NOW PLAYING.

Do talk back
User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5943
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Aug 2018, 20:23

joels344 wrote:Image

I picked this up on vinyl at a used record store today. It’s probably not the rarest album in the world, but it was an unexpected find and seems to be an original pressing.

Bloody good album to pick up, either way. I've not delved into my Pentangle albums for a while, I should fix that sometime soon.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 1033
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby joels344 » 03 Aug 2018, 20:49

Darkness_Fish wrote:
joels344 wrote:Image

I picked this up on vinyl at a used record store today. It’s probably not the rarest album in the world, but it was an unexpected find and seems to be an original pressing.

Bloody good album to pick up, either way. I've not delved into my Pentangle albums for a while, I should fix that sometime soon.


It had been sometime for me as well since I listened to this album. Certainly refreshing to hear again and I found it for only $8 in near perfect condition.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5943
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Aug 2018, 21:34

Image
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17102
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 04 Aug 2018, 01:47

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5943
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Aug 2018, 20:17

Image

How'd you do, and how'd you do, and how'd you do again.

Ok, some of this is a bit cheesy, even for me, but by God, Maddy Prior's vocals are just the purest thing...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5943
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Aug 2018, 20:59

Image
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17102
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 04 Aug 2018, 23:44

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17102
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 05 Aug 2018, 21:49

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17102
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 05 Aug 2018, 23:53

Image

Them Are Us Too - Remain

An ethereal/darkwave duo. A couple of weeks ago I saw the woman who seems to be the only essential member playing a solo set, singing backed by her own keyboards and a drum machine. She blew away the supposed headliners (Wax Idols), but also performed under the unpronounceable name SRSQ, which isn't that much of an improvement over the previous band name which I can only assume sounded incredibly clever in a drunken haze.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 793
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 06 Aug 2018, 15:38

pcqgod wrote:Image

Them Are Us Too - Remain

An ethereal/darkwave duo. A couple of weeks ago I saw the woman who seems to be the only essential member playing a solo set, singing backed by her own keyboards and a drum machine. She blew away the supposed headliners (Wax Idols), but also performed under the unpronounceable name SRSQ, which isn't that much of an improvement over the previous band name which I can only assume sounded incredibly clever in a drunken haze.

I quite like that as a modern take on what the Cocteau Twins were doing. Did you know Cash Askew, the guitarist, died in a horrible incident though? It's really sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Oakl ... house_fire

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 793
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 06 Aug 2018, 15:44

Image

Let's Eat Grandma - I'm All Ears

Ten years ago I would've hated this but for some reason I"ve become rather fond of this kind of saccharine, slightly obnoxious pop music that has an experimental electronic edge to it. This could even be the second side to Sophie's album which came out earlier this year which isn't surprising considering she produced two of these tracks. What an awful band name though.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17102
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 06 Aug 2018, 19:34

driftin wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Image

Them Are Us Too - Remain

An ethereal/darkwave duo. A couple of weeks ago I saw the woman who seems to be the only essential member playing a solo set, singing backed by her own keyboards and a drum machine. She blew away the supposed headliners (Wax Idols), but also performed under the unpronounceable name SRSQ, which isn't that much of an improvement over the previous band name which I can only assume sounded incredibly clever in a drunken haze.

I quite like that as a modern take on what the Cocteau Twins were doing. Did you know Cash Askew, the guitarist, died in a horrible incident though? It's really sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Oakl ... house_fire


God, no, hadn't heard about that. I mean, I remember news about that fire, of course. The singer, Kennedy, truly impressed me at that show I attended.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17102
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 07 Aug 2018, 02:09

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 793
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 07 Aug 2018, 08:25



It seems weird saying this about one of the most influential experimental artists of the last 30 years and also a personal favourite of mine but this sounds a bit safe. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some material he found on his computer that he made around the time he was putting together Syro. It's fine, but when it comes to Aphex Twin that's a disappointment.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 793
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 07 Aug 2018, 08:40

Image

I bet Yellow Swans were influenced by this. Melancholic atmospheres through dissonant noise.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 793
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 07 Aug 2018, 12:49



I dug out Comments of the Inner Chorus for the first time in years earlier on and that was utterly lovely to hear again. This on the other hand... what the fuck happened?

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42951
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby LeBaron » 07 Aug 2018, 15:01

NIGERIA 70

Think I’ll play through the handful of these Nigerian 70s compilations that live in my iPod.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 793
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 08 Aug 2018, 00:20

driftin wrote:It seems weird saying this about one of the most influential experimental artists of the last 30 years and also a personal favourite of mine but this sounds a bit safe. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some material he found on his computer that he made around the time he was putting together Syro. It's fine, but when it comes to Aphex Twin that's a disappointment.

I take that back. It suddenly clicked, I'm reminded of drukqs, and now I really love it. Weird how that happens sometimes.

Also the official video (the unofficial one above was taken down) is a proper mindfuck and a half.


User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17102
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 08 Aug 2018, 03:17

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5943
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Aug 2018, 09:28

driftin wrote:
driftin wrote:It seems weird saying this about one of the most influential experimental artists of the last 30 years and also a personal favourite of mine but this sounds a bit safe. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some material he found on his computer that he made around the time he was putting together Syro. It's fine, but when it comes to Aphex Twin that's a disappointment.

I take that back. It suddenly clicked, I'm reminded of drukqs, and now I really love it. Weird how that happens sometimes.

Also the official video (the unofficial one above was taken down) is a proper mindfuck and a half.


Funnily enough, I put BBC 6 Music on last night, and it was halfway through the Aphex track when I switched on. I thought it sounded pretty good, and wondered what was wrong with you.

Having said that, I liked Syro quite a lot, I think he's heading down really strange rhythmic paths with his more recent works, and I like that.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.