The Jazz Workshop #2

Do talk back
Six String

Re: The Jazz Workshop #2

Postby Six String » 03 Jan 2017, 20:42

In those GQ photos I couldn't help notice how much weight Tyner has last compare to the turn of the century. Lean and mean.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 04 Jan 2017, 14:21

My top 40 jazz albums of 2016.

A good but not spectacular year. The last ten or twelve on this list I've only listened to 2 or 3 times. The top 15 or so I'd widely recommend.

1. Charlie Haden Liberation Orchestra – Time/Life
2. Brad Mehldau Trio – Blues and Ballads
3. Keith Jarrett – A Multitude of Angels
4. Greg Ward – Touch My Beloved’s Thought
5. Melanie De Biasio – Blackened Cities
6. Avishai Cohen – Into The Silence
7. Michael Wollny Trio - Klangspuren
8. Neil Cowley Trio – Spacebound Apes
9. Billy Charlap Trio – Notes From New York
10. The Comet is Coming – Channel The Spirits

11. Dinosaur – Together, As One
12. The Cookers – The Call of the Wild and Peaceful Heart
13. Jasper Hoiby – Fellow Creatures
14. GoGo Penguin – Man Made Object
15. Marius Neset and London Sinfonietta – Snowmelt
16. Danielson, Neset, Lund – Sun Blowing
17. Mats Eilertsen - Rubicon
18. Iiro Rantala – How Long Is Now?
19. Mammal Hands – Floa
20. Joachim Kuhn Trio – Beauty & Truth

21. Gerard Presencer and Danish Radio– Groove Travels
22. Joshua Redman & Brad Mehldau – Nearness
23. Michel Benita –River Silver
24. Wolfgang Muthspiel – Rising Grace
25. Michael Formanek Ensemble Kolossus – The Distance
26. Ralph Alessi – Quiver
27. Nat Birchall – Creation
28. Fred Hersch –Sunday Night at the Vanguard
29. Tord Gustavsen – What Was Said
30. Cyrus Chestnut – Natural Essence

31. Kenny Garrett – Do Your Dance!
32. Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra – EST Symphony
33. Phronesis - Parallax
34. Jacob Bro - Streams
35. Hiromi – Spark
36. Aki Rissanen – Amorandom
37. Melt Yourself Down – Last Evenings on Earth
38. Eyolf Dale – Wolf Valley
39. Nils Petter Molvaer – Buoyancy
40. Michelson Morley – Strange Courage

If you like Mingus big band then listen to the Greg Ward
If you like the classic trio then listen to the Brad Mehldau or the Bill Charlap
If you like electronic Miles listen to the Dinosaur
If you like 50s Miles listen to the the Cohen
If you like EST then hear the GoGo Penguin or Mammal Hands
If you like you jazz a bit punky and edgy then listen to The Comet is Coming
If you like classic Hard Bop listen to the Cookers
Last edited by Spec on 04 Jan 2017, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 04 Jan 2017, 14:31

Thanks, Spec, i'm gonna check some of those out.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jan 2017, 22:53

Donny McCasslin's is on a lot but of critic's lists for 2016. Haven't heard it yet though I heard some of the songs at his show a few weeks ago.

NP Wynton Kelly - Piano (Riverside) Japanese XRCD mastered by the great Alan Yoshida. 8-)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Jan 2017, 16:10

So Joachim Kühn has a new trio album? Cool! I've lost track of him.

Has anyone else heard Nels Cline's album Lovers? It's very different from his usual stuff. Very much a romantic album with lots of instruments. It reminds me a little of Herbie Hancock's The Prisoner or Speaks Like A Child but again, more pf a romantic mood album. It still has some hallmark bits of Nels here and there. Very adventurous for him.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

jl

Postby jl » 14 Jan 2017, 07:31

Thanks for that list, I've often been pleasantly surprised by contemporary jazz.

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jan 2017, 05:30

Yes, thanks for posting your thoughts. You're always bringing up names I'm not familiar with which means I'm back sliding. :D
I ordered the Jarrett set last night after coming up empty handed in my local b&m. I ordered Nels Cline on vinyl after listening to my friemd's cd version. It sounds really good to me so I hope that means that the vinyl will sound even better!? We'll see.
I'm loving the music either way. He did some cool interpretations of standards but he also did a lot of work with Julian Lage and a jost of others to create some music that would blend with the standards. It might not be enough for those who only like his skronk but he really did create some great original music and he still managed to get some of his "sounds" in the mix. The arranger did a terrific job with the larger group bits in particular. It'll be a stretch for a lot of fans. Maybe I should wait until all the used copies start popping up in the local shops. :idea:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jan 2017, 05:21

Speaking of Nels Cline, I bought an album made in 1986 by Quartet Music (about as original as The Band) and their first album Window On The Lake. It features Nels on acoustic guitar, his brother Alex on percussion, Jeff Gauthier on violn and viola and Eric Von Essen on everything else that ncluding piano and bass. It's got an Oregon type sound to my ears. Percussion is subtle in a lot of places. It was a fun discovery in that it isn't easy to pigeon hole. The
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Jan 2017, 12:41

On yellow vinyl :)

Includes the definitive 25 minute version of "Make a List (Make a Wish)".
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jan 2017, 23:07

clive gash wrote:Image

On yellow vinyl :)

Includes the definitive 25 minute version of "Make a List (Make a Wish)".

