Do talk back
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Penk! » 19 Dec 2018, 14:00

driftin wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:
driftin wrote:Image

I've had that playing in my car recently. Annoys the piss out of me, quite frankly. Has its moments, but by christ it knows how to get on my nerves.

That's how I felt at first. I actually hated it but for some reason I kept playing one or two songs from it over and over and then one day I just thought it was great.I find it rhythmically interesting and creative but I do understand you need a high tolerance for repetition of annoying noises.

I think everything she's done is really good, but it takes a bit of getting used to.

She did a record this year, Autobiography, as the soundtrack to a ballet/modern dance work, which I really liked and which was more straightforwardly rhythmic and accessible... although that's perhaps not the adjective you guys are looking for given your tastes!

NP FWIW

fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Dec 2018, 14:34

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

driftin

Postby driftin » 19 Dec 2018, 16:38

PENK wrote:She did a record this year, Autobiography, as the soundtrack to a ballet/modern dance work, which I really liked and which was more straightforwardly rhythmic and accessible... although that's perhaps not the adjective you guys are looking for given your tastes!

I've listened to it. It's quite good but I prefer the other two albums. I don't mind a bit of straightforwardly rhythmic and accessible. I love plenty of mainstream house, big beat, techno. It's just if given the choice I'd go for something weirder, more experimental, more harder edged. Her other two albums certainly have that by the bucketload.

Funnily enough I was just done listening to RItchie Hawtin's Decks, EFX & 909 which still rules.

Moving onto this:

Manni Dee - The Residue

My seasonal techno obsession continues.

driftin

Postby driftin » 19 Dec 2018, 18:22

“Angry” is one of the worst songs ever made and everything else that doesn't have Flowdan or Warrior Queen on it is meh, even the Spaceape's appearance is surprisingly rubbish, but “Poison Dart”, “Skeng”, “Jah War”, and “Warning” are fucking ace.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 Dec 2018, 21:34

driftin wrote:“Angry” is one of the worst songs ever made and everything else that doesn't have Flowdan or Warrior Queen on it is meh, even the Spaceape's appearance is surprisingly rubbish, but “Poison Dart”, “Skeng”, “Jah War”, and “Warning” are fucking ace.

I could never get over how bad Angry is, the album just can't be taken seriously after that, it's literally The Macarena.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Dec 2018, 00:19

Hmm, pretty good.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 20 Dec 2018, 01:24

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 20 Dec 2018, 02:43

Been too long since I listened to this.

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 20 Dec 2018, 17:55

The King of the Thames Delta scene!

driftin

Postby driftin » 20 Dec 2018, 20:39

I've binged a bit on 2018 releases that appear on various top 10 lists. These were my highlights today:

тпсб - sekundenschlaf
A weird mixture of vaporwave, ambient, sound collage, and jungle. I like it.

Szun Waves - New Hymn to Freedom
Spacious jazz with ambient and electronic bits, very typical of The Leaf Label. I like this very much.

Obekt - Cocoon Crush
Some Warp Records-sounding IDM where sharp, bassy beats and clicks meld with strange synth noises and bleeps. Another one that I like very much.

Idris Ackamoor & the Pyramids - An Angel Fell
Some low key spiritual jazz with a dubby feel to its rhythm and bass. I quite like it.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Dec 2018, 02:34

"Schlemiel, Schlimazel, Hasenpfeffer Incorporated"
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 21 Dec 2018, 11:14

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 21 Dec 2018, 12:45

Another excellent album by Ry Cooder!

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 21 Dec 2018, 17:55

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Dec 2018, 20:40

Black Cilice - Banished from Time

Early Christmas present to myself. Easily the thing I've listened to youtube the most this year, and finally now actually playing on my record deck. One-man Portuguese black metal band, it's a swirl of purple noise, barely audible drums and echoing hollow vocal screams. Mmm.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

driftin

Postby driftin » 22 Dec 2018, 20:29

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Early Christmas present to myself. Easily the thing I've listened to youtube the most this year, and finally now actually playing on my record deck. One-man Portuguese black metal band, it's a swirl of purple noise, barely audible drums and echoing hollow vocal screams. Mmm.

I just had a listen and it's very nice indeed. It's in the same vein as Burzum, Xasthur, and Paysage d'Hive which is my kind of atmospheric noise.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Dec 2018, 20:29

I was in the local record shop this morning, and the owner was playing this when I walked in. He seemed actually disappointed to have to sell it. From 1989, somewhere between The Fall, Half Man Half Biscuit, and Sleaford Mods. Just two people, one guitar, a drum machine, and songs such as "Stuck in a Lift with Noel Edmunds".

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Dec 2018, 20:32

driftin wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

I just had a listen and it's very nice indeed. It's in the same vein as Burzum, Xasthur, and Paysage d'Hive which is my kind of atmospheric noise.

Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something which really lifts it way above most black metal albums. There seems to be real impact in the occasional chord changes, which seems an odd thing to say given the morass of noise and screaming. I think it's stunning.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 22 Dec 2018, 21:32

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Dec 2018, 21:05