the little boys shirt that had been her entry in the contest, Mick held it up to himself and said, "Well, it's gonna be a little small. Do you want me to keep it." Mary told him if he wanted the shirt, he could have it so Mick said with a quick wink, "Okay, I'll keep it."

By that time the coliseum men were asking the girls to leave but before they left, Mick Jagger took Sally by the hand and said "I sure am glad I got to meet you." [...]

Sally Ware and Mary Scruggs are perhaps the only two people in Memphis who have been left with a favorable, almost ecstatic impression of Rolling Stones hospitality. It could well be that they were the only two persons to see the Stones in the light of their true personalities. Perhaps the defensive armor of rudeness, sarcasm and hostility that has been built around the Stones is an excess weight that they'd actually like to shed but somehow find themselves caught in the web of a prefabricated image that is now difficult to discard.

Sadly Hit Parader didn't get (or didn't print) a photo of Mary's prize-winning sweatshirt. But I think it probably looked something like this:

Last edited by Charlie O. on 15 Aug 2017, 06:59, edited 2 times in total.

Piggly Wiggly

Re: Stuff from old magazines and whatnot

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 18 Feb 2014, 06:33

I love this!

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 18 Feb 2014, 11:28

Where Mick Jagger was concerned, both girls were terrifically delighted. :)
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Feb 2014, 15:19

I do wonder how Mary Scruggs felt when she saw the Pepper cover.

And Sally Ware, for that matter. Here she was, a proper artist, and this other girl's tacky sweatshirt ends up being used by Peter Blake as part of one of the most ubiquitous and iconic works of art in the world!
Last edited by Charlie O. on 19 Feb 2014, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Feb 2014, 15:27

May, a big fan, was determined to win, so she "bought a kids striped shirt at the dollar store."

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Feb 2014, 03:18

A Young Rascal prognosticates prog, punk, and post-punk:

"The music is getting more complex and it's going to continue - in my opinion - to get more complex until it reaches that breaking point. It's evolving and evolving, and while we're still pretty far from it, eventually it will become just too much for the average kid to play. Then somebody will come along and put it down to three basic chords or four basic chords for a little excitement and it will all start again. And that will evolve."
    - Felix Cavaliere, quoted in Inside Pop by David Dachs (Scholastic Book Services, 1968)

_
Last edited by Charlie O. on 18 Jul 2018, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Feb 2014, 03:31

Charlie O. wrote:I do wonder how Mary Scruggs felt when she saw the Pepper cover.

And Sally Ware, for that matter. Here she was, a proper artist, and this other girl's tacky sweatshirt ends up being used by Peter Blake as part of one of the most ubiquitous and iconic works of art in the world!

That is a trip.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 19 Feb 2014, 09:12

Charlie O. wrote:A Young Rascal prognosticates prog, punk, and post-punk:

"The music is getting more complex and it's going to continue - in my opinion - to get more complex until it reaches that breaking point. It's evolving and evolving, and while we're still pretty far from it, eventually it will become just too much for the average kid to play. Then somebody will come along and put it down to three basic chords or four basic chords for a little excitement and it will all start again. And that will evolve."
    - Felix Cavaliere, quoted in Inside Pop by David Dachs (Scholastic Book Services, 1968)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Feb 2014, 04:32

Lead guitarist Jerry Garcia of The Grateful Dead is well-known to San Franciscans as "Captain Trips" because of the excursion boats he once piloted up the scenic Sacramento River.
      - FLIP's Groovy Guide To The Groops! (Signet, 1968)

_
Last edited by Charlie O. on 18 Jul 2018, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 20 Feb 2014, 07:41

Charlie, that opening post is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! That is awesomeness of the highest order. You can plainly see the words "Good Guys" on that sweater sleeve, I wonder if anyone ever noticed that and questioned where it came from ... or mentioned it as a Paul Is Dead clue.

I was SO happy that they included the winning drawing too! It's great. I want to get that painted on my van.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Feb 2014, 07:59

I always noticed the "GOOD GUYS" on the album cover, but never made the mental connection with the radio station meme (even though I have a faux-vintage "wmca good guy" t-shirt which I wear pretty frequently) - I always thought it just meant that the Stones were good guys! In the enlarged photo detail you can just about see the "WMPS" on the other sleeve (the first three letters, anyway) - obviously, they didn't want that to be too legible on the LP cover.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Feb 2014, 05:36

(from "How's that? ...Questions and answers about people in the news" in the Punch supplement of The Birmingham [Alabama] News, Friday, October 12, 1973:)

Q. I heard that the Lennon Sisters [singing group famous from their regular appearances on The Lawrence Welk Show] have become topless go-go dancers. Please say it isn't so - or is it? - Marguerita L.

