NOW PLAYING.

Do talk back
kewl klive
cultural defective

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby kewl klive » 04 Oct 2017, 17:27

Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 04 Oct 2017, 23:34

A long kept secret of lost classics, John Wonderling’s debut LP was ill fated from the start, despite boasting a deep bench of session players. Wonderling made his mark as the writer of “Midway Down,” a song made famous by The Creation. Though, The Creation don’t always find themselves in constant conversation these days either (see their much needed retrospective on Numero this year) they raised Wonderling’s profile at the time and he released a single version of “Midway Down” backed with “Man Of Straw”. What truly halted Wonderling’s momentum was taking the next five years to craft Day Breaks, an album of subtle beauty, but slightly faded psychedelic pop for its release in 1973.

The single was the last independent release on Loma Records, which was then absorbed into Warner Brothers. His album would wind up on Paramount. The shift to major label should have seemed like a blessing, but the label simply didn’t know what to do with Wonderling. He’d languish and most of the records printed would disappear, with as few as 10 copies being reportedly making their way to distribution. As such this has become a pricey collector’s property. The record shouldn’t have been as hard a sell as it’s often described. Though songs like “Man Of Straw” seem a bit past the mark, the rest of the album delves into the kind of wistful ballads that wound up making legends (albeit not always in their time) of artists from Nick Drake to Gene Clark.

Wonderling, too should be higher up the ranks of lost songwriters and it seems that this reissue from Flashback is aiming to make that so. Though only on CD for now, the new issue rounds up the entirety of Day Breaks along with the A and B-side versions of “Midway Down” and “Man Of Straw” with a couple of unreleased demos. This is an all too brief, but truly wonderful album finding a new life.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Oct 2017, 14:34

NOW!!! That's What I Call Instrumental Carnatic Music Vol. 1

https://open.spotify.com/user/122953106 ... GW6vw1hdCi

I thought I wouldn't miss the singers but I kinda do :?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Oct 2017, 14:35

neville from norwich wrote:

A long kept secret of lost classics, John Wonderling’s debut LP was ill fated from the start, despite boasting a deep bench of session players. Wonderling made his mark as the writer of “Midway Down,” a song made famous by The Creation. Though, The Creation don’t always find themselves in constant conversation these days either (see their much needed retrospective on Numero this year) they raised Wonderling’s profile at the time and he released a single version of “Midway Down” backed with “Man Of Straw”. What truly halted Wonderling’s momentum was taking the next five years to craft Day Breaks, an album of subtle beauty, but slightly faded psychedelic pop for its release in 1973.

The single was the last independent release on Loma Records, which was then absorbed into Warner Brothers. His album would wind up on Paramount. The shift to major label should have seemed like a blessing, but the label simply didn’t know what to do with Wonderling. He’d languish and most of the records printed would disappear, with as few as 10 copies being reportedly making their way to distribution. As such this has become a pricey collector’s property. The record shouldn’t have been as hard a sell as it’s often described. Though songs like “Man Of Straw” seem a bit past the mark, the rest of the album delves into the kind of wistful ballads that wound up making legends (albeit not always in their time) of artists from Nick Drake to Gene Clark.

Wonderling, too should be higher up the ranks of lost songwriters and it seems that this reissue from Flashback is aiming to make that so. Though only on CD for now, the new issue rounds up the entirety of Day Breaks along with the A and B-side versions of “Midway Down” and “Man Of Straw” with a couple of unreleased demos. This is an all too brief, but truly wonderful album finding a new life.

Yeah, I'm a Creation fan and I've never heard of him nor do I remember the song he wrote for them.
I'll look into this one.
Worth a damn?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Covers Cup Champion 2017

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 05 Oct 2017, 14:44

Yeah it’s lovely.

driftin

Postby driftin » 05 Oct 2017, 15:45

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2017, 12:08

Robert Plant live at Maida Vale Studios!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 06 Oct 2017, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Oct 2017, 12:41

One of the albums of the year. Let's not pretend this is part of some new electronic movement called PC music or wobbly or anything like that, it's early 00s ultra-fast squeaky and bleepy IDM but with modern techniques. This is Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Prefuse 73, Venetian Snares, Kid606, and all those Tigerbeat6 artists that were going mad in the early 00s all jammed into a high-speed blender. A proper sugar rush. Utterly lovely.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Oct 2017, 17:17

(It's really a CD anthology on Youtube, but I did actually seek out and buy the 10" and whichever singles I could find.)
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Oct 2017, 17:54

neville from norwich wrote:

Just listening to man of straw on spotify , groovy.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2017, 18:11

Besides the regrettable cover of Nirvana's "Lithium" this is quite beautiful.

Off to see them in London in January - it will be wonderful.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Oct 2017, 01:57

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Oct 2017, 02:41

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

driftin

Postby driftin » 07 Oct 2017, 06:54

After watching the magnificent Blade Runner 2049 I've been listening to the soundtrack pretty much on a loop. I've decided to take a break from it. Sort of. Actually this is basically more of the same, isn't it? Yep.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 07 Oct 2017, 15:08

Covers Cup Champion 2017

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Oct 2017, 20:13

Well, CD4 from this comp anyway. Picked at random, and the first track is nicely langorous, which suits my mood fine. As would a little feedback.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Oct 2017, 00:35

Doing my best to study in advance of a heavy exam in another week. Saturday Nite!

ENO/LANOIS Apollo

ENO Music For Films

ENO Thursday Afternoon
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Oct 2017, 03:13

ENO Airports
I've always found this to be more sinister than relaxing.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Oct 2017, 03:39

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Well, CD4 from this comp anyway. Picked at random, and the first track is nicely langorous, which suits my mood fine. As would a little feedback.

Yeah, I'm playing that too. I heard something by them on Arthur Crud's podcast and it was great!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Oct 2017, 15:30

Back to the books

ENO Discreet Music
My favorite of these, I think. Apart from No Pussyfooting, of course.