Mott the Hoople

Do talk back
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: Mott the Hoople

Postby The Slider » 12 Dec 2012, 17:43

I've tried with the pre-dudes stuff but it just doesn't have 'it'
There's no show without Punch either - No Hunter, no Hoople.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Dec 2012, 20:17

Charlie O. St. Nickel-less wrote:But it's true - you keep saying "They only made one decent album - didn't they...?" and everyone disagrees, then you wait a while and try again... :lol:

Well, am I right or am I right? :lol:

x
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Voxtron

Postby Voxtron » 14 Dec 2012, 04:28

He said Mott the Hoople, not Mott. That Mott stuff is horrible.

Jon K

Postby Jon K » 14 Dec 2012, 10:28

I like most of the Mot The Hoople catalogue save for Wildlife which is actually just average but the early stuf like Mad Shadows and Brain Capers is very good I do love the Glam Era though as well.Once Hunter left though I didn't really take much notice but Mott had a couple of good tracks but that is about it really. I preferred the post Mott band British Lions :)

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 14 Dec 2012, 11:33

Never been a huge fan, as I found them terribly inconsistent. One minute, we've got the wonderful "Thunderbuck Ram", then we have Hunter's sub standard Dylan ditties ( so bad, at times, he makes Tim Burgess of the Charlatans sound authentic ). Glam era ....some genius, some pretentious. At times I found them to be the missing link between Roxy and The Sweet.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 14 Dec 2012, 14:28

Brain Capers is their best album.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 18 May 2017, 09:24

The Slider wrote:I've tried with the pre-dudes stuff but it just doesn't have 'it'
There's no show without Punch either - No Hunter, no Hoople.

I've been listening to the two glam albums (All the Young Dudes and Mott) and I have to say that John is right here. Those two albums work for different reasons- Dudes is the sound of a band on the verge of making it and holding onto dear life, while Mott is a "conquering heroes" record that is all too aware that the only way to go is down. Dudes is the better sounding of the two- even stuff like "Sucker" and "One of the Boys" have a real punch to them, and the band even swings pretty fine. Of course the "title" track overshadows the rest of the album, but the rest of it doesn't exactly shrivel and hide in its presence. It's just got a real sense of purpose. Mott, in contrast, sounds ragged, right from the start with the rollicking "All the Way to Memphis", one of the funniest songs about wanting to be a rock and roll star. Other tracks, such as "Driving Sister" swaggers as it falls apart, and the meat of the record- the final three tracks--are appropriately stark but still rocking, even as something like "I'm A Cadillac" threatens to careen offcourse, they just manage to snap back into place. It's no shame they couldn't top this.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Return to “Yakety Yak”