Zappa corner. bung it here.

Do talk back
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Zappa corner. bung it here.

Postby clive gash » 22 Nov 2016, 10:18

Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words review – portrait of a musical revolutionary. The rock star and provocateur is imperturbably articulate and droll in this entertaining documentary made of archive footage and interview clips.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... ary-review
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Dec 2016, 19:46

Arrived today:

oooooooooooooooooooof!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Dec 2016, 21:51

Haven't had a chance to play it yet.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 Dec 2016, 23:16

NP

oooooooooooooooof!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Feb 2017, 16:56

C wrote:NP

oooooooooooooooof!

Don't overlook this!

Superb versions of Dancin' Fool, Easy Meat (great guitar solo), Village in the Sun (ditto) Bamboozled by Love to name justa few

Essential

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 10 Feb 2017, 18:54

I copped mono promo copy of Absolutely Free a little while ago...sounds great.

https://www.discogs.com/Mothers-Of-Inve ... se/4938212
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Apr 2017, 06:59

Mount St. Mary's College 1963 - music starts 13.00, Q&A starts 50.55

"Quite."

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Apr 2017, 07:14

Charlie O. wrote:A very good quality FLAC download of selections from FZ's Mount St. Mary's College concerts in 1963...

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Apr 2017, 07:20

Sorry, forgot to scroll through the thread to avoid any duplicates. Attention Gorts...!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Apr 2017, 07:44

No, it's cool! Just putting it up there in case anyone wants to DL it...

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 15 Apr 2017, 06:22

Okay, this time I checked, these aren't already posted:

Tonight Show 1986 (starts at 35.00)

four Letterman clips 1982-83

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Apr 2017, 06:47

I'm surprised I didn't know about that Tonight Show appearance. That was good - Johnny seemed genuinely interested in the topic, and in Frank.

Unlike, say, Dinah Shore, bless her heart. The story goes that her show booker booked Zappa to talk about the then-current controversy over his song "Jewish Princess"; when Dinah herself read the lyrics just before showtime she decided to not bring it up on the air. I watched this when it was originally broadcast and remember wondering why the heck Frank was even on.

The other guests included Peaches & Herb (who lipsync'd "Reunited" earlier in the program), Jan & Dean, The Bee Gees' parents, and someone else I don't recognize/remember.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 15 Apr 2017, 07:04

Renn Woods, who was appearing in a production of Hair. Peaches = who wasn't even the original one, fer cryin' out loud - was pretty sneery, but Herb and Frank seemed to get along. I saw it when it first aired, thought it was ridiculous even then. Saw the Carson one too, I remember him laughing about the insistence of the "National Treasure" thing. Time was short, so Johnny was willing to let Frank focus on the PMRC stuff. He got to make very good points at the end.

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Apr 2017, 09:09

with John Belushi

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Apr 2017, 18:00

Nice tribute from Dweezil [re the late great Allan Holdsworth]:

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to take a moment to share a few words with you about Allan Holdsworth. I was saddened to hear about his passing and I am sending best thoughts and wishes to his family. It may not be obvious but he was a major influence on my musical outlook. His approach to guitar was so unique and quite honestly baffling, especially to the 13 year old me who spent a summer trying to learn licks from his "Metal Fatigue" album. My dad was an admirer of Allan's playing as well.  He talked about him in high regard in several interviews.

One day Allan came to our house to visit my dad. I don't recall the exact circumstances but it may have had something to do with Chad Wackerman who used to play drums with my dad and also played with Allan. In any case, I remember that I was 13 and I couldn't understand the scales Allan was using or the chords he was playing over. I had the opportunity to ask him a few questions that day and he was very patient with me as I attempted to show him some of the things I had tried to learn. He showed me a few easier licks and some two hand tapping ideas.

As the years went by the scales never got any easier nor did the uncommon chords he reached for. Little by little, elements of his approach to guitar entered my own vocabulary and passed through my own musical filters. I believe that Allan's influence on my playing isn't heard as a derivative in terms of playing his licks, it's more of my own interpretation of how to apply the elements that I love in his playing, spontaneous risk and reward, tension and release. His ability to effortlessly move through rhythmic contours with harmonic variety is what all guitarists who've heard him, have marveled at.

I was lucky enough to know Allan after my dad had passed away. He was very kind and spoke fondly of the time he visited with my dad. Allan even played with my band on stage a few times. He was so humble and was allergic to compliments. If I mentioned something about his playing on a record or even in the moment while playing together he would say with a smile, "I'm sorry you had to hear that."
Not everyone could appreciate the high contrast in his music but those who did, really did! He was most in his element in his own music. I remember that when he played with us on stage he kept saying he was so nervous. It's hard to understand that because he was so gifted as a player but I can empathize because I feel that way when I'm outside my own comfort zone. It produces a tendency to block your creative instincts and rely on patterns instead of opening the door to your greatest musical inspiration. That said, it seemed to me that Allan had total freedom in his playing and it was truly inspirational to me. 