A. We're glad to say it isn't so. But the pure and demure Lennon lassies have changed their "girl next door" image. Appearing at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, the one-time Welkinders performed a wildly refined "strip," in which they revealed gorgeous gams and a hint of cleavage formerly hidden by high collars.

[later in the same column...]

Q.Whatever happened to that wild rock group "The Animals"? And did its leader, Eric Burdon, ever marry again? - Nancy and Becky

A. Eric found marriage a Burdon after his first one flopped. But changed his mind when he met a sensuous dancer at the Whisky-A-Go-Go in Hollywood and married her about a year ago. "I love Rose very much," he said recently. "And with enough cash I want to buy a stripping club for her. I enjoy going to striptease clubs and seeing topless waitresses. Who doesn't?" The head trainer of "The Animals" gives his wife full credit for his dropping out of the drug scene and no longer lounging on a psychiatrist's couch. He hopes his new group, "War," will hit the same heights his old combo achieved.

_
Last edited by Charlie O. on 18 Jul 2018, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Feb 2014, 07:50

Charlie O. wrote:A Young Rascal prognosticates prog, punk, and post-punk:

Wow- that was pretty prophetic! I wonder if Felix knows next week's lottery numbers! :D

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Mar 2014, 01:49

More Hit Parader, more Felix Cavaliere, and a mystery for the ages (probably) - from "Granny's Gossip" in the May '67 issue:

Young Rascal Felix Cavaliere has been writing songs with Louis Reed, lead singer and guitarist with the Velvet Underground...

(This May issue of HP would have hit the stands in mid-March - possibly the same week that The Velvet Underground & Nico came out! Cavaliere and Reed had been classmates at Syracuse University, where I gather they had a passing acquaintance.)

_
Last edited by Charlie O. on 17 Dec 2019, 03:05, edited 2 times in total.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Mar 2014, 01:31

In the mid-late '60s, Peter Stampfel and his old lady Antonia (Holy Modal Rounders/Fugs) had a regular column in "folk music" magazine The Broadside (of Boston) (not to be confused with the similarly-named NYC folk music rag). Excerpts from the March 29, 1967 issue:

A while back we mentioned an amazing guitar player named Jimmy James, who was playing with a group called the Blue Flame. He never became too well known here, but now, under the name Jimi Hendrix, he's quite well known in England. His flashy guitar-playing style is really knocking them out over there, and he's had a record in the top 10. Another well-deserved success. Onward and upward.

[...]

Style note for talented girls - make your old man some mod-styled trousers or Tom Jones shirts out of upholstery fabrics. The patterns are great, and they'll last forever. Note - girl's pants are a lot easier to make than men's.

_
Last edited by Charlie O. on 18 Jul 2018, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 04 Mar 2014, 00:49

Again - this is amazing stuff. Don't stop!
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Mar 2014, 02:45

Thanks, PC. I won't!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Mar 2014, 19:46

In case you couldn't guess, I've been picking up a lot of vintage Hit Paraders lately...

Excerpts from an un-bylined piece on Pete Townshend in the October '67 issue (probably reprinted from an English rag):

"I remember when I was fourteen I got a bus pass for school without my age on it and I forged 'sixteen' on it so I could go into X films. The first one I saw was Cliff Richard in 'Serious Charge.'"

[...]

"Power-pop is what we play - what the Small Faces used to play, and the kind of pop the Beach Boys played in the days of 'Fun Fun Fun' which I preferred [to Pet Sounds and 'Good Vibrations', I assume he means - CO].

"There are too many groups involved in the same kind of scene as the Move where every word has to mean something. The Beach Boys are playing on this kind of ethereal level where the public are expected to come to them and be taught.

"I believe pop music should be like the TV - something you can turn on or off and shouldn't disturb the mind. Eventually these people are going to go too far and leave the rest of the world behind. It's very hard to like 'Strawberry Fields Forever' for simply what it is. Some artists are becoming musically unapproachable."

[...]

"To retain the attention of the public every pop star has to make the transition to films at some time. [...] It's the only way to last.

"We're still being considered for a TV series in New York but it's very difficult to see what else we can do as a group apart from slapstick. Obviously it must be humorous - maybe Roger could break a leg or something."

_
Last edited by Charlie O. on 18 Jul 2018, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Mar 2014, 20:01

Charlie O. wrote:Lead guitarist Jerry Garcia of The Grateful Dead is well-known to San Franciscans as "Captain Trips" because of the excursion boats he once piloted up the scenic Sacramento River.
    - FLIP's Groovy Guide To The Groops! (Signet, 1968)

Ahh! I always wondered why he was called that!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Yakety Yak”