45%
Sex Pistols
55%

Total votes: 94

algroth

Re: Pink Floyd vs Sex Pistols

Postby algroth » 29 Aug 2011, 16:56

the science eel wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Punk rock is every bit the 'Dad Music' that Pink Floyd is.

It is, in the sense that middle-aged Dads listen to it.

I'm not getting into theories - they're bullshit - the fact is that the Pistols' music is more fun and more exciting than anything Pink Floyd put out once Syd locked his front door. And that's it - whoever listens, whenever they listen. There's no debate there, no discussion. Try, if you want - you'd look even more foolish.

I disagree, so it's not a fact.

der nister

Postby der nister » 29 Aug 2011, 16:56

the science eel wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Punk rock is every bit the 'Dad Music' that Pink Floyd is.

It is, in the sense that middle-aged Dads listen to it.

I'm not getting into theories - they're bullshit - the fact is that the Pistols' music is more fun and more exciting than anything Pink Floyd put out once Syd locked his front door. And that's it - whoever listens, whenever they listen. There's no debate there, no discussion. Try, if you want - you'd look even more foolish.

says the man pictured sniffing nappies, knickers, a stranger's undergarments :?

this is turning into a Simpsons' episode on dadrock revolutions
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 16:57

algroth wrote: but there was still a willingness to move beyond covered terrain and to expand on interesting musical ideas.

I strongly disagree with you there. After Dark Side they kept repeating the same successful formula, both musically and lyrically, over and over again.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 16:58

Jeff K wrote:
algroth wrote: but there was still a willingness to move beyond covered terrain and to expand on interesting musical ideas.

I strongly disagree with you there. After Dark Side they kept repeating the same successful formula, both musically and lyrically, over and over again.

Oh, but you can't say that about punk rock?

algroth

Postby algroth » 29 Aug 2011, 17:02

Jeff K wrote:

I don't think so. Wish You Were Here and Animals had a lot more going to them in terms of structure and musical composition than Dark Side of the Moon ever did, for starters, the latter abandoning the classic song format that dominated DSOTM and which the Floyd was clearly so shite at by this point. Animals in particular has a general darkness and isolation to tracks like "Dogs" that are well beyond whatever sonic fluff was there in those previous two albums. Maybe this is a bit of a return to the Meddle days (and, heh, for me it's a return to form as well), but it's certainly different to what they had been doing in this new stage. It has a life of its own, as far as I feel.
Last edited by algroth on 29 Aug 2011, 17:06, edited 3 times in total.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 17:04

Matt Wilson wrote:Oh, but you can't say that about punk rock?

Most of my favorite punk bands didn't stick around long enough to get in a rut like that.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Aug 2011, 17:07

Matt Wilson wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Don't take it so seriously, Anna.

Ok then.
Just out of interest though, what do women do in Matt world?

They marry Texans.

I'm surrounded by women and always have been. They're about as much of a mystery to me as a Nancy Drew novel. What on earth are you getting at this time?

You were just busy telling us that punk only meant stuff to men.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 17:07

Jeff K wrote:

Most of my favorite punk bands didn't stick around long enough to get in a rut like that.

Right, but a champion of punk rock can hardly discredit bands of other genres because their music stayed the same when most punk rock sounds exactly the same.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2011, 17:08

Matt Wilson wrote:
Jeff K wrote:

Right, but a champion of punk rock can hardly discredit bands of other genres because their music stayed the same when most punk rock sounds exactly the same.

I disagree, so it's not a fact.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 17:14

Minnie the Minx wrote:You were just busy telling us that punk only meant stuff to men.

:lol:

And that makes me a misogynist in Anna world? You really need to stop reading my stuff then. It's not for the faint of heart. I can't spit out a multi-paragraph rant and remember to include middle aged, female punk rockers just for political correctness. You seem to need a lot of clarification when examining my ramblings.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Aug 2011, 17:15

Matt Wilson wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:You were just busy telling us that punk only meant stuff to men.

And that makes me a misogynist in Anna world? You really need to stop reading my stuff then. It's not for the faint of heart. I can't spit out a multi-paragraph rant and remember to include middle aged, female punk rockers just for political correctness. You seem to need a lot of clarification when examining my ramblings.

No, you're just a delight to wind up :lol:

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 17:15

Matt Wilson wrote:Right, but a champion of punk rock can hardly discredit bands of other genres because their music stayed the same when most punk rock sounds exactly the same.

No, I was just challenging algroth's assertion that they continued to expand and grow up until Animals. Hell, if I was in a band who played music as uncommercial as Pink Floyd did and suddenly became popular I'd be milking that formula too. I'd be singing about daddy with pigs flying overhead for all its worth.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Aug 2011, 17:17

Jeff K wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote: I'd be singing about daddy with pigs flying overhead for all its worth.

*cough*

Dr Markus wrote:

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 17:18

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

No, you're just a delight to wind up :lol:

Which I don't think you ever really have. It's more of the eye-raising slightly smiling while shaking my head reaction. Still, you must get some satisfaction out of it since you're still coming up with questions, so I'm happy to be of service.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Aug 2011, 17:20

Good lad!

Dr Markus wrote:

der nister

Postby der nister » 29 Aug 2011, 17:22

both bands have great mythology
even if Floyd had ceased after Syd had left
they would be the Pistols equal, output and mythology wise
the Pistols may mean more in the UK culturally
but besides empty nihilism, what else?

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 17:26

zphage wrote:the Pistols may mean more in the UK culturally

Ummm....some damned good music in their short time together?

Why do all the nay-sayers seem to think we only like the Pistols for what they appeared to represent? They were a fantastic rock and roll band. If you can't see that then you might as well stick to your Judas Priest.

der nister

Postby der nister » 29 Aug 2011, 17:29

Jeff K wrote:

Why do all the nay-sayers seem to think we only like the Pistols for what they appeared to represent? They were a fantastic rock and roll band. If you can't see that then you might as well stick to your Judas Priest.

4 songs and an album fleshed out with some subpar metal?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 17:32

Jeff K wrote:

I like both bands, as you well know, Jeff. So I'm not a naysayer. There's nothing in the Floyd catelog as exciting as those '76 - '77 Pistols singles. In fact "exciting" isn't a word I'd ever use to describe the music of Pink Floyd. But there's no comparing one great album (and it's the singles which are great) to the catelog of a band who was pretty good (in my estimation) from '67 - '79. It's because I like both bands that I can choose one over the other because of the quantity of good music.

Most of the people on this thread who are choosing the Pistols over Floyd don't really like Floyd at all, or they only like the Syd stuff.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2011, 18:07

Jeff K wrote:Why do all the nay-sayers seem to think we only like the Pistols for what they appeared to represent? They were a fantastic rock and roll band. If you can't see that then you might as well stick to your Judas Priest.

I don't see any difference between Judas Priest and the Sex Pistols. They were both very mediocre heavy metal bands.
You don't like me...do you?

Return to “Yakety Yak”