'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Do talk back
Bungo the Mungo

Re: I've found it!

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 17 Oct 2012, 23:52

:D

I actually listened to it again last night - the whole way through.

There are many many things to hate about it, but I honestly think I've heard worse.

I think we need to think a bit harder if we're really going for this 'worst song ever' thing. Choosing this is like choosing Abbey Road as your favourite record - it crops up here again and again.

This is all enormous fun but you have to pull your fingers out. :D

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 17 Oct 2012, 23:56

The 4-Non Blondes record is shit but a lot of the hatred towards it seems to come out of outrage that someone dared to sully the good name of grunge. FFS Rape Me or any Pearl Jam record is worse than What's Going On.

What's Up I meant.
Last edited by clive gash on 18 Oct 2012, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 17 Oct 2012, 23:58

Hm. Well, this is every bit as bad:

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 17 Oct 2012, 23:59

What;s interesting about the Just Say No record is that if something like that were made nowadays all the kids would be able to sing and dance. Kids playing maimed children on Casualty went to Stage School and can hold a tune, belt out a high note, do the Mariah Carey thing with their hand as they navigate melisma, and clap on the off beat. Some of the kids in the video you posted haven't even got shoulders, John.

I remember it being bad, but I watched it earlier. Joking apart, there are kids in bedrooms making better crap pop music and putting it on YouTube.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Oct 2012, 00:01

clive gash wrote:The 4-Non Blondes record is shit but a lot of the hatred towards it seems to come out of outrage that someone dared to sully the good name of grunge. FFS Rape Me or any Pearl Jam record is worse than What's Going On.

I agree.

Any one of Chris Rea's run of hits from the mid to late eighties must be in with a shout.

I can't decide which one is worse though:

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Oct 2012, 00:03

brotherlouie wrote:What;s interesting about the Just Say No record is that if something like that were made nowadays all the kids would be able to sing and dance. Kids playing maimed children on Casualty went to Stage School and can hold a tune, belt out a high note, do the Mariah Carey thing with their hand as they navigate melisma, and clap on the off beat. Some of the kids in the video you posted haven't even got shoulders, John.

I remember it being bad, but I watched it earlier. Joking apart, there are kids in bedrooms making better crap pop music and putting it on YouTube.

Yep, you're right. It's a wonder that thing was ever released.

Crikey - I'm agreeing with everyone tonight!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 18 Oct 2012, 00:15

I can't hate Chris Rea, it's functional music for people who have the temerity not to give too much of a shit what others think of their musical taste, wierdos. I don't really think this is the worst song ever either but I'd sooner listen to Fool If You Think It's Over.

This is seen as some kind of Madge peak, she shrugs off the yoke o'pop and delivers a What's Goin' On for the 90s (ok, 1989). It's fucking awful, weighed down with "significant", "worthy" gospel add-ons, she tries to sing for the first time, really enunciates, this is important goddammit. The blonde hair is gone, its dark now for this righteous artiste. Oh for the days of Material Girl and Burnin' Up.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Oct 2012, 00:16

brotherlouie wrote:The drummer - who isn't great - almost looks out of the video, catches our eye in a way that says 'this is the last time you'll ever see me'.

Back when I was a barely employed shlub in the 90's, I went to an audition. I was told, "You'll be auditioning to be in a rock video. Bring a guitar." I had to stand, alongside another auditioner, in front of a bunch of people, and air guitar to a song that was so shit, I couldn't muster any enthusiasm for it whatsoever.

The blond clown could've been me, if I had given a fuck:

Last edited by harvey k-tel on 18 Oct 2012, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 18 Oct 2012, 00:16

The Four Non Blondes (or are they called 4 Non Blondes) track is bound to crop up time and again - certainly, as I see it, by being some sort of "perfect storm" of "irksome virtues". I could probably make a "Top 10 attributes of that song which make me cringe" list every day for a year with very few repeats.

I mean, that's something of an accomplishment for the artist.

But, yes - of course, by virtue of it being such a perennial in these discussions, people are bound to get sick of seeing it mentioned in this context.

I always enjoy these threads (and the Bizarro Cup) - mostly for the occasional undiscovered nugget of lousiness that we occasionally unearth.

It won't be new to BCB (I discovered it here thanks to...who was it again?), but this has given me a lot of "choked on my own vomit" joy through these past few years - and, in many ways, seems like a child of "What's Up" (among the innumerable odious similarities is the use of an acoustic guitar technique I call "the college strum").

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Oct 2012, 00:17

John San Juan wrote:It won't be new to BCB (I discovered it here thanks to...who was it again?)

Yeah, sorry about that.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 18 Oct 2012, 00:18

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
John San Juan wrote:It won't be new to BCB (I discovered it here thanks to...who was it again?)

Yeah, sorry about that.

Oh, I'm richer for knowing it.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Oct 2012, 00:19

clive gash wrote:

This is seen as some kind of Madge peak, she shrugs off the yoke o'pop and delivers a What's Goin' On for the 90s (ok, 1989). It's fucking awful, weighed down with "significant", "worthy" gospel add-ons, she tries to sing for the first time, really enunciates, this is important goddammit. The blonde hair is gone, its dark now for this righteous artiste. Oh for the days of Material Girl and Burnin' Up.

Nah that one's alright Nev.
It might be shooting fish in a barrell..but any number of Jackson's late 80's/90's efforts are worse.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Oct 2012, 00:21

That MJ one with Naomi Campbell in the video - that was fucking appalling. It was just some kind of rhythm track Prince had used 5 years earlier with a lot of oohs and aahs over the top. Shocking.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Oct 2012, 00:23

clive gash wrote:I can't hate Chris Rea, it's functional music for people who have the temerity not to give too much of a shit what others think of their musical taste, wierdos. I don't really think this is the worst song ever either but I'd sooner listen to Fool If You Think It's Over.

It's poor, but I really enjoyed her performance of it at Live 8.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 18 Oct 2012, 00:23

TheModernist wrote:
clive gash wrote:Nah that one's alright Nev.
It might be shooting fish in a barrell..but any number of Jackson's late 80's/90's efforts are worse.

The difference is that no-one (or noone if we're in need of a Manc intrusion) would think of sticking up for Jacko's twilight droppings but L A P will be held up as something of quality.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 18 Oct 2012, 00:24

Harvey K-Tel wrote:

Yeah, sorry about that.

Oh my me, 20 seconds is all I could take.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Oct 2012, 00:28

clive gash wrote:
TheModernist wrote:
clive gash wrote:Nah that one's alright Nev.

The difference is that no-one (or noone if we're in need of a Manc intrusion) would think of sticking up for Jacko's twilight droppings but L A P will be held up as something of quality.

Speaking of which:

[youtube]Nbrh4KlskBM&feature=related[/youtube]

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Oct 2012, 00:31

At least they can cut it live... :?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 18 Oct 2012, 00:31

Ian, Enge, and Beeline CUNT wrote:Speaking of which:

[youtube]Nbrh4KlskBM&feature=related[/youtube]

Oh nice, like 10cc with Bell's Palsy. Is it time for his re-imagining of Heartbreak Hotel yet?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 18 Oct 2012, 00:33

TheModernist wrote:At least they can cut it live... :?

The Ting-Tings have certainly seen better days.