NOW PLAYING.

Do talk back
Darkness_Fish

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Apr 2018, 09:48

Not exactly the cheeriest stuff, but you can't argue with the honesty of this second collection of songs written in the immediate aftermath of his wife's death.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 25 Apr 2018, 10:13

His version of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is devastating.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Apr 2018, 10:16

Every version of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is devastating.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Apr 2018, 15:50

POLYGON WINDOW Surfing On Sine Waves

Been a long time!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Apr 2018, 15:57

Peter Tosh - Honorary Citizen

Disc 1
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

joels344

Postby joels344 » 25 Apr 2018, 19:29

Darkness_Fish wrote:

Not exactly the cheeriest stuff, but you can't argue with the honesty of this second collection of songs written in the immediate aftermath of his wife's death.

That’s so far the best I’ve heard from Mount Eerie. I’ve liked other albums, but this is Phil Elverum at his most honest and emotional.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Apr 2018, 20:43

joels344 wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:

That’s so far the best I’ve heard from Mount Eerie. I’ve liked other albums, but this is Phil Elverum at his most honest and emotional.

The only thing I've ever liked from them before was Eleven Old Songs, which Phil describes as a half-jokey release, but there's something about the cheapness of the synth sound and Phil's conversational style that appeals. However, I went straight from Now Only, to A Crow Looked at me, and that was even more emotionally devastating. I mean, perhaps I'm particularly susceptible to this kind of thing since my dad passed away a couple of months ago, but this...

"And I bring you up repeatedly, uninvited to
Do the people around me want to keep hearing about my dead wife?
Or does the room go silent when I mention you?
Shining alive, I live with your absence
And it's been two months since you died
I'll speak to your absence and carry our stories around my whole life
But when I'm in public, I don't know what's that look in their eyes
I now wield the power to transform a grocery store aisle into a canyon of pity and confusion
And mutual aching to leave"

Mundane, detailed, properly raw. And then this...

"A week after you died a package with your name on it came and inside was a gift for our daughter you had ordered in secret and I collapsed there on the front steps.
I wailed"

I was in bits. Still am.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 26 Apr 2018, 09:11

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 26 Apr 2018, 09:26

Magnifique.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 Apr 2018, 10:28

Always the best titles.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 26 Apr 2018, 16:44

This is still one of the greatest post-punk albums I’ve ever heard. Best listened to at night on a long drive. I love the rhythmic energy, tribal drumming, flawless vocals, and the guitar playing here is probably unmatched within the genre (bold statement, I know).

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Apr 2018, 20:37

Back to me roots.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Apr 2018, 20:38

joels344 wrote:This is still one of the greatest post-punk albums I’ve ever heard. Best listened to at night on a long drive. I love the rhythmic energy, tribal drumming, flawless vocals, and the guitar playing here is probably unmatched within the genre (bold statement, I know).

It's ok, but I doubt it'd make my top 100 post-punk albums. And give me Daniel Ash's guitar playing, any day.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 27 Apr 2018, 02:45

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

joels344

Postby joels344 » 27 Apr 2018, 03:47

Darkness_Fish wrote:
joels344 wrote:This is still one of the greatest post-punk albums I’ve ever heard. Best listened to at night on a long drive. I love the rhythmic energy, tribal drumming, flawless vocals, and the guitar playing here is probably unmatched within the genre (bold statement, I know).

It's ok, but I doubt it'd make my top 100 post-punk albums. And give me Daniel Ash's guitar playing, any day.

Now, I didn’t say the album as a whole was better than In the Flat Field, but I’d still place it in my top 10 of the genre.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Apr 2018, 10:26

joels344

Postby joels344 » 27 Apr 2018, 14:58

This is a brilliant Swans album. It’s not on the level of The Great Annihilator or White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, but it’s an earlier Swans that deserves more attention and has in fact greatly grown on me over the years.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Apr 2018, 15:08

joels344 wrote:This is a brilliant Swans album. It’s not on the level of The Great Annihilator or White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, but it’s an earlier Swans that deserves more attention and has in fact greatly grown on me over the years.

I think for a while, before modernity came and turned Swans into a loud prog band, Children of God was generally regarded as their magnum opus. I prefer both albums you mentioned, but it's not that far behind. "Blackmail" alone is a contender for best track they ever recorded.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Apr 2018, 18:25

CODEINE Frigid Stars

Oh, how we laughed!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

driftin

Postby driftin » 28 Apr 2018, 19:34

80 minutes of murky industrial drones suddenly shifting into raw and aggressive instrumental jungle. My new favourite thing.

Return to “Yakety Yak”