'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Do talk back
Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 03 Apr 2018, 17:09

You really do have to listen. It's beyond what I can adequately describe.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 03 Apr 2018, 17:46

Ewww.

And this heap of insignificant nothingness is actually successful, even played live on Conan. :shock:
Last edited by Neige on 03 Apr 2018, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2018, 18:10

Cheeky Cheeky Naughty Sneaky wrote:

Heard at the gym this morning. I think we can close the thread now.

Consequence of Sound listed it as the 26th-worst number-one song in Alternative chart history, stating that "There's a lot to hate about this song... but by far the worst are the hacky moments where singer Judah Akers mentions the banjo or the mandolin and follows with a little solo from that instrument. It’s the kind of idea you wish you could be there for the moment they came up with it, just so you could tell them that it’s literally the least cool move in rock and roll history."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 03 Apr 2018, 18:16

Quaco wrote:
Cheeky Cheeky Naughty Sneaky wrote:

Heard at the gym this morning. I think we can close the thread now.

Consequence of Sound listed it as the 26th-worst number-one song in Alternative chart history, stating that "There's a lot to hate about this song... but by far the worst are the hacky moments where singer Judah Akers mentions the banjo or the mandolin and follows with a little solo from that instrument. It’s the kind of idea you wish you could be there for the moment they came up with it, just so you could tell them that it’s literally the least cool move in rock and roll history."

Yes. When I move to the weights I have to take my IPod off. Hence me doing leg curls while shouting at the telly 'NO IT ISNT NICE' (weight clang) 'WHEN THE PEOPLE SING ALONG' (weight clang) 'TO THE FUCKING BANJO YOU COCK' (weight clangs)
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Apr 2018, 19:01

*(some sort of traumatized emoji, perhaps)*

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 03 Apr 2018, 19:16

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Apr 2018, 21:12

It really is awful, but I laughed when the banjo lick came in (a sample, surely?).

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 10 Apr 2018, 20:18

Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 11 Apr 2018, 05:00

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:

It's difficult for me to let "this sort of thing"* pass without some good old fashioned invective.

*including but in no way limited to

1) The wacky, snotty, pop-punk cover version of "some song".
2) The either cutesy delicate "acoustic!" (Pomplamoose/general yogurt commercial) or sad sack "acoustic!" (sub-Donnie Darko) version of "some song".
3) This fucking thing, for sure
4) Dueling Piano bars (few things have convinced me to accept that I live in "the flyover states" more so than the fact that I have driven past one of these things nearly every day for years)
5) Vitamin String Quartet
6) Some soul crushing variant that I'm forgetting

With absolutely no disrespect to the wedding clients who pay my bills (lovely people, in the main), the last couple of years have seen a real uptick in the demand for this particular type of manufactured generic content - either these sort of fusty chamber ensemble readings of Radiohead songs, or these wistful, bucolic Mumford-esque versions of Taylor Swift songs**. Or both.

**(The "acoustic bullshit" seems to demand a footnote within a footnote. One of the venues I regularly performed at when I was a much younger man has - not unlike me - lost its balance over time and recently featured a very sort of gimmicky advertisement for a weekly performer whose hook was that he played "ACOUSTIC!". No more, no less. I think advance requests were encouraged. Now, I can't simulate a scenario where a person singing a song and playing an acoustic guitar is somehow novel, but...evidently, this is a thing. The same songs we all know and love/hate, but...ACOUSTIC! The notion that a person could play and sing "The Safety Dance" on non-native instrumentation is surely not something that would drive you to make plans, get dressed, pay a cover charge, lift your fucking head, really)

Now - I may not have it in me to scientifically convince you that, say, Robert Wyatt has infinitely more purpose and effect than the things I'm lamenting, but...I think we understand each other here. There is an excessive abundance of this sort of "low concept concept!" that I can only describe as the absentminded toil of very small people with very small ideas made flesh. "Ideas" feels like a lofty word in this context. There is some placebo effect that simulates some sense of "wit" or "cleverness" or "humor" (what Tim on The Office once famously referred to as "someone else's idea of wackiness"), but it really is the entertainment analogue of having my child's birthday party entertainment performed by Russian bots. It is a type of "goods and services" that somehow manages to insult humanity (or at least humans).

But, industry generates product. And it has, to one extent or another, always been thus. You've read about all the phony baloney music on Spotify or heard those "faux Beatles masters" in public places...and - to the extent that I can tell - no one is forcing anyone to consume these things.

Which may be the most depressing element of all. None of this shit would ever exist without an audience. It would dissolve, evaporate, vanish, disintegrate immediately. Sausage would assuredly not be made if no one ate sausage and paid for the privilege.

So, yes - somebody wants Postmodern Jukebox.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 11 Apr 2018, 10:18

:)

There’s definitely a stand that needs to be taken here, a “what side are you on” style line in the sand but then, this, specifically 55 seconds in

It’s enough to get you running into the arms of a kooky, faux-jazz combo.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 11 Apr 2018, 10:25

Do they think they're doing anyone any favours with this sort of crap?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 11 Apr 2018, 10:35

nev gash wrote::)

There’s definitely a stand that needs to be taken here, a “what side are you on” style line in the sand but then, this, specifically 55 seconds in

It’s enough to get you running into the arms of a kooky, faux-jazz combo.

I think RT actually pulls it off (unlike the kooky faux-jazz formula stuff).

... but I'm a fan.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 11 Apr 2018, 10:38

It’s the audience reaction, the squeals of ironic delight as the master craftsman turns his gimlet on such an unworthy pop trifle.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Apr 2018, 11:19

I hate that kind of thing too. I'd only ever be interested if it was the other way round - Britney Spears taking on a track from an Amon Duul album or something :lol: , but that never happens does it?

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Apr 2018, 12:00

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:Do they think they're doing anyone any favours with this sort of crap?

I know people, ex-BCBers among them, who absolutely lap this sort of shit up.

Tell them that a fucking 'ukelele orchestra' is going to be playing a concert of zany heavy metal cover versions at a venue near them and they're breaking out their credit cards faster than James Corden diving into a wedding buffet.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 11 Apr 2018, 12:03

The Modernist wrote:I hate that kind of thing too. I'd only ever be interested if it was the other way round - Britney Spears taking on a track from an Amon Duul album or something :lol: , but that never happens does it?

What, you've never heard One Direction's cover of 'Contort Yourself'?
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 11 Apr 2018, 12:04

I wonder when the first outbreak of this “Ooh..” was? Plenty of punk bands used to do revved-up covers I suppose but I’d guess that it’s a by-product of student Indie. I blame The Wedding Present. And Bernard Manning sings Morrissey.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 11 Apr 2018, 12:08

Starbucks

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 11 Apr 2018, 12:09

Insouciant Western People wrote:
Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:Do they think they're doing anyone any favours with this sort of crap?

I know people, ex-BCBers among them, who absolutely lap this sort of shit up.

Tell them that a fucking 'ukelele orchestra' is going to be playing a concert of zany heavy metal cover versions at a venue near them and they're breaking out their credit cards faster than James Corden diving into a wedding buffet.

:)

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 11 Apr 2018, 12:10

Perhaps?