'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Do talk back
Darkness_Fish

Re: 'What's Up?' and the very worst songs ever

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Jun 2016, 08:58

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Jun 2016, 15:23

With bonus 2013 Jim Dandy Mangrum interview:

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Jun 2016, 17:58

Black Oak did have some awesomely stoopid lyrics and that's probably the champion, but are way too much fun to be counted among "worst ever."
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Georgios

Postby Georgios » 10 Jun 2016, 21:16

That Sound Of Silence cover is the absolute pits. The bicycling bear is right about it all emanating from the Mad World update as well. Rancid nonsense.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Jun 2016, 22:07

Fish in a barrel time, but I just heard this on the radio and got really mad. This song has so much to answer for. People are still doing this shit!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

driftin

Postby driftin » 12 Jun 2016, 16:20

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 20 Sep 2017, 10:02

Magic.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Sep 2017, 15:17

Talking of getting mad at the radio, I was at the gym this morning and had had a shower and was getting ready to go to work. The music in the gym itself I can tune out with my iPod but this was music being beamed in on the television full volume. Both of these songs threw me into a rage: in fact I'm not going to post them as I don't want to share them. But look up 'Vacation' by Dirty Heads - go on- I dare you. I fucking dare you to last longer than five seconds. When you are angry, move to the next one: Most Girls by Hailee Steinfeld. Unfortunately I had dropped my bra in the shower so was holding the bra under the dryer which is situated right under the TV. I couldn't get away. In the end I just put on a wet bra and bolted. What the fuck.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Sep 2017, 15:39

Minnie the Minx wrote:But look up 'Vacation' by Dirty Heads - go on- I dare you. I fucking dare you to last longer than five seconds. When you are angry, move to the next one: Most Girls by Hailee Steinfeld. Unfortunately I had dropped my bra in the shower so was holding the bra under the dryer which is situated right under the TV. I couldn't get away. In the end I just put on a wet bra and bolted. What the fuck.

:D
With nothing better to do, I listened to all of Vacation, less than half of Most Girls. While I agree that the latter is horrid, with the autotuning and soppy lyrics designed to empower mice, I thought Vacation was just a harmless bit of feel-good summer pop music, with a mildly amusing Eminem pastiche, a couple of hooks and even a few swooping harmonies that I thought were quite nice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in hearing it again, but I can say that for thousands of tracks in my own collection, let alone ones I didn't like in the first place :) – I'd rather listen, for instance, to Vacation on a loop than Michelle, Yesterday or Moo of Kintyre, to name just three of the usual suspects.
Please note that this post is entirely about me, and in no way an adverse commentary on your reaction. I find being forced to listen to something I did not choose and cannot stop is often enraging, and when I was young(er) and inclined to passion, often acted on it (it's at least part of the reason I don't/didn't like going to gigs anything like as much as I did listening to records). But it seems that passion's spent now.
Apologies for rambling.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Sep 2017, 15:46

It's definitely Galway Girl
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Sep 2017, 15:53

WHOA THERE CHILD wrote:

Fucking awful drumming. I'm sure Toyah did much worse though.

She's currently on tour with Tony Hadley and Fish!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 20 Sep 2017, 16:51

Deebank wrote:
WHOA THERE CHILD wrote:

Everything good about 80s record making is present on the stage!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Sep 2017, 17:00

WHOA THERE CHILD wrote:
Deebank wrote:
WHOA THERE CHILD wrote:

Everything good about 80s record making is present on the stage!

Yes, but not at the same time sadly. :(
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Sep 2017, 18:27

Minnie the Minx wrote:Talking of getting mad at the radio, I was at the gym this morning and had had a shower and was getting ready to go to work. The music in the gym itself I can tune out with my iPod but this was music being beamed in on the television full volume. Both of these songs threw me into a rage: in fact I'm not going to post them as I don't want to share them. But look up 'Vacation' by Dirty Heads - go on- I dare you. I fucking dare you to last longer than five seconds. When you are angry, move to the next one: Most Girls by Hailee Steinfeld. Unfortunately I had dropped my bra in the shower so was holding the bra under the dryer which is situated right under the TV. I couldn't get away. In the end I just put on a wet bra and bolted. What the fuck.

I thought both were inoffensive at worst, although that Vacation song could get to you if it was played a lot on the radio.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Sep 2017, 18:29

bobzilla77 wrote:Black Oak did have some awesomely stoopid lyrics and that's probably the champion, but are way too much fun to be counted among "worst ever."

Worst ever. I couldn't even stand them when I was 16 and stoned half the time in the mid to late '70s.

They make Frank Marino and Pat Travers look like fucking musical geniuses.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 20 Sep 2017, 20:33

Goat Boy wrote:It's definitely Galway Girl

Yeah probably.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Sep 2017, 20:55

Quaco wrote:Fish in a barrel time, but I just heard this on the radio and got really mad. This song has so much to answer for. People are still doing this shit!

I was having lunch today at Austin Grill and heard TWO Counting Crows songs... or maybe it was one Counting Crows song and one Counting Crows Wannabe song. Insufferable then, insufferable now.

It got me thinking (again) about starting a "shit bands/artists and the great bands/artists who influenced them" thread. Counting Crows is like if Van Morrison and Bruce Springsteen had a child and spent the rest of their lives throwing up their hands and saying "Where did we go wrong??"

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Sep 2017, 21:04

Maybe if the Counting Crows dropped the first 'o' we'd have more of an idea about what to expect.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Sep 2017, 21:42

Goat Boy wrote:It's definitely Galway Girl

Just repeating this here. It is the one and only answer. Makes Counting Crows sound like the fucking Stones.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Sep 2017, 20:16

Charlie O. wrote:
Quaco wrote:Fish in a barrel time, but I just heard this on the radio and got really mad. This song has so much to answer for. People are still doing this shit!

I was having lunch today at Austin Grill and heard TWO Counting Crows songs... or maybe it was one Counting Crows song and one Counting Crows Wannabe song. Insufferable then, insufferable now.

It got me thinking (again) about starting a "shit bands/artists and the great bands/artists who influenced them" thread. Counting Crows is like if Van Morrison and Bruce Springsteen had a child and spent the rest of their lives throwing up their hands and saying "Where did we go wrong??"

Interesting idea for a thread! As Renoir says "The awful thing about life is that everyone has their reasons." The world is filled with good intentions done badly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”