Record Store Day Black Friday 2019 - November 29

Do talk back
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Record Store Day Black Friday 2019 - November 29

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Apr 2013, 04:53

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Anybody at all intrigued by any of the specials this year? I'd like that Art Blakey and the Tame Impala record, at first glance. I'd buy the El Michels one if I saw it. Some of those side-by-side split 7"s look pretty damn cool, too. Also really like the looks of those new Rough Guides, but if I start buying those on wax I'll go broke.

Truth is, I feel kinda silly going to the shops on that day. Record Store Day is still every week or so for me. It's an issue. :oops:
Last edited by Count Machuki on 08 Oct 2019, 18:10, edited 11 times in total.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: Record Store Day 2013 - April 20

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 05 Apr 2013, 04:58

Yeah, to hell with that mess.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

blindlemonjefferson

Postby blindlemonjefferson » 05 Apr 2013, 06:02

Built to Spill Live for me. I've been waiting to find that on vinyl for years.

And Ready to Die.
dimitri wrote:but you just have to expect that i will get you back in the near future when you least expect it

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 05 Apr 2013, 07:53

I think if "they" started throwing random first pressings of 60s mono classics in the racks, they could really make this record store day thing work.

"Yep, we've distributed 200 VG+/NM- copies of Led Zeppelin III as manufactured at 1841 W. Broadway amongst your favorite used record shops, along with 50 barely played original Columbia UK mono Piper At The Gates Of Dawn LPs."

The consumer market for wax is changing. People want shit that sounds good.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 05 Apr 2013, 09:22

Most desirable item:

the 7" 'Wigwam' from Bob Dylan.

I think I will line up at my retailer's at 10 PM on April 19. Sleeping bag, thermos with black coffee, the lot.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 05 Apr 2013, 17:28

I actually have a release this year! There's a Mike Watt & Black Gang single with live recordings of us doing Rebel Giirl and 30 Days In The Hole.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Apr 2013, 18:22

Cool, bobzilla!

The Homosexual Lobby wrote:I think if "they" started throwing random first pressings of 60s mono classics in the racks, they could really make this record store day thing work.

No info on mono v. stereo (and sure, it's a reissue) but I'd like to own this:

Small Faces
There Are But Four Small Faces

DETAILS
Format: 12" Vinyl
Label: Varese Sarabande
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release
More Info:

Vinyl reissue of Small Faces record that has been out of print for years
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 05 Apr 2013, 19:54

Anyone familar with this Beefheart thing? Same Peel recordings as on the Revenant box?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 06 Apr 2013, 01:33

A manufactured event of overpriced reissues, but, I dig it a lot. Hanging out in line with fellow music nuts is something I've enjoyed these last couple of years. Doc's serves up free BBQ and beer, crappy live local bands and discounts all, regular stock, 20 percent. What's not to love?

Hoping to bag:

Charlie Poole with the Highlanders
Cotilllon Records soul 45s set
Grateful Dead Rare Cuts
Miles Davis One Day My Prince Will Come
Sly & the Family Stone
There Are But Four Small Faces
The Wire thing, not really sure what it is.
and a couple of other things I might consider if they're around.
Sweet potato ya got it, apple ya ain't.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Apr 2013, 16:03

Curiosity is piqued by quite a few of these releases.

I'm more and more impressed with the peeps at Omnivore Recordings (and not just for their TVZ stuff). Seems like they've taken the spirit of Rhino Handmade (where most of their staff came from) and doing some cool stuff.

http://omnivorerecordings.com/2013/03/i ... ear-again/
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 11 Apr 2013, 16:21

What's frustrating about this whole thing is that most of these releases are only available for that one day. Why don't these labels keep these special releases in print but just not make them available to online retailers and distributors? It would then ensure foot traffic to retail stores all year long.

The one-day thing feeds into this fetishism that is very similar to the whole Black Friday thing every November. I don't partake in that for similar reasons.

I went to my local record store last week and was looking for 3 recent releases. They had none in stock. I went to my phone and quickly ordered all three. It made me sad.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 11 Apr 2013, 16:26

meetthesonics wrote:A manufactured event of overpriced reissues, but, I dig it a lot. Hanging out in line with fellow music nuts is something I've enjoyed these last couple of years. Doc's serves up free BBQ and beer, crappy live local bands and discounts all, regular stock, 20 percent. What's not to love?

That sounds kind of nice. I think every year it's been cold and rainy here for record store day. Standing in line in the rain for an hour or two usually makes me question my need for rare pressings of music I probably already own.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 11 Apr 2013, 17:18

nathan wrote:What's frustrating about this whole thing is that most of these releases are only available for that one day. Why don't these labels keep these special releases in print but just not make them available to online retailers and distributors? It would then ensure foot traffic to retail stores all year long.

The one-day thing feeds into this fetishism that is very similar to the whole Black Friday thing every November. I don't partake in that for similar reasons.

