'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Do talk back
User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 20 May 2018, 20:49



Incredibly patience-testing!

Do you think he thinks it's a good song? It's odd.

I almost feel sorry for him but I think he's probably a bit of a dick. You'd have to be, to carry on like this
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16985
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 20 May 2018, 21:06

Did you see him on TotP? Obviously not because you didn’t post this



Who are their influences?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 20 May 2018, 21:14

I saw that last night, yeah. Like that one a lot more than I did...
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 08:53

Dunno how we've got this far without any kind of mention of these fuckwits:

yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16985
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 21 May 2018, 09:46

Blunder! They are great (in small doses). This one’s a doozy

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13456
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Rayge » 21 May 2018, 10:01

BOLLY BEE wrote:Some Midge Ure shit

Do you think he thinks it's a good song? It's odd.


It certainly plays merry hell with the subjunctive - rebel music?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 10:08

gash on ignore wrote:Blunder! They are great (in small doses). This one’s a doozy



They're just inept.

They'd be a bit of novelty appeal if they ditched the studenty sloganeering, I suppose, but only for five minutes.
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 10:08

Rayge wrote:
BOLLY BEE wrote:Some Midge Ure shit

Do you think he thinks it's a good song? It's odd.


It certainly plays merry hell with the subjunctive - rebel music?


The subjunctive in my post or in the song's lyrics?
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 10:09

IT'S MONDAY MORNING, LADS, GIVE ME A FUCKIN BREAK WILL YA?
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16985
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 21 May 2018, 10:09

Then we shall agree to disagree :)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 10:10

I don't like that.

And I am surprised at you.

Anyway. Have a lovely day x
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13456
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Rayge » 21 May 2018, 10:15

BOLLY BEE wrote:
Rayge wrote:
BOLLY BEE wrote:Some Midge Ure shit

Do you think he thinks it's a good song? It's odd.


It certainly plays merry hell with the subjunctive - rebel music?


The subjunctive in my post or in the song's lyrics?

Oh, the lyrics - even a Yankee junkie like Tim Hardin managed If I WERE a carpenter.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 10:19

oh THAT!

always thought it sounded a wee bit formal for a pop song

it's only just hanging on in modern English anyway - it'll probably survive in fixed expressions like 'if I were you...' for another few decades. And 'God Save The Queen'
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13456
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Rayge » 21 May 2018, 10:24

BOLLY BEE wrote:oh THAT!

always thought it sounded a wee bit formal for a pop song

it's only just hanging on in modern English anyway - it'll probably survive in fixed expressions like 'if I were you...' for another few decades. And 'God Save The Queen'


Oh sure - I was just being playful. And I grew up in the 50s with people saying 'If I was you'. I didn't know what a subjunctive was until I started learning French, and it took a few years after that before I realized it existed in English, too.
Still a shit song, mind
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 10:28

Rotten.
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3696
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Fonz » 21 May 2018, 10:43

BOLLY BEE wrote:Dunno how we've got this far without any kind of mention of these fuckwits:



Utter shit
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3696
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Fonz » 21 May 2018, 10:46

BOLLY BEE wrote:
gash on ignore wrote:Blunder! They are great (in small doses). This one’s a doozy



They're just inept.

They'd be a bit of novelty appeal if they ditched the studenty sloganeering, I suppose, but only for five minutes.


Just. Shit.

I've seen these in magazines and imagined them to be like a modern-day The Jam, but no.
It would surprise me if they were a KLF-like joke, doing it as an 'art experiment'.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 10:49

Iggy Pop likes 'em and they're in the Grauniad every month, so there's some CACHET

but yeah - they must be pissing themselves.
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6201
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 May 2018, 11:50

They're like a coffee-table Whitehouse. I expect they'll go on releasing the same album for as long as Whitehouse did, too.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19097
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Earl E. Eel » 21 May 2018, 11:52

Whitehouse?
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?