53%
Led Zeppelin
47%

Total votes: 66

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: The Clash vs Led Zeppelin

Postby Count Machuki » 25 Sep 2013, 20:23

Goat Boy wrote:One of G's MANY blind spots.

fixed

;-)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Sep 2013, 20:37

'at' wrote:To say that something like that LZ debut sounds ordinary is completely beyond me.

A lot of it is pose with him, of course :)

He won't like that!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 25 Sep 2013, 21:52

I think G (as he is known around here) hears "classic rock" the way many of us hear "opera", i.e., it's all the same. And the first Zeppelin album does sound kind of ordinary since we've heard it and its descendants a million times now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Sep 2013, 00:15

The G Experience! wrote:I've never heard the greatness in Zep others do, their music always sounded very ordinary to my ears.

At last someone else said it as well!
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 26 Sep 2013, 01:37

this is a very silly question, and i demand a refund.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 26 Sep 2013, 01:45

I like the Led Zeppelin.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Nancy
Daft Sod

Postby Nancy » 26 Sep 2013, 03:05

A great band vs. my favorite band of all time by a pretty wide margin.

Much respect for the Clash, but Zep crushes everybody else.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Sep 2013, 04:18

Ask me in 1985 and I probably would've said the Clash on general principal.

I realize now that general principal fades a lot more quickly than sonic hugeness.

The Clash "stand for something," I guess, but these days I figure there's something to be said for just stomping on everything in your path. A much better argument closer, musically.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 26 Sep 2013, 05:53

It's not a "pose" I can assure you.
I've never found the sound of their records very attractive. I like them best when they're at their most sprightly and immediate, things like "Rock n'Roll" and "Trampled Under Foot", they're great. I like them least on something like "Dazed and Confused" which just sounds lumbering and ugly to me. Very often Plant's screeching puts me off.
And it's as straightforward as that really. The implication on here that they are some rite of passage that you have to go through displays BCB at its most narrow-minded, there are all sorts of journeys into music which by-pass classic rock completely.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 26 Sep 2013, 09:18

Of course I like the Clash, but Led Zeppelin give me the horn. Of plenty.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 26 Sep 2013, 10:38

I've always thought I should like The Clash more than I do. Back in the 90s I bought London Calling after it won 'Best Album Ever' in Q magazine or some such. I hated it but when I read about The Clash in music mags or online, particularly here, I feel as though I should like them. Perhaps its time for a reassessment - I think the album boxset is going for £25 in Fopp...anyway...

LZ win this hands down for me, and I'm not much a fan beyond the first four albums.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Sep 2013, 10:55

When i was first hearing about LZ and their greatness i was just expecting something amazing, mindblowing and outstanding musicanship (if that word even exists). I didn't find them excelling IMHO in any of these departments. Though as i said i put this down to a generational thing.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Sep 2013, 11:04

I think that's more a Markus thing dude.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Sep 2013, 11:15

Goat Boy wrote:I think that's more a Markus thing dude.

It really isn't. Outside of BCB there are people who aren't fans of LZ.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Sep 2013, 11:18

Dr Markus wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I think that's more a Markus thing dude.

It really isn't. Outside of BCB there are people who aren't fans of LZ.

Of course but they are also probably the second biggest band ever and they've clearly crossed generations.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 26 Sep 2013, 11:20

I think tracks like Communication Breakdown and, say, Ramble On are undeniably exciting and have felt that since I first heard them. I'm experiencing diminishing returns from the longer tracks though.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 26 Sep 2013, 12:25

Dr Markus wrote:When i was first hearing about LZ and their greatness i was just expecting something amazing, mindblowing and outstanding musicanship (if that word even exists). I didn't find them excelling IMHO in any of these departments. Though as i said i put this down to a generational thing.

Seeing as Daftie has me on ignore. Can someone ask him on what basis he can dismiss LZs musicianship, is he musical and what instruments can he play.

Ta
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 26 Sep 2013, 12:29

Jeemo wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:When i was first hearing about LZ and their greatness i was just expecting something amazing, mindblowing and outstanding musicanship (if that word even exists). I didn't find them excelling IMHO in any of these departments. Though as i said i put this down to a generational thing.

Seeing as Daftie has me on ignore. Can someone ask him on what basis he can dismiss LZs musicianship, is he musical and what instruments can he play.

Ta

I hereby nominate Hungry Joe.
Just a penitent man

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 26 Sep 2013, 12:31

funky_nomad wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Ta

:D
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 26 Sep 2013, 12:37

funky_nomad wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Ta

Led Zep can't play their instruments. It's just Bang Bang Bang and a lot of shouting.

Return to “Yakety Yak”