I am currently making a new guitar solo album called F.O.H. Live In The Moment Part II for my Dweezil Zappa "Others Of Intention" Pledge Music campaign http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/othersofintention. It's a "Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar" Style album. I was putting all of the finishing touches on it but then I heard the news about Allan. Now I feel compelled to find a solo from a recent tour so that I can include it on the album. I would like to pay homage in my own way to Allan. I know I have reached outside my comfort zone on recent tours and sought to get into the zone of "total freedom."
With that said, I will be making some changes to the album in order to make this happen. It will cause a short delay which I apologize for in advance but it's important to me to make this tribute part of the record. I think I will call it "I'm Sorry You Had To Hear That."

RIP Allan Holdsworth, I will always appreciate your musical voice and your creativity and I'm glad I got to hear that!

Dweezil Zappa

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 19 Apr 2017, 01:56

Not bad for a tribute band!

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Apr 2017, 08:52

zoomboogity wrote:Not bad for a tribute band!

What an incredible drummer Terry Bozzio is?

Bozzio and Steve Vai - ooooof!

Zappa Plays Zappa with Steve Vai performs the very complicated and hard-to-play The Black Page Part 2, written by Frank Zappa for drummer Terry Bozzio on drums and percussion with added instrumentation. One of the most difficult rock songs ever to play live, the second half of The Black Page features Dweezil Zappa and virtuoso guest Steve Vai on lead guitars. All melody and percussion parts are written, no improvisation.

Wikipedia: On the double live album Zappa in New York (recorded 12/1976, released 3/1978), Zappa noted the "statistical density" of the piece. The Black Page is written in common time with extensive use of tuplets, including tuplets inside tuplets. At several points there is a crotchet triplet (sixth notes) in which each beat is counted with its own tuplet of 5, 5 and 6; at another is a minim triplet (third notes) in which the second beat is a rubato quintuplet (actually a tuplet of 7), and the third beat is divided into tuplets of 4 and 5. The song ends with a crotchet triplet composed of tuplets of 5, 5, and 6, followed by two tuplets of 11 in the space of one.

Zappa would re-arrange the song into "The Black Page #2" shortly after his band's mastery of the piece. This second version has a disco beat, but nevertheless retains nearly every metric complexity from #1. One notable difference in this version is that the final set of tuplets feature a rhythmic change and are repeated thrice to conclude the song.

In 2006, "The Black Page" was featured on Zappa Plays Zappa - Tour de Frank, an ambitious effort by Dweezil Zappa to bring Zappa music to the stage again, played by himself and a new band. The 2006 tour also included, as special guests, Zappa alumni singer & woodwind player Napoleon Murphy Brock, drummer Bozzio, and guitarist Steve Vai. In the 2006 shows, "The Black Page" was played first as a drum solo by Bozzio and then a second time as a guitar duet with Steve Vai

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 26 Apr 2017, 17:39

BUNG

Hello ma’am, I was wondering if you could spare your entire afternoon to hear me ramble on about Frank Zappa, the greatest musician to ever exist? No? Well is your husband home? I would love to explain to him the life changing power and glory of The Mothers Of Invention ad nauseum. Heretics write his music off as pop-novelty, but I assure you, once you let Zappa into your heart he will never leave you.

I have dedicated my life to spreading the word and work of Zappa: from college dorms to first dates, there is not a time or place where I don’t feel the need to disrupt the conversation by asking if anyone has heard the Apostrophe (‘) album or quietly humming the tune to Camarillo Brillo until someone asks about it.

Before you shut the door, let me just ask you one quick question … Do you feel like something is missing from your life? That part of you feels empty inside? Have you ever thought of filling that void with the 109 albums, compilations, and reissues of Frank Vincent Zappa? I know, I know, committing yourself to just one artist seems overwhelming, but Zappa died for your ears.

Look, I understand that Zappa can be a little inaccessible, and I am not asking you to listen to The Man from Utopia or Tinseltown Rebellion. All I am asking is for you to sit down and listen to Strictly Commercial: The Best of Frank Zappa. Do you have a turntable? I will be happy to sit with you and walk you through it track by track until you realize that I’ve eaten up your entire day.

I would like to repeat to you as much as possible how ahead of his time Zappa was and how The Freak Out! inspired the entire psychedelic movement even though Zappa himself did not do drugs. He was a long-haired outcast and a rebel, both from conservative society and the music industry. Does that remind you of someone else, perhaps?

I can see you are looking at your watch. I will let you go but I want to leave you with this personal mixtape I made with some of Zappa’s more heady, orchestral tracks. We also meet every Sunday at the VFW to perform Joe’s Garage in its entirety and study the genius of the criminally underrated album Chunga’s Revenge.

Thank you for your time.

Have you accepted Frank Zappa into your life? Let us know in the comments below!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 26 Apr 2017, 18:01

that IS funny but Chunga's Revenge IS criminally underrated, you know!
uggy poopy doody.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Apr 2017, 20:40

sneelock wrote:that IS funny but Chunga's Revenge IS criminally underrated, you know!

Absolutely!

Return to “Yakety Yak”