Kaleidoscope (US version)

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Re: Kaleidoscope (US version)

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Mar 2012, 18:09

Jeff K wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Yup.

I'm sorry that that thread seems to have vanished forever. It belonged in Classic Threads.

I doubt Muskrat was sorry to see it vanish.

P-Cat did something similar later when he discovered an 'interview' with Glen Campbell in which Glen talks about his uncredited session work on the Stones' Exile On Main Street. I think he sang background vocals on a few songs. :lol:

White Light/White Heat, wasn't it?

In Muskrat's defense, even the Kaleidoscope member he contacted (Chris Darrow) couldn't say unequivocally that it didn't happen. :lol:

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 21 Mar 2012, 18:14

No, it was Exile. I remember Clen saying in the interview that he had problems singing "got to scrape that shit right off my shoes" on Sweet Virginia.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

packrat

Postby packrat » 21 Mar 2012, 18:25

Quaco wrote:I like Kaleidoscope a lot. They were from the area I grew up in, so they were "hometown boys" for those of us from that area. Everybody from Claremont knows who David Lindley and Chris Darrow are, and learning about the rest of the group wasn't far behind. They weren't quite what I expected when i first heard them -- I think I did expect something a little more like Led Zeppein actually, something more exotic/trippy and less rootsy -- but it didn't take long to like them for what they were.

I would dearly love to see their whole career reissued in a thorough way. Besides the albums, there are all sorts of things they did for National Geographic documentaries, various soundtracks, and so on. It would be incredible to hear what these guys did for those.

That extra work of theirs sounds really interesting indeed. Do you have any details at all as to what sort of stuff they did? As you say though, probably impossible to find though.
the rat is back - more or less!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Mar 2012, 19:05

packrat wrote:
Quaco wrote:I like Kaleidoscope a lot. They were from the area I grew up in, so they were "hometown boys" for those of us from that area. Everybody from Claremont knows who David Lindley and Chris Darrow are, and learning about the rest of the group wasn't far behind. They weren't quite what I expected when i first heard them -- I think I did expect something a little more like Led Zeppein actually, something more exotic/trippy and less rootsy -- but it didn't take long to like them for what they were.

I would dearly love to see their whole career reissued in a thorough way. Besides the albums, there are all sorts of things they did for National Geographic documentaries, various soundtracks, and so on. It would be incredible to hear what these guys did for those.

That extra work of theirs sounds really interesting indeed. Do you have any details at all as to what sort of stuff they did? As you say though, probably impossible to find though.

Encyclopedia Britannica
Roger Corman
Disney (nature shows?)
National Geographic (I seem to recall)
Captain Milkshake
Two weeks of recording for Zabriskie Point (10 original songs, a dozen takes for the desert love scene, plus miscellaneous musical cues)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Mar 2012, 19:07

Quaco wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
Muskrat wrote:Jimmy Page and probably Plant were (purportedly) fans of the band

At least as late as the mid-'70s, Page was calling them his "ideal band." Which is slightly mind-boggling.

Yeah, why didn't Led Zeppelin sound a bit more like them? Why doesn't he play music like this now that he isn't working on LZ?

Yes, to that last bit. Why doesn't he do an acoustic album or acoustic/electric. He wouldn't even need a drummer and JPJ would probably be happy to play bass.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Mar 2012, 19:13

I have Side Trips, A Beacon From Mars and Incredible Kaleidoscope on lp but I didn't discover them until after I discovered David Lindley so I don't know the albums as well as I wish I did. So many albums too little time. Sigh. I do like them a lot though. Yes they might be a little too eclectic for their own good but for people who don't mind that sort of the thing they are nothing less than astonishing in the command of both instruments and music genres.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 21 Mar 2012, 19:25

Six String wrote:Yes they might be a little too eclectic for their own good but for people who don't mind that sort of the thing they are nothing less than astonishing in the command of both instruments and music genres.

I recall them being quite popular on the L.A. scene. Of course those were the days when promoters like Bill Graham and his local counterparts would book -- and audiences would lap up -- bills like (to make up an example) the Jefferson Airplane, Miles Davis and James Cotton.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Mar 2012, 19:28

Here's one of the Disney things they contributed to:

I fondly remember watching this on The Wonderful World Of Disney when I was 4 - so I guess this was the first time I heard Kaleidoscope... maybe!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 21 Mar 2012, 19:29

Sgt Pepper wrote:Yeah, that Pulsating Dreams package is a bargain. I love that it includes the Larry Williams & Johnny Watson track that Kaleidoscope provided the session men for. A crackin' bit of psychedelic soul

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 21 Mar 2012, 20:00

Charlie O. wrote:I fondly remember watching this on The Wonderful World Of Disney when I was 4 - so I guess this was the first time I heard Kaleidoscope... maybe!

And Kurt Russell!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Mar 2012, 20:01

Brother Spoon wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:I fondly remember watching this on The Wonderful World Of Disney when I was 4 - so I guess this was the first time I heard Kaleidoscope... maybe!

And Kurt Russell!

Oh, Kurt was all over TWWOD back then!

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 21 Mar 2012, 20:05

Charlie O. wrote:
Brother Spoon wrote:

And Kurt Russell!

Oh, Kurt was all over TWWOD back then!

Way before he ended up all over Goldie Hawn.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 Mar 2012, 21:53

I bought Pulsating Dreams a while ago after people recommended it to me on here.

I never made it to the end of the first disc.

Seriously, I like a lot of psych and am quite tolerant of nonsense in that genre... but these guys were just terrible.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Mar 2012, 22:00

Personally, I don't think of them as "psych", though they dabbled a bit. I doubt that they thought of themselves as "psych".

Though some reissue labels seem to have other ideas:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Mar 2012, 22:03

penk wrote:I bought Pulsating Dreams a while ago after people recommended it to me on here.

I never made it to the end of the first disc.

Seriously, I like a lot of psych and am quite tolerant of nonsense in that genre... but these guys were just terrible.

Or maybe it's not remotely psych!

Oops, Charlie beat me to it. Didn't see that.

I think they are more of a roots/eclectic combo, soooort of like the Grateful Dead but with less of a focus on "finding their way" with long jams and more focus on Middle Eastern instruments and humor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Mar 2012, 22:21

I would agree. If Penk was told he was getting pysch with K, he was misled.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Mar 2012, 00:39

Jeff K wrote:P-Cat did something similar later when he discovered an 'interview' with Glen Campbell in which Glen talks about his uncredited session work on the Stones' Exile On Main Street.

It was JSJ, actually!(And he does bring in White Light/White Heat in a subsequent post, so I haven't completely lost my mind.)

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 23 Mar 2012, 02:02

Charlie O. wrote:
Jeff K wrote:P-Cat did something similar later when he discovered an 'interview' with Glen Campbell in which Glen talks about his uncredited session work on the Stones' Exile On Main Street.

It was JSJ, actually!(And he does bring in White Light/White Heat in a subsequent post, so I haven't completely lost my mind.)

I'm old and that was three years ago so what do you expect? :lol:

It sounded like something Phenomenal Cat would have came up with. It was funny to read it again and thanks for digging it up.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Mar 2012, 06:32

Jeff K wrote:I'm old and that was three years ago so what do you expect? :lol:

You did better than me - I didn't remember that it was about Exile at all!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Dec 2017, 21:02

Just stumbled upon this on eBay -

Last edited by Charlie O. on 07 Feb 2021, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yakety Yak”