Record Store Day Black Friday 2019 - November 29

Do talk back
der nister

Re: Record Store Day 2013 - April 20

Postby der nister » 22 Apr 2013, 15:47

nathan wrote:
Andrew Lou Goldman wrote:3 of the Orange Juice reissues.

Not to be a poo poo but this is my problem with Record Store Day. I have been wanting to buy some Orange Juice albums for years. They have been long out of print here or available as import only. All that they have in print right now is a way overpriced and hard to find boxed set, but I have heard that even that is now out of print.

So when I saw they were having vinyl reissues of the albums proper, I almost went. And then it snowed a half a foot and I didn't feel like standing in that. Now I may not get to own these albums still. Was there once a glut of Orange Juice albums flooding the market that they now feel there is no need for them anymore? Why not just put the fuckers back in print and not just for one day? I have never wanted record collecting to be a fetish. I just want to listen to the goddamn music. This whole day seems to celebrate the fetishism and it makes me sad.

nathan,
unfortunately, the actual vinyl albums will probably be hard but not impossible to find
but the box set is still a value at $60= 6 cds, 1dvd
http://www.amazon.com/Coals-Newcastle-6 ... ange+juice
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 22 Apr 2013, 16:04

zphage wrote:but the box set is still a value at $60= 6 cds, 1dvd
http://www.amazon.com/Coals-Newcastle-6 ... ange+juice

Yeah, at Amazon's price but they haven't had it in stock in quite a while and that's usually a good sign that it is out of print. And the third party prices start at $124. :(

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 Apr 2013, 16:07

nathan wrote:

Not to be a poo poo but this is my problem with Record Store Day. I have been wanting to buy some Orange Juice albums for years. They have been long out of print here or available as import only. All that they have in print right now is a way overpriced and hard to find boxed set, but I have heard that even that is now out of print.

So when I saw they were having vinyl reissues of the albums proper, I almost went. And then it snowed a half a foot and I didn't feel like standing in that. Now I may not get to own these albums still. Was there once a glut of Orange Juice albums flooding the market that they now feel there is no need for them anymore? Why not just put the fuckers back in print and not just for one day? I have never wanted record collecting to be a fetish. I just want to listen to the goddamn music. This whole day seems to celebrate the fetishism and it makes me sad.

Honestly - it's deeply flawed. I understand the initial "keep record stores open" impetus - and, in theory if not practice, fully support it.

However - people are buying records now, and the whole RSD paradigm has to change and adapt to more contemporary realities. This Big Star title we're talking about, the Orange Juice titles nathan mentions above. There is absolutely no fucking doubt that the demand far outstrips the supply. If it's so crucial to get people into record stores during the remaining 364 days of the year, it probably makes sense to start manufacturing these titles in more realistic numbers.

der nister

Postby der nister » 22 Apr 2013, 16:08

I would put my order in with Amazon, and let them cancel it
it'll take some time
and they ask you periodically if you still want it
but generally they come thru

here's the count for the reissued vinyl:
Orange Juice - The Orange Juice Domino 12" LP 400
Orange Juice - Rip It Up Domino 12" LP 750
Orange Juice - Texas Fever Domino 12" LP 400
Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever Domino 12" LP 750
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 Apr 2013, 16:15

Nolamike wrote:So what was the Big Star release all about? I've been trying to avoid buying things I already own, and between the Boxed Set, the RSD vinyl edition of Third, and the complete run of the standard catalogue, is there anything on this release that I need?

It's a double album soundtrack to the film I saw the night before. I mean - talk about timing. I would consider it, in terms of content, a 5th disc addition to the Keep An Eye On The Sky box. A ton of original rough and alternate mixes, a couple demos, and a handful of contemporary remixes done for the film (all quite lovely sounding. One's own level of personal obsession with this band and music is probably the yay or nay tipping point, re: purchase/ownership. I actually don't have the original three titles on vinyl, so my desire for this may supercede that of someone who does (I bought two copies of the Radio City reissue - both jumped within the first two bars of music...there's a reason I tend to go OG as often as possible).

I'm fairly sorry I didn't bother acquiring the Third/Sister Lovers LP you managed to get a couple years ago. Who's to say I would have scored, but...I remember drooling over it the first time my family visited you (at your old place).

nathan

Postby nathan » 22 Apr 2013, 16:24

The Homosexual Lobby wrote:However - people are buying records now, and the whole RSD paradigm has to change and adapt to more contemporary realities. This Big Star title we're talking about, the Orange Juice titles nathan mentions above. There is absolutely no fucking doubt that the demand far outstrips the supply. If it's so crucial to get people into record stores during the remaining 364 days of the year, it probably makes sense to start manufacturing these titles in more realistic numbers.

My big argument is that they could keep these titles in print year round but only make them available to brick and mortar stores. This has been happening in the DVD business for a few years now. Many studios now offer a Manufacture On Demand service where you can get rare films direct from the studios. These are sometimes sold on Amazon and other online stores but usually at a much higher price than buying from the studio store direct.

These vinyl boutique labels could really start a new boom in music retailing but they keep limiting themselves to one day a year instead of a more aggressive model. They are catering only to the fetish people. I have multiple friends and relatives that all bought nice turntables in the past couple years and just would like to easily buy records for it but in no way want to hunt them down. Like you said, John, it's quickly becoming outdated.

There actually is a growing casual vinyl buying public. It sounds crazy but it's happening. I'm constantly amazed at what you can buy on vinyl now. Everything from Mumford & Sons to Adele to Katy Perry.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I recently went to my local record store (which has been around for 30 years) and they didn't have any copies in stock of 3 recent releases. If record stores truly need help staying in business, having better stock certainly couldn't hurt. Instead of leaving empty handed that day, it would have been nice to browse through retail exclusives to see if there was anything that I might want. But no, just one day a year does that happen. It doesn't make any sense.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 Apr 2013, 16:32

I'm optimistic. I think both retailers and manufacturers will be quick enough to figure out just how many long term benefits they are missing out on.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 22 Apr 2013, 16:46

I'm not sure I see the problem - ultimately most things that are out of print are out of print for a reason - very little demand or legal/label issues. RSD does not interfere negatively on that dynamic at all - in fact it provides the opportunity to make some things available that would otherwise not be available anyway - and indeed "test the water" of what generates the most interest. The limited prints are of course partly to build up excitement, but also because they very often can't afford to make a big splash and then not sell all the copies. Ultimately, in the day of youtube/spotify/itunes/amazon it's 1,000 times easier to track down at least some available recording of an album. But some people will still want nicer copies of those albums, and RSD fits perfectly into that niche.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 22 Apr 2013, 16:52

Nathan wrote:

My big argument is that they could keep these titles in print year round but only make them available to brick and mortar stores.

What they ought to do is take a best of both worlds approach. Release the records on limited edition numbered colored copies and all that jazz for RSD followed by a regular black vinyl unnumbered issue.
Covers the collector nuts who demand something special and those who just want to hear the music.
Bunch of labels selling vinyl online already do this in their day-to-day business model.
Several albums I recently bought on the Slumberland Records website were on colored vinyl as was the new She & Him album. They just do the first 1,000 or whatever number they choose colored, numbered, bonus 45, free can of soup whatever then once they're sold you can only get the regular edition.

Probably some of the RSD releases would have to stay that day only limited etc. simply because there's not enough demand to justify a regular release run. But surely some of the more popular releases, the Big Stars, Grateful Deads, etc.
My stores didn't have a copy of the Big Star white box thing a few years ago, or the release this year. Wouldn't mind a having both but not at $90 on eBay.
Sweet potato ya got it, apple ya ain't.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 22 Apr 2013, 16:57

nathan wrote:

hey, Nathan - as of late yesterday my local still had some of those Orange Juice reissues in. If they're still there, you want I should pick 'em up for you?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 22 Apr 2013, 17:02

meetthesonics wrote:They just do the first 1,000 or whatever number they choose colored, numbered, bonus 45, free can of soup whatever then once they're sold you can only get the regular edition.

Probably some of the RSD releases would have to stay that day only limited etc. simply because there's not enough demand to justify a regular release run. But surely some of the more popular releases, the Big Stars, Grateful Deads, etc.

But I think some of this already happens? ie. they run a second/regular release of popular/sold out stuff. I'm pretty sure, for example, that this is not the first special edition Psychocandy that's been released?

And I still think it's quite hard to estimate some of this - the leftovers at my record store were actually a fair amount of stuff you might expect to sell out - Shuggie Otis, Aerosmith, Bowie, Beta Band. I always see a limited edition Leonard Cohen in there that is left over from last year - again something you'd think might sell out straight away. I understand people get disappointed when they can't get what they want from RSD - I had a list of about 20 things and not one of them was even in my store - but ultimately if it wasn't for RSD, it's very unlikely they would print that release anyway.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 Apr 2013, 17:11

meetthesonics wrote:My stores didn't have a copy of the Big Star white box thing a few years ago, or the release this year. Wouldn't mind a having both but not at $90 on eBay.

Oh, seriously - I see these listings (50 at present for Saturday's Big Star title, for example), and - in the main - hope these assholes have to eat them.