I went to my local record store last week and was looking for 3 recent releases. They had none in stock. I went to my phone and quickly ordered all three. It made me sad.

I have a record store out by me (Aurora, IL) that does the RSD, and then a lot of the less popular titles do sit in the shop past that first day. Only, they are at premium prices (which never go down despite the thousands of passes each day). I really don't get it. Price everything to move. I bought a "highly collectable" Fleetwood Mac Rumours three years ago, and now it's been repressed at half the price. Know what? I'm fine with that. But don't play me for a sucker.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 13 Apr 2013, 04:26

I felt like I got played last year, bought an overpriced copy of the Lee Hazlewood 2LP anthology released by Light in the Attic, which was described as limited to a couple of thousand copies. They then released the exact same version to stores/mail order as a (much cheaper) standard release a couple of weeks later. I was pissed off, wrote em an email, they apologised but played dumb really.

The only thing I want from this year's crop is a copy of PIL's Public Image 7" wrapped in a facsimile of the original newspaper sleeve. Who's releasing it? Light in the Attic :roll:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Apr 2013, 04:05

I too don't partake in it. I wish I could say I'd thought it out as well as nathan has (I completely agree), but it's more that since I visit record stores anyway, I don't feel the need to celebrate when all the rules are changed and I'm supposed to be excited about something -- not to mention the crowds. I like browsing in my own time, not being part of an event. But if it's helping record stores to do better business, I'm behind it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 14 Apr 2013, 04:26

Remember (Quaco) wrote:since I visit record stores anyway, I don't feel the need to celebrate when all the rules are changed and I'm supposed to be excited about something -- not to mention the crowds. I like browsing in my own time, not being part of an event.

Yeah, if you spend an average of $20-50 a week in retail record outlets, there's not much incentive to get super stoked about Record Store Day.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Apr 2013, 04:53

It's like going out drinking on St. Patrick's Day! :mrgreen:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 14 Apr 2013, 05:08

Phenomenal Fag wrote:Price everything to move.

This is huge.

Look, I know digital commerce and "the free shit paradigm" changed everything. BUT...you know how people notice shit like one record store kind of sucking a lot less than another record store? Yeah, me too.

Let's look at something like competitive pricing...those stereo Beatles reissues that came out last year? I've seen them in various indie shops for...well anywhere from $19 to $35. You have to assume the guy who is charging $35 is not working any sort of long term strategy. Does he deserve RSD?

Similarly, the used titles - you sit on your stock for decades because you've decided everything is "collectible" and priced it accordingly, you probably deserve to struggle with your overhead even more than you do. Does HE deserve RSD?

Grading vinyl? Yeah - some people will get used to seeing the cover/title/price/accurate grading in the same blink of an eye, and will start going to your store more frequently for the convenience/ease of browsing/purchasing...rather than unwrapping 100 copies of Led Zeppelin III only to find that some asshole has REPEATEDLY priced a beater reissue copy at $12. There's a very odd/quirky/not optimally run/not optimally located shop I very rarely buy from, BUT ALWAYS BROWSE because the primary stock is all VG+/NM, and anything as lowly as VG- is relegated to the dollar bin. I'd say these people have probably earned RSD more than their "It's on wax and we're taking your money, right!?!?!?" peers.

Online access - oh, wow, let's play dumb about the internet (I swear, it totally fucking exists). OR....and hear me out here...let's do like the very successful store that enters all formats new and used and graded and meticulously described into a database and attracts busy customers every day who are desperate to grab some scarce (realistically but competitively priced) title because they were able to type 'Gene Clark mono used' into the same search field every day for months and finally come up aces. Does the guy who offers this service deserve RSD more or less than the guy who doesn't?

The shit worked. We're (as a society) visiting the stores in greater numbers by the day. You can stop blaming the internet and leaning on shitty overpriced reissues more and more every day. Or...you can play dumb.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 14 Apr 2013, 16:48

My manifesto!
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 17 Apr 2013, 05:17

The Homosexual Lobby wrote:
Remember (Quaco) wrote:since I visit record stores anyway, I don't feel the need to celebrate when all the rules are changed and I'm supposed to be excited about something -- not to mention the crowds. I like browsing in my own time, not being part of an event.

Yeah, if you spend an average of $20-50 a week in retail record outlets, there's not much incentive to get super stoked about Record Store Day.

Despite that, my pal, who lives a few streets over and is as obsessive as me and works for a wines and spirits distributor, is comng over to mine at 8am for a champagne breakfast, a toke or two and then we'll hit Southbound Records for 9am followed by Real Groovy at about 10 followed by beers somewhere. Credit cards flapping in the breeze. My kinda day.

Local releases are a bit thin on the ground this year though - might pick up the Waves LP despite recently paying $40 or so for an original....dunno 'bout Shihad...

Return to “Yakety Yak”