45%
Sex Pistols
55%

Total votes: 94

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: Pink Floyd vs Sex Pistols

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 18:14

This really is the stupidest debate I have ever read on BCB. I don't even like Pink Floyd much. They had a blue period which includes Atom Heart mother and Meddle, and i am fond of some of Wish you were here and Ummagumma. But as a rule, they bore me, and I absolutely despise the wall and the Final Cut. Even taking this into account, The Sex Pistols look like bottom of the bill at one one of Anna's punk reunion shows. Even Jeffrey Oicott would be preferable to hearing anything by the fucking pistols. The whole assumption that they were good or important is codswallop. They made one good single, and imploded. The same goes for million other bands. The Pistols mean nothing now, and they meant nothing in 1977. They were a sideshow. A pityful, ugly, third rate, untalented, ill mannered and overhyped sideshow. If you are shallow enough to consider Never Mind the Bollocks important, you need to have a word with yourself.
You don't like me...do you?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2011, 18:35

Why can't people discuss the Pistols without using red-herring words like 'important', 'ideology', 'mythology' and 'revolution'?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 19:00

They only made an impact on people who didn't already know better. The floyd made a big impact when they first appeared too. i remember stories of outrage at their drug fueled shows, and stories of lsd in sugarlumps at the door . The Pistols were nothing. less than nothing, just a sideshow in a fair that had already left town.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 19:02

the science eel wrote:Why can't people discuss the Pistols without using red-herring words like 'important', 'ideology', 'mythology' and 'revolution'?

How about rubbish, irrelevant, dumb, incompetent and useless.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2011, 19:16

Anyway. They've won. Which is only right.

Now - who's next?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 19:26

the science eel wrote:Anyway. They've won. Which is only right.

Now - who's next?

I can soon fix that you know...

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2011, 19:51

yomptepi wrote:
the science eel wrote:Anyway. They've won. Which is only right.

Now - who's next?

I can soon fix that you know...

Shameless!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 29 Aug 2011, 19:54

I haven't read the thread, but will when I get a chance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jock

Postby Jock » 29 Aug 2011, 19:59

The Pistols. Because Yomp doesn't like them :lol: Only kidding about Yomp. Pink Floyd can bore me. The Pistols never have.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 29 Aug 2011, 20:44

I see Syd's Floyd and no-Syd Floyd as two different bands and I assume the one that's being talked about here is really the no-Syd Floyd.
I quite like some of their tunes but I can't bear the lyrics so I'm not really a fan.

As for the Sex Pistols, I agree with Yomp that the album wasn't up to much but I still rate the first three singles very highly. And, yes, they did make a big splash in their day and Yomp's comments to the contrary are laughable revisionism. Doesn't mean you have to rate them but I like that sort of thing. It still makes me smile to remember that stuff.
Bugger off.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 29 Aug 2011, 23:36

As to the charge that BCB has become less argumentative and highly charged, it's probably true. I personally have less will to fight other people's views on things these days, or to sit for an hour to describe something to the best of my ability. We've been through so much together, so many of us, and much of the time we know how the other person is going to respond, how far the other person will go with something, and who is going to change and who isn't. It's funny, when there is a new person on the board asking a question, I usually get more excited about posting a passionate case for somethingorother.
Last edited by Quaco on 29 Aug 2011, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 29 Aug 2011, 23:37

yomptepi wrote:The floyd made a big impact when they first appeared too. i remember stories of outrage at their drug fueled shows, and stories of lsd in sugarlumps at the door.

Not strictly on-topic, but Rob Chapman's excellent recent book on Syd Barrett, A Very Irregular Head punctures several of the myths about Syd-era Floyd and drugs. Yes, they took some drugs but several of the stories are just that, stories.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

algroth

Postby algroth » 30 Aug 2011, 00:54

Jimmy Jazz wrote:No man born with a living soul
can be voting for the Pink Floyd.

Well, I did, precisely because I have a living soul. :D

Do the Sex Pistols believe in souls anyways? :?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Aug 2011, 01:10

What about those of us who were constituted by adding water to Quik-E Human™ powder? Can we vote for Pink Floyd?

[youtube]9fOU7rdlFT4&feature=related[/youtube]

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 Aug 2011, 03:38

Jimmy Jazz wrote:No man born with a living soul
can be voting for the Pink Floyd.

That explains my vote, I suppose.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

yellowjacket

Postby yellowjacket » 30 Aug 2011, 13:03

This is a somewhat surprising poll because the only thing in common that these bands posses is they both came from the UK......Their music is not even close to being similar and it is foolish to try to put them in the same sentence......For the record I like Pink Floyd much better because they actually had a body of work that could be considered a career of quality music.
How would you like to be remembered? Oh I don't know. I suppose if we are remembered as a great little rock and roll band it would be fine.........

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 30 Aug 2011, 17:43

yellowjacket wrote:Their music is not even close to being similar and it is foolish to try to put them in the same sentence...

Here we go with this fucking bullshit again.

Similarities don't come into it when pitting one artist against other.

algroth

Postby algroth » 30 Aug 2011, 18:04

the science eel wrote:
yellowjacket wrote:Their music is not even close to being similar and it is foolish to try to put them in the same sentence...

Yes they do, a qualitative comparison is based on similarities, and their success at every aspect.

The reason why I can say I like Pink Floyd better is because there's no way I enjoy Nevermind the Bollocks as much as Meddle for what they try to achieve, but I enjoy each for different purposes. The same way I'm not going to go to Meddle to get aggressive upbeat music, I'm not going to go to Nevermind the Bollocks for an immersive sensorial experience either (or at least not the kind Pink Floyd offers). The thing is, for the reason I'd go with the Pistols, I'd often rather go with PiL, Minutemen or Stooges instead. Now those would be impossible to pit against Floyd, in my mind.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 30 Aug 2011, 18:20

algroth wrote:
the science eel wrote:

Yes they do, a qualitative comparison is based on similarities, and their success at every aspect.

The reason why I can say I like Pink Floyd better is because there's no way I enjoy Nevermind the Bollocks as much as Meddle for what they try to achieve, but I enjoy each for different purposes. The same way I'm not going to go to Meddle to get aggressive upbeat music, I'm not going to go to Nevermind the Bollocks for an immersive sensorial experience either (or at least not the kind Pink Floyd offers). The thing is, for the reason I'd go with the Pistols, I'd often rather go with PiL, Minutemen or Stooges instead. Now those would be impossible to pit against Floyd, in my mind.

You can pit whoever you want against whoever you want. It doesn't matter.

We've reached 10 pages and it's been fun. Which is more than you can say for most threads here.

Andrew Lou Goldman
Footy gives me a boner

Postby Andrew Lou Goldman » 30 Aug 2011, 18:26

Reading this thread, the first thing that came to my mind was:

"Well keep going, chief. Keep going. Go on, you've got another ten seconds. Say something outrageous."

Return to “Yakety Yak”