You know - I put out a record roughly a decade ago. Put a out a few others several years prior to that. Didn't sell them all. Sold a decent number. Them's the breaks. Putting out one later this year - who knows how many we'll sell. Probably not a great investment. BUT - people who want it? They can buy it whenever they please.

I don't think Elektra made a mint on putting out Tim Buckley LPs - I'm sure some of them sat on shelves for years. Didn't stop them from releasing...what, half a dozen more titles by him? People weren't such chickenshits back then, maybe?

I hear stories about people acting like absolute fucking animals on RSD (and nearly every clerk I know dreads the annual melee). And for what? So half of them can find a bunch of shit to flip on eBay? Meanwhile, some kid who goes to shops several times a week year round has to camp out, hire a sitter, whatever...and for what? So that he can TAKE A FAIRLY SLIM CHANCE on getting some cool record by his favorite band?

Yeah - some see the system as flawed. Some don't. I'm probably not dying to argue my own opinion at any especially great length.

nathan

Postby nathan » 22 Apr 2013, 17:15

meetthesonics wrote:What they ought to do is take a best of both worlds approach. Release the records on limited edition numbered colored copies and all that jazz for RSD followed by a regular black vinyl unnumbered issue.
Covers the collector nuts who demand something special and those who just want to hear the music.
Bunch of labels selling vinyl online already do this in their day-to-day business model.
Several albums I recently bought on the Slumberland Records website were on colored vinyl as was the new She & Him album. They just do the first 1,000 or whatever number they choose colored, numbered, bonus 45, free can of soup whatever then once they're sold you can only get the regular edition.

Personally, I can't stand colored vinyl so that sounds great to me!
Count Machuki wrote:hey, Nathan - as of late yesterday my local still had some of those Orange Juice reissues in. If they're still there, you want I should pick 'em up for you?

If they have Rip It Up under $25, sure! That would be much appreciated.

Another part of my problem (or maybe it's totally sane) is that I refuse to pay more than $25 for a single album vinyl release.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 Apr 2013, 17:18

nathan wrote:
Another part of my problem (or maybe it's totally sane) is that I refuse to pay more than $25 for a single album vinyl release.

For real.

I know original 1975-76 Aerosmith albums are...well, they aren't remotely difficult to find in VERY good condition for $5-6. The incentive to pay whatever the label is charging for the reissue (I shudder to think) is not massive.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 22 Apr 2013, 19:54

nathan wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:hey, Nathan - as of late yesterday my local still had some of those Orange Juice reissues in. If they're still there, you want I should pick 'em up for you?

If they have Rip It Up under $25, sure! That would be much appreciated.

Looks like we're in luck! It just hinges on me getting over there tomorrow morning.

I know what y'all mean about prices, especially as a dedicated dollar bin man. That $25 for the Small Faces hurt like hell, but I don't regret it, really.

On a related note, I saw a "Early US Decca" print of The Who Sell Out for $18 yesterday. The record looked to be in good shape, but the sleeve is really pretty beat up. Is $18 too much to pay for that, you think?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Apr 2013, 20:02

On a related note, I saw a "Early US Decca" print of The Who Sell Out for $18 yesterday. The record looked to be in good shape, but the sleeve is really pretty beat up. Is $18 too much to pay for that, you think?

Nice looking ones go for $30-50 AFAIK so, no, not too much to pay. Those sixties Decca pressings tend to be great sounding, really thick, heavy vinyl.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 22 Apr 2013, 20:10

bobzilla77 wrote:

Nice looking ones go for $30-50 AFAIK so, no, not too much to pay. Those sixties Decca pressings tend to be great sounding, really thick, heavy vinyl.

Shit, I knew I should have bitten when I had the chance...the shop's wicked inconvenient for me to get to, as well.
Thanks, though, bobzilla.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 Apr 2013, 20:13

Count Machuki wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:

Shit, I knew I should have bitten when I had the chance...the shop's wicked inconvenient for me to get to, as well.
Thanks, though, bobzilla.

Yeah, in the year of our lord 2013, $18 is about as good as you'll do on a good copy of that.

Bought my first US Stereo orig for $2 in 1989. Bought my US Mono for $4 in 1995.

Moral? Don't EVER sell your shit if massive inflation bothers you.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 22 Apr 2013, 21:48

What a time to be getting into vinyl! I feel like I'm trying to buy a house in 2007. Without the subprime mortgage to help me out.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 22 Apr 2013, 22:19

Managed to pick up the 2 x SF 7s and the Wire LP on Discogs for a little less than the shop here had them :D

Return to “Yakety Yak”