NOW PLAYING.

Do talk back
User avatar
joels344
Posts: 488
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby joels344 » 12 May 2017, 01:03

Image


A level below The Drift, but still brilliantly produced and full of that post-fame Scott Walker cryptic weirdness that I enjoy so much. Giving this one a 4/5.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2981
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 May 2017, 09:19

joels344 wrote:Image


A level below The Drift, but still brilliantly produced and full of that post-fame Scott Walker cryptic weirdness that I enjoy so much. Giving this one a 4/5.

Probably the album I listen to of 'weird' Scott. It feels such an effort to sit through.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2981
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 May 2017, 10:06

Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 27935
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 May 2017, 14:57

Sibylle Baier - Colour Green
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 488
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby joels344 » 12 May 2017, 22:56

Image

Damn fantastic album. Kinda reminds me of the Trout Mask Replica of the post-punk genre.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15144
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 13 May 2017, 01:55

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15144
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 13 May 2017, 02:52

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 488
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby joels344 » 13 May 2017, 14:49

Utterly blown away by this album. I would have no issue putting this on my favorites list.

Image

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2981
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 May 2017, 20:38

Demos Yellow Swans - Live at the Police State Capitol/ Live in the Redwoods
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2981
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 May 2017, 20:41

joels344 wrote:Utterly blown away by this album. I would have no issue putting this on my favorites list.

Image

That's an absolute classic, TMLHBAC were such a unique band, and that's probably their finest moment, as far as I'm aware. Even I don't have that much by them on CD though. I think it's track 17 on that which is really stupendous, the medieval folky thing that starts off with "The courtesans, the most important there...".
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2981
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 May 2017, 20:49

Image

What was once the Virgin Prunes, cut down to just Mary and Strongman (with a guest appearance by Dave-Id), doing a kind of dream-pop thing that bears little relation to their goth/performance art stuff. Really quite nice though.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 488
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby joels344 » 13 May 2017, 21:34

Darkness_Fish wrote:
joels344 wrote:Utterly blown away by this album. I would have no issue putting this on my favorites list.

Image

That's an absolute classic, TMLHBAC were such a unique band, and that's probably their finest moment, as far as I'm aware. Even I don't have that much by them on CD though. I think it's track 17 on that which is really stupendous, the medieval folky thing that starts off with "The courtesans, the most important there...".


Yeah, it was an instant love for me, which is a sign of positive things to come for this album. It'll mean more with each listen and there's plenty of interesting medieval folk elements on here for multiple replay values. Really loved tracks 4, 7, 10, 11, and 17 the most.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15144
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 14 May 2017, 00:31

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 488
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby joels344 » 14 May 2017, 16:52

This album was somewhat of a journey, but an absolute brilliant ambient release.

Image

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 364
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 14 May 2017, 16:55

joels344 wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:
joels344 wrote:Utterly blown away by this album. I would have no issue putting this on my favorites list.

Image

That's an absolute classic, TMLHBAC were such a unique band, and that's probably their finest moment, as far as I'm aware. Even I don't have that much by them on CD though. I think it's track 17 on that which is really stupendous, the medieval folky thing that starts off with "The courtesans, the most important there...".


Yeah, it was an instant love for me, which is a sign of positive things to come for this album. It'll mean more with each listen and there's plenty of interesting medieval folk elements on here for multiple replay values. Really loved tracks 4, 7, 10, 11, and 17 the most.

I remember when Fish sent this to me on CD-R as part of an exchange back in 2007ish. Three songs in and I was absolutely blown away. I'd never heard any folk music like it and ten years on that statement still stands. I've since bought the majority of their material on proper CDs now, including this one, which remains my absolute favourite. I may not agree with their somewhat dodgy politics and ideals but damn, they sure come close to convincing me through their music.

My highlights:
Track 2 ("the holy whore of Babel has lingered much too long")
Track 8 ("hey ho my lady, come and join our circle")
Track 13 ("whoever to save his soul is fain")
Track 18 ("the courtesan's the most important gear")

If you can find Alzbeth's book of lyrics online somewhere in a pdf file (I managed this years ago but don't have it anymore) it's worth a read. It's an intense notebook full of Shakespeare, medieval passages, stories about King Richard, documents about peasant life in the 13th century, Anglo-Saxon poems, and of course all of their lyrics in hard to read medieval typefaces.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 364
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 14 May 2017, 16:59

pcqgod wrote:Image

I quite like that soundtrack. Nice and woozy. It's better than Air's other stuff which kind of bores me.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 364
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 14 May 2017, 17:15

Image

Not Ultramagnetic MC's, U.M.C's. These guys were never as big as Kool Keith and co, or Tribe, but they nail that bright, positive sounding east coast late 80s / early 90s hip-hop sound. Lovely stuff.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 2981
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 May 2017, 20:10

Image
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15144
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 14 May 2017, 20:13

driftin wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Image

I quite like that soundtrack. Nice and woozy. It's better than Air's other stuff which kind of bores me.


Actually, this is the "songtrack" with a bunch of 70's classic rock heard in the movie (although the vibraphone version of "Playground Love" is also on it).
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15144
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 14 May 2017, 20:14

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?


Return to “Yakety Yak”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests