Last days for HMV?

Do talk back
the masked man
Schadenfreude

Re: Last days for HMV?

Postby the masked man » 23 Feb 2013, 21:05

Peterborough still seems a busy shop now; oddly, it could now be the largest HMV in the east midlands/east of England (with the possible exception of Leicester). Stock's starting to run low after the blue cross sale has been running for a while (and the discount has just increased to 30%), but the CD section is surprisingly good for a provincial HMV store in a small city.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 23 Feb 2013, 23:16

I see Glasgow's Fopp now has notices up about a change in returns policy - it's the end of the road for the no quibble Suck It And See policy, I'm afraid...
Just a penitent man

Captain Jazzmag

Postby Captain Jazzmag » 23 Feb 2013, 23:31

My local branch in Darlington survives second round of cuts as nearby Middlesbrough goes under. This, I assume, can only be put down to the rates - backwater Darlington's Cornmill Centre has relatively few empty units, whereas the Boro Hoomv is on a prime site in a university town. The Darlington branch is the inferior store by some distance.

Big '70% off Blue Cross Sale' posters in the window today - the small print revealing that the 70% only refers to the calendars only. Biggest new release [i]Skyfall [/i, at £12.99, going for £3 more than everywhere else.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 24 Feb 2013, 12:12

Captain Jazzmag wrote:My local branch in Darlington survives second round of cuts as nearby Middlesbrough goes under. This, I assume, can only be put down to the rates - backwater Darlington's Cornmill Centre has relatively few empty units, whereas the Boro Hoomv is on a prime site in a university town.

"Middlesbrough - University town since 1992!"
Just a penitent man

Huw
Bloody Nincompoop

Postby Huw » 24 Feb 2013, 12:40

andymacandy wrote:
Huw wrote:Horsham is still open and going strong Huw.It's always busy, and may survive longer.
Plenty of CDs and lots of second hand stuff too.

Second hand stuff? At HMV? Times must be hard Andy!

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 17 Mar 2013, 20:13

For one week only, all remaining Blue Cross items at HMV and Fopp are available in a 'buy one, get one free' deal. I've been stocking up on previously pricey metal CDs this way.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 19 Mar 2013, 01:07

Captain Jazzmag wrote:My local branch in Darlington survives second round of cuts as nearby Middlesbrough goes under.

I was in the Boro store today. I was thinking it was all pretty sad really - there always seems to have been an HMV and even if I haven't really shopped there much for several years, it's going to feel odd when it's gone.
It's really got that death throes feel about it now as its final days approach - piles of cheap books shoved in the spaces where the tablets and i-pods used to be, t-shirts hanging forlornly in unfamiliar gaps, discount and closing down posters and labels everywhere, despondent staff shuffling about lugubriously.
But then we're all accustomed to similar sights to these on the high street nowadays.

The first cd I picked up was the Joni Mitchell box set that came out last autumn. I can't remember what it's going for now but its original price there was £45. I paid £26 from amazon on pre-order in October just to reinforce what's long been said about their pricing and its undoubted contribution to their decline.

I got two books, a cd and a mug - 13 quid instead of just over 30 (the different items are discounted at different rates) and I'll probably have another snoop round before the weekend.

I'm sure that some of my Dad's 78s bore the HMV label and equally sure that friends had HMV tvs and record players in their family homes when I was young and I've shopped in the stores for as long as I can recall so I shall regret its passing.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 19 Mar 2013, 07:10

I was in Horsham over the weekend, and they have been re-stocked, and look like they are on the up again.
Its always been a busy shop, and I think that a lot of folks have made an effort to support it.
Looks like it will survive, touch wood, as there really needs to be a place where you can browse for CD's.
Bless the weather.......Image

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 19 Mar 2013, 08:51

I was in the Huddersfield shop a couple of days ago to have a look at the closing down sale.

It's still too expensive.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

JQW

Postby JQW » 19 Mar 2013, 10:44

Footy wrote:I'm sure that some of my Dad's 78s bore the HMV label and equally sure that friends had HMV tvs and record players in their family homes when I was young and I've shopped in the stores for as long as I can recall so I shall regret its passing.

The Gramophone Company created the His Master's Voice imprint in 1912,, as the new name for their full-price releases. The logo dates back to even earlier, having first appeared on The Gramophone Company's releases in 1908, and was used even earlier by Victor in the US.

The Gramophone Company became part of EMI in 1931, with HMV becoming one of EMI's two main imprints, issuing most styles of music. The label became effectively classical only in the late 1960s, when the remaining popular acts on the imprint were moved to other labels within EMI - although the popular imprint was briefly revived in 1987 for Morrissey's early solo output.

The label was finally wound down around 1990 when EMI migrated its global classical catalogue to the EMI Classics label.

The record shops were originally owned by EMI, but became a separate venture just over a dozen years ago.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Huw
Bloody Nincompoop

Postby Huw » 19 Mar 2013, 11:23

As a matter of interest, or possibly not, I own a 78 record (numbered #121) which was released to celebrate HMV's millennium.

On one side is Robbie Williams Millennium and the other Elgar's Enigma Variations Op. 36 conducted by the man himself. Not sure if it's worth anything, but I must get around to framing it.

JQW

Postby JQW » 19 Mar 2013, 13:06

Huw wrote:As a matter of interest, or possibly not, I own a 78 record (numbered #121) which was released to celebrate HMV's millennium.

On one side is Robbie Williams Millennium and the other Elgar's Enigma Variations Op. 36 conducted by the man himself. Not sure if it's worth anything, but I must get around to framing it.

That was issued to commemorate the opening of the new HMV store in Oxford Street in 2000.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 22 Mar 2013, 11:22

Went into the Trafford Centre HMV yesterday and it was dreadful, even less CD's then in the past, and absolutely nothing I was interested in.

Compare and contrast with Penny Lane in Christchurch, where I cam out with 8 CD's, even though there wasn't a sale on.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 22 Mar 2013, 13:45

I just walked down to Fopp in Covent Garden. Thoroughly depressing.

All this "buy one get one free on blue stickered product" is on CD's that were sold by the same store for £3 to £5 a year back but seemingly now the price of the same cd's is £9-£12 :roll:

An un-remastered Sheryl Crow 'Tuesday Night Music Club" cd for £9 anyone?? Bloody ridiculous.

Upstairs in the main CD section I overheard three of the staff members having a heated discussion about their plight. Swearing quite openly in front of the few customers they had. I feel for them, moral is obviously very low.

Think thats my last ever visit to Fopp.............I didn't find anything worth buying.

lord_of_light88

Postby lord_of_light88 » 22 Mar 2013, 18:55

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Think thats my last ever visit to Fopp.............I didn't find anything worth buying.

Sometime last month I was at the Cambridge one thinking that'd be my last visit. I grabbed a book for a fiver and said bye-bye to the place that had given me plenty of cheap thrills in the past.

I didn't think they'd still be standing one month later. All this time I've been afraid of going again, it must be depressing.
Master Wanker

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 22 Mar 2013, 20:20

my nearest HMV closed today.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 22 Mar 2013, 20:52

lord_of_light88 wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:Think thats my last ever visit to Fopp.............I didn't find anything worth buying.

Sometime last month I was at the Cambridge one thinking that'd be my last visit. I grabbed a book for a fiver and said bye-bye to the place that had given me plenty of cheap thrills in the past.

I didn't think they'd still be standing one month later. All this time I've been afraid of going again, it must be depressing.

The Cambridge store isnt too far from me but havent been there since end of last year. That was a really good place to go on a Saturday afternoon whilst the wife went to her fave shops. Not forgetting to have a quick look in HMV and also the vinyl stall in the market.

My fave Fopp was always the Reading store but that sadly closed a long time ago. The amount of money I spent in there wasnt huge but the amount of £5 back catalogue cd's I bought was. The Mercury Rod Solo albums on 2for1's, Can's Cannabalism vol.1 and 2 amongst many others. Had many a happy afternoon in various Fopp's over the last 10 years. Just feeling nostalgic and sad thats its all now coming to an end. :cry:

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 22 Mar 2013, 21:34

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
lord_of_light88 wrote:

The Cambridge store isnt too far from me but havent been there since end of last year. That was a really good place to go on a Saturday afternoon whilst the wife went to her fave shops. Not forgetting to have a quick look in HMV and also the vinyl stall in the market.

My fave Fopp was always the Reading store but that sadly closed a long time ago. The amount of money I spent in there wasnt huge but the amount of £5 back catalogue cd's I bought was. The Mercury Rod Solo albums on 2for1's, Can's Cannabalism vol.1 and 2 amongst many others. Had many a happy afternoon in various Fopp's over the last 10 years. Just feeling nostalgic and sad thats its all now coming to an end. :cry:

I spent many happy £s in the Reading Fopp. I would enter, look at the chart CDs on the left and then do a very satisfying semi-circle, ending up at the Taschen Art books and less popular CDs. It's been gone a long time now - I think I got a Coral CD there last time I went.

Cambridge Fopp was very sad on Saturday. I would have bought new CDs but there was No Girls Names and none of the recent Sub Pop things, just loads of things I had already decided not to buy. I fancied some of the Suede remasters from a year or so ago, but somehow they had inflated to £25. I could have bought the other four Aztec Camera albums in the nice remastered book editions for £20, but ended up buying Johnny Marr and walking out.

However, if I knew that it was going to stay open, I wouldn't have been so critical. You can't always expect a surpeise when you walk into a shop.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 22 Mar 2013, 21:44

Graham Murakami wrote: I fancied some of the Suede remasters from a year or so ago, but somehow they had inflated to £25. .

£25 fucking quid??? I baulked at the Suede remasters being £16 in Rough Trade Brick Lane on release day.

But £25???? :shock:

Its time to say goodbye. Very wrong.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 22 Mar 2013, 21:50

Graham Murakami wrote:
I spent many happy £s in the Reading Fopp. I would enter, look at the chart CDs on the left and then do a very satisfying semi-circle, ending up at the Taschen Art books and less popular CDs. It's been gone a long time now - I think I got a Coral CD there last time I went.

Same here. Very good shop. The endless racks of £5 rare/hard to find/back catalogue cd's was fantastic. I still thank my friend for introducing me to Fopp as for a longtime I didnt know it was there. I only went to Reading for the 2 HMV's (why any town needs 2 HMV's still confuses me,) and the big Virgin Megastore. But once Fopp came into view I spent very little in HMV/Virgin and headed straight to Fopp.