55%

Total votes: 94

troggy

Re: Pink Floyd vs Sex Pistols

Postby troggy » 29 Aug 2011, 03:15

Jeff K wrote:
algroth wrote:
Jeff K wrote:
No, it's the Classic Rock forums and they make IMDb look open-minded in comparison.

Holy shit. :shock:

As always there's some good posters among the not-so-good. Snarfyguy and kath came from the Classic Rock forums. Then there's Foxhound and Hepcat who I shouldn't even mention because they're bound to show up again if I do.

Yeah, there are also a couple of boards by that name. The better of the two also goes by the abbreviation CRF2. Better is a relative term in this case but at least CRF2 doesn't tend to run off people with divergent tastes.

It's been quite a long time since I've seen Snarfy over there. Kath still posts on one board or the other or maybe both. There are a few other converts to this board which is infinitely superior to both.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 03:32

troggy wrote: There are a few other converts to this board which is infinitely superior to both.

I think we have a good board here. You just have to get used to the crankiness and perpetual moaning. :lol:
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Aug 2011, 04:27

I just gave the Pistols the lead. I'm not proud of it, especially as Floyd has one more great album than the Pistols do, and probably an equivalent number of great singles. I've even learned to like (if not quite love) Floyd right up 'til about '72 or so. But nothing the Pistols have ever done has irritated me near as much as Waters in full mope.

There's some balance achieved by some great things done by the other three- all good musicians (actually ol' Rog is a fine bass player too if he'd just shut his yap), Mason's one excellent solo album, his positive influence on the career of a certain Mr. Wyatt, some Gilmour guitar moments, and a whole lot of great keyboard atmospherics- but it doesn't pull it back far enough.

As much as I hate to admit it- and as much as Coan's "that's what's wrong with this place" rants are as tired and predictable as an FM station during drive time- he's right about one thing. I'll take the guys that splatter the walls and then disappear over the guys that make great art and then spend several decades dismantling it piece by piece while overstaying their welcome.
Last edited by toomanyhatz on 29 Aug 2011, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 29 Aug 2011, 05:33

the science eel wrote:
The Slider wrote:Ive read some bollocks in my time......

And what are YOU doing here? I thought you despised this place!

Confirmation
The Complete Pink Floyd Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Aug 2011, 08:21

Molony wrote:Not having been there at the time (I was 3), I don't think I have ever quite 'got' the excitement engendered by the Sex Pistols. I remember being full of expectation when I first got my hands on 'Never Mind The Bollocks' and was so surprised to hear some quite well played energetic rock. I was expecting a right racket. Don't get me wrong, I love the big hitters ('God Save the Queen', 'Anarchy in the UK') but maybe you had to be there.

I think you're right you did have to be there. For a kid back in '77 it was was really exciting and dangerous sounding music that parents hated but listening it to it these days it comes across as a bit lame and cartoonish. The Floyd album from the same year Animals actually has more bite.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 09:59

trans-chigley express wrote:
Molony wrote:Not having been there at the time (I was 3), I don't think I have ever quite 'got' the excitement engendered by the Sex Pistols. I remember being full of expectation when I first got my hands on 'Never Mind The Bollocks' and was so surprised to hear some quite well played energetic rock. I was expecting a right racket. Don't get me wrong, I love the big hitters ('God Save the Queen', 'Anarchy in the UK') but maybe you had to be there.

I think you're right you did have to be there. For a kid back in '77 it was was really exciting and dangerous sounding music that parents hated but listening it to it these days it comes across as a bit lame and cartoonish. The Floyd album from the same year Animals actually has more bite.

Not so. The pistols album was a huge disappointment at the time, as nearly all of it had been available for months. It was nearly two years late in arriving, ( as was the Scream) and all the proper punk bands had already released far superior debut albums. Only the Johnny come latelys and the bandwagon jumpers were ever interested in that miserable dog of a record.
You don't like me...do you?

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 29 Aug 2011, 10:16

Jeff K wrote:
algroth wrote:Is this IMDb you guys are talking about?

No, it's the Classic Rock forums and they make IMDb look open-minded in comparison.

And the Hoffman gorts make Classic Rock look even more open-minded.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 29 Aug 2011, 10:38

toomanyhatz wrote: I'll take the guys that splatter the walls and then disappear over the guys that make great art and then spend several decades dismantling it piece by piece while overstaying their welcome.

Well said, I concur.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 10:42

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote: I'll take the guys that splatter the walls and then disappear over the guys that make great art and then spend several decades dismantling it piece by piece while overstaying their welcome.

Well said, I concur.

Well you are both idiots.

