'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Do talk back
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: I've found it!

Postby Penk! » 18 Oct 2012, 08:07

Google tells me it should actually be HannaH's Field, which somehow makes it even worse.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Show Biz Kids

Postby Show Biz Kids » 18 Oct 2012, 08:45

TheModernist wrote:At least they can cut it live... :?

:shock:

clive gash wrote:The Ting-Tings have certainly seen better days.

:mrgreen:

Show Biz Kids

Postby Show Biz Kids » 18 Oct 2012, 08:52

Organic Gypsy Reggae apparently.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Oct 2012, 12:39

TheModernist wrote:At least they can cut it live... :?

Holy fuck! I came on here to say that the I thought the Gary Numan was the worst thing on the thread but then I clicked on this. I'm crying with laughter here.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Oct 2012, 13:49

John San Juan wrote:The Four Non Blondes (or are they called 4 Non Blondes) track is bound to crop up time and again - certainly, as I see it, by being some sort of "perfect storm" of "irksome virtues". I could probably make a "Top 10 attributes of that song which make me cringe" list every day for a year with very few repeats.

I mean, that's something of an accomplishment for the artist.

But, yes - of course, by virtue of it being such a perennial in these discussions, people are bound to get sick of seeing it mentioned in this context.

I always enjoy these threads (and the Bizarro Cup) - mostly for the occasional undiscovered nugget of lousiness that we occasionally unearth.

It won't be new to BCB (I discovered it here thanks to...who was it again?), but this has given me a lot of "choked on my own vomit" joy through these past few years - and, in many ways, seems like a child of "What's Up" (among the innumerable odious similarities is the use of an acoustic guitar technique I call "the college strum").

Surely that's an outtake from Flight of the Conchords?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Oct 2012, 13:58

HannaH’s Field is growing good vibes. This gypsy reggae duo, fronted by female vocalist, guitarist and percussionist, HannaH, created their unique style when the two came together living in Portland, Oregon. HannaH and her sidekick, Bongo Bliss, the gypsy Rasta that plays bass, African drums and sings(often all at the same time), are spreading their modern-hippie-Rasta-folk all over the country.

Their new release "Music Magic Medicine" is accompanied by a vegetarian/vegan cookbook written by Chef Bliss who is a Nutritional Healer and former owner of the restaraunt "Fabadesiac". The food we ingest is the medicine that heals our bodies. The music we listen to is the magic that heals our spirits.

“HannaH goes a cappella to showcase her award winning voice, evoking of a blending of Joan Baez and Grace Slick or a somewhat subdued Janis.”
“HannaH*s Field’s latest recording, is a ‘gypsy reggae’ homage to the optimist in us all, carrying the torch of the free love generation into a new era.”
-Trevor Dye Review

“When those guys worked those drums ... all hell was breaking loose. The audience was going wild.”
Hogmama
Owner, Hogfather’s
Almost Famous Dinner Theater
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

randy_lavanga

Postby randy_lavanga » 18 Oct 2012, 14:01

penk wrote:Of course, last time we did this we established that for all the banal badness of 'What's Going On', the connoisseur's choice for the most truly evil bad song ever is 'Hey Matthew'.

Does anyone else feel a horrible amalgamation of stress, unease, nervousness and nausea while watching this? It almost feels like you're not supposed to be watching it... :?
Image All around us everything is blazing but our lips are ice...

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Oct 2012, 14:02

Goat Boy wrote:HannaH’s Field is growing good vibes. This gypsy reggae duo, fronted by female vocalist, guitarist and percussionist, HannaH, created their unique style when the two came together living in Portland, Oregon. HannaH and her sidekick, Bongo Bliss, the gypsy Rasta that plays bass, African drums and sings(often all at the same time), are spreading their modern-hippie-Rasta-folk all over the country.

Their new release "Music Magic Medicine" is accompanied by a vegetarian/vegan cookbook written by Chef Bliss who is a Nutritional Healer and former owner of the restaraunt "Fabadesiac". The food we ingest is the medicine that heals our bodies. The music we listen to is the magic that heals our spirits.

“HannaH goes a cappella to showcase her award winning voice, evoking of a blending of Joan Baez and Grace Slick or a somewhat subdued Janis.”
“HannaH*s Field’s latest recording, is a ‘gypsy reggae’ homage to the optimist in us all, carrying the torch of the free love generation into a new era.”
-Trevor Dye Review

“When those guys worked those drums ... all hell was breaking loose. The audience was going wild.”
Hogmama
Owner, Hogfather’s
Almost Famous Dinner Theater

fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Oct 2012, 16:45

I think it was toomanypillowz who introduced BCB to "Puff Puff Give", or who is always talking about it. I actually kind of like the song!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

algroth

Postby algroth » 18 Oct 2012, 18:40

Has this one been mentioned yet?

der nister

Postby der nister » 18 Oct 2012, 18:48

algroth wrote:Has this one been mentioned yet?

no, i think Coan may be actually dating her
with permission from her parents :D
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Oct 2012, 19:01

Quaco wrote:I think it was toomanypillowz who introduced BCB to "Puff Puff Give", or who is always talking about it. I actually kind of like the song!

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Short Goalie

Postby Short Goalie » 18 Oct 2012, 20:25

I'm a bit worried about the mentions of 'What's going on' as a bad record. We're not talking about Marvin Gaye here are we?
No!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 18 Oct 2012, 20:26

Stairway to Stardom was pretty awesome in general but this is a rare example of an original composition. I have a feeling she sent it off to one of those "we set your lyrics to music" kind of services.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Oct 2012, 22:49

Count Machuki wrote:
Quaco wrote:I think it was toomanypillowz who introduced BCB to "Puff Puff Give", or who is always talking about it. I actually kind of like the song!

Yeah! Yeah! It was her! Get her!

*looks nervously around*
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 18 Oct 2012, 22:53

Animal Shapes wrote:I'm a bit worried about the mentions of 'What's going on' as a bad record. We're not talking about Marvin Gaye here are we?

Not at all. These are references to the 4 Non Blondes song, which is actually called 'What's Up'. I doubt that anyone here thinks that Marvin Gaye song is a bad record.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Oct 2012, 13:29

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 19 Oct 2012, 15:37

Bobby Blue Note Cover wrote:

Yeah, Lord knows why, but this has been a pretty consistent request for all of my DJ events since it was released.

I'm not sure why any one person (let alone dozens) would feel that:

a) I would like to hear this song voluntarily a second time in my life

or

b) I would like to voluntarily have this played during my wedding reception.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Oct 2012, 19:38

I like that song. I deliberately shielded myself from overexposure to it.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Oct 2012, 18:49

Hole Doll Parts.

I heard it on the radio and couldn't believe how awful it was.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Yakety Yak”