NOW PLAYING.

Do talk back
driftin

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 06 Aug 2018, 15:44

Let's Eat Grandma - I'm All Ears

Ten years ago I would've hated this but for some reason I"ve become rather fond of this kind of saccharine, slightly obnoxious pop music that has an experimental electronic edge to it. This could even be the second side to Sophie's album which came out earlier this year which isn't surprising considering she produced two of these tracks. What an awful band name though.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Aug 2018, 19:34

driftin wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Image

Them Are Us Too - Remain

An ethereal/darkwave duo. A couple of weeks ago I saw the woman who seems to be the only essential member playing a solo set, singing backed by her own keyboards and a drum machine. She blew away the supposed headliners (Wax Idols), but also performed under the unpronounceable name SRSQ, which isn't that much of an improvement over the previous band name which I can only assume sounded incredibly clever in a drunken haze.

I quite like that as a modern take on what the Cocteau Twins were doing. Did you know Cash Askew, the guitarist, died in a horrible incident though? It's really sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Oakl ... house_fire

God, no, hadn't heard about that. I mean, I remember news about that fire, of course. The singer, Kennedy, truly impressed me at that show I attended.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Aug 2018, 02:09

driftin

Postby driftin » 07 Aug 2018, 08:25

It seems weird saying this about one of the most influential experimental artists of the last 30 years and also a personal favourite of mine but this sounds a bit safe. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some material he found on his computer that he made around the time he was putting together Syro. It's fine, but when it comes to Aphex Twin that's a disappointment.

driftin

Postby driftin » 07 Aug 2018, 08:40

I bet Yellow Swans were influenced by this. Melancholic atmospheres through dissonant noise.

driftin

Postby driftin » 07 Aug 2018, 12:49

I dug out Comments of the Inner Chorus for the first time in years earlier on and that was utterly lovely to hear again. This on the other hand... what the fuck happened?

Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Stille Baron » 07 Aug 2018, 15:01

NIGERIA 70

Think I’ll play through the handful of these Nigerian 70s compilations that live in my iPod.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Aug 2018, 00:20

driftin wrote:It seems weird saying this about one of the most influential experimental artists of the last 30 years and also a personal favourite of mine but this sounds a bit safe. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some material he found on his computer that he made around the time he was putting together Syro. It's fine, but when it comes to Aphex Twin that's a disappointment.

I take that back. It suddenly clicked, I'm reminded of drukqs, and now I really love it. Weird how that happens sometimes.

Also the official video (the unofficial one above was taken down) is a proper mindfuck and a half.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Aug 2018, 03:17

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Aug 2018, 09:28

driftin wrote:
driftin wrote:It seems weird saying this about one of the most influential experimental artists of the last 30 years and also a personal favourite of mine but this sounds a bit safe. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some material he found on his computer that he made around the time he was putting together Syro. It's fine, but when it comes to Aphex Twin that's a disappointment.

I take that back. It suddenly clicked, I'm reminded of drukqs, and now I really love it. Weird how that happens sometimes.

Also the official video (the unofficial one above was taken down) is a proper mindfuck and a half.

Funnily enough, I put BBC 6 Music on last night, and it was halfway through the Aphex track when I switched on. I thought it sounded pretty good, and wondered what was wrong with you.

Having said that, I liked Syro quite a lot, I think he's heading down really strange rhythmic paths with his more recent works, and I like that.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Aug 2018, 10:34

Darkness_Fish wrote:Having said that, I liked Syro quite a lot, I think he's heading down really strange rhythmic paths with his more recent works, and I like that.

I should give Syro another go. I got a bit bored of that acid techno stuff he was releasing as AFX in the latter part of the 2000s and Syro just sounded like more of that.

That was also my initial impression of this new track but on the second listen I heard fewer Roland arpeggios and more of the drukqs-era clicky drill 'n' bass which I love. On the second half of the track there's even loads of soft pads and distant vocals making melodies that remind me of RDJ and Come to Daddy. Marvellous.

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Aug 2018, 10:41

Speaking of clicky and colourful IDM.

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Aug 2018, 11:04

ImageImage
Iglooghost - Clear Tamei / Steel Magu

Dunno why these two EPs weren't just combined into one album considering they were released at the exact same time and their combined length is enough but they're both great.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Aug 2018, 12:35

The only thing I've ever heard from the Stones that even comes close to justifying the ridiculous "greatest rock'n'roll band in the world" tag.

Brussels Affair live in 73

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 09 Aug 2018, 17:28

Who do you love?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Aug 2018, 21:12

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 10 Aug 2018, 01:58

New Gwenno.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 10 Aug 2018, 02:58

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 10 Aug 2018, 03:38

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 11 Aug 2018, 22:23