The wall splattering was both contrived and tardy. It had been done before , and better. I understand that you need an excuse to justify your love for lite heavy metal bludgeon riffola, garnished with pubescent lyrics, and laughable whining, but to express your love to detriment of a band who made some really exceptionally good ( as well as real crap) is just stupid. Get a grip.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 29 Aug 2011, 10:53

yomptepi wrote:
Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:

Well said, I concur.

Well you are both idiots.

The wall splattering was both contrived and tardy. It had been done before , and better. I understand that you need an excuse to justify your love for lite heavy metal bludgeon riffola, garnished with pubescent lyrics, and laughable whining, but to express your love to detriment of a band who made some really exceptionally good ( as well as real crap) is just stupid. Get a grip.

I think it's you who needs to get a grip, Yomp! Settle down fer farks sake. Of course Floyd made some great stuff, there's just far too much shit in their catalogue as well. I'm no Sex Pistols devotee but I'll take a big bang over a deflating (pig-shaped) balloon on this occasion.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2011, 11:06

Waking up to see the Pistols (surprisingly) in the lead has made my day. This might mean the US BCBers know which side their bread's buttered.

I'm going out to knock over a few dustbins and shout at old people.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 11:32

the science eel wrote:Waking up to see the Pistols (surprisingly) in the lead has made my day. This might mean the US BCBers know which side their bread's buttered.

You are old people. :evil:

You really need to rein in your BCB neck John, and learn to handle this mid life crisis in a more dignified fashion. Playing punk only makes you look as ridiculous as the dumb hippies who think they are cool in voting for a potty mouthed boy band. I expect it from the west coast collective, but you really should have a little more nouse.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 29 Aug 2011, 11:47

algroth wrote:What distinction? And, no, they don't need your support, and you don't need to support them. Was I asking for it?

I think they are universally accepted as being great, and I have seen no change in the consensus. If anything, it's only strengthened through the years.
[/quote]

If you'd asked people who bought new music during the 80s or early 90s and weren't around prior to Punk they wouldn't have been accepted. when a couple of my friends got into Floyd when they went away to Uni they were sheepish and embarassed about it.

It was either Floyd or pretty much anything new, for a whole generation, they were dad music, you didn't like both. Something you bought nice new CD editions at Christmas for older relatives to play on their expensive sound systems while you made do with cassettes.

They have definitely become more accepted. Everything has, post downloading people dont have to pay the money and make the personal statement that they used to, things aren't Either/Or any more.

This is all quite specific to one or two generations of UK music fans though, I can see things have been different elsewhere. As Yompi says we are old people, the pistols are dad music too now.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2011, 12:03

yomptepi wrote:
the science eel wrote:Waking up to see the Pistols (surprisingly) in the lead has made my day. This might mean the US BCBers know which side their bread's buttered.

You are old people. :evil:

You really need to rein in your BCB neck John, and learn to handle this mid life crisis in a more dignified fashion. Playing punk only makes you look as ridiculous as the dumb hippies who think they are cool in voting for a potty mouthed boy band. I expect it from the west coast collective, but you really should have a little more nouse.

The Pistols sound as good as they ever did to me. The appeal of post-Syd PF continues to elude me, and with the wisdom that comes with age I can see that anyone raving about the torpid likes of coffee-table albums like Meddle needs to have their terminally uncool heads examined.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 12:07

the science eel wrote:
The Pistols sound as good as they ever did to me. .

There's your problem right there. You want terminally uncool. You have it.

To those of us in the know, the pistols never sounded any good.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 13:19

yomptepi wrote:
the science eel wrote:
The Pistols sound as good as they ever did to me. .

There's your problem right there. You want terminally uncool. You have it.

To those of us in the know, the pistols never sounded any good.

Pink Floyd was always an album band and the Pistols, of course, only had one. Using songs rather than albums as your criteria to judge them, has Floyd ever come up with something that tops the Pistols' first three singles? Very few bands have.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 29 Aug 2011, 13:32

Jeff K wrote:
Pink Floyd was always an album band and the Pistols, of course, only had one. Using songs rather than albums as your criteria to judge them, has Floyd ever come up with something that tops the Pistols' first three singles? Very few bands have.

Per album?
Honest question do people who dislike Floyd, do so on the basis of their music or just on the idea of a band like them could be so successful?
I run out of talent

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Aug 2011, 13:39

Jeff K wrote: has Floyd ever come up with something that tops the Pistols' first three singles?

See Emily Play certainly does.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 13:40

WG Kaspar wrote:[Honest question do people who dislike Floyd, do so on the basis of their music or just on the idea of a band like them could be so successful?

Not at all. In fact, unlike some here I enjoy quite a bit of Pink Floyd. Their success plays no part in my thinking. I just happen to dig the Pistols more.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 13:41

trans-chigley express wrote:
Jeff K wrote: has Floyd ever come up with something that tops the Pistols' first three singles?

See Emily Play certainly does.

I'll give you that.

Any more?