You've reminded me that I still need that one to complete the set. Laurie Pepper has do e a good job of currating Art's music.

I have the new Keith Jarrett four disc set heading my way. It sounds like these might be the last of this type that he records.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Jan 2017, 20:05

Jessica Williams Trio - Time To Burn (Red & Blue)

Recorded live at Jazz Alley in Seattle.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Jan 2017, 04:10

Keith Jarrett's new one A Multitude Of Angels, four nights in a week in 1996 where he played his last full on solo improv shows without intermission. Beautiful sound from his DAT and highend microphones. I'm going to listen to one a day as it's too intense to take on more. I want to give it my full attention and experience it fresh as the audience did. No multi-tasking.

If you're not a fan, you probably don't need to bother but of you are and the rest of this set is as good as Modena, it's a no brainer. I'll be back. Anyone else want to chime in on these recordings?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Jan 2017, 16:03

Jan Garbarek - Dis (ECM) with Ralph Towner.

I don't like everything Garbarek has done but this is very good. A wind harp is used on some tracks to give it some cool background drones to play off of.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 21 Jan 2017, 18:17

Six String wrote:So Joachim Kühn has a new trio album? Cool! I've lost track of him.

Yes. He does a couple of nice Doors covers on it.

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Jan 2017, 22:10

Interesting. Thanks.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 24 Jan 2017, 20:08

Six String wrote:Keith Jarrett's new one A Multitude Of Angels, four nights in a week in 1996 where he played his last full on solo improv shows without intermission. Beautiful sound from his DAT and highend microphones. I'm going to listen to one a day as it's too intense to take on more. I want to give it my full attention and experience it fresh as the audience did. No multi-tasking.

If you're not a fan, you probably don't need to bother but of you are and the rest of this set is as good as Modena, it's a no brainer. I'll be back. Anyone else want to chime in on these recordings?

Yes. I love it. I'm not the best person to judge as Jarrett can do little wrong for me and I'm very forgiving. But some of the pieces on these sets are quite wonderful.

Like the Sun Bear set there is a lot to take in and I need more time with it. The Modena set is great but I think my favourite piece is Pt 2 of Genova and the first blues / almost boogie woogie encore. The first part of Genova I'm less keen on, although the last ten minutes are excellent.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Jan 2017, 23:41

Spec wrote:
Six String wrote:Keith Jarrett's new one A Multitude Of Angels, four nights in a week in 1996 where he played his last full on solo improv shows without intermission. Beautiful sound from his DAT and highend microphones. I'm going to listen to one a day as it's too intense to take on more. I want to give it my full attention and experience it fresh as the audience did. No multi-tasking.

Yes. I love it. I'm not the best person to judge as Jarrett can do little wrong for me and I'm very forgiving. But some of the pieces on these sets are quite wonderful.

Like the Sun Bear set there is a lot to take in and I need more time with it. The Modena set is great but I think my favourite piece is Pt 2 of Genova and the first blues / almost boogie woogie encore. The first part of Genova I'm less keen on, although the last ten minutes are excellent.

I too give Jarrett a lot of rope. I like the first two evenings a lot more than the third and I've yet to hear Genova. The first two have a lot of long melodies which goes far in my book to inviting repeated listenings. The third seemed to have either smaller clusters of melody or more angular bits which I don't dislike but too much at one setting makes it less likely to play it a lot.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Jan 2017, 05:03

NP Keith Jarrett Trio. - Somewhere (ECM)
One of my favorite studio recordings by The Standards Trio. If this was their last then they certainly ended on a high note. Pun intended. ;)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 26 Jan 2017, 19:51

Six String wrote:NP Keith Jarrett Trio. - Somewhere (ECM)
One of my favorite studio recordings by The Standards Trio. If this was their last then they certainly ended on a high note. Pun intended. ;)

Is this the one from 2013? That's a live album and is great. Not my favourite but still great. The Somewhere/Everywhere number, however, is one of my favourite tracks. 20 wonderful minutes that feels half the length but that I wish would go on twice as long.

NP Keith Jarrett Trio - Still Live

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Jan 2017, 21:25

Spec wrote:
Six String wrote:NP Keith Jarrett Trio. - Somewhere (ECM)

Is this the one from 2013? That's a live album and is great. Not my favourite but still great. The Somewhere/Everywhere number, however, is one of my favourite tracks. 20 wonderful minutes that feels half the length but that I wish would go on twice as long.

NP Keith Jarrett Trio - Still Live

Yes, that's the one. I wouldn't say it is the best but since it was released I find myself listening to it regularly when I'm in the mood for some Jarrett. It's more in the way it creates and sustains a mood or feel that is connecting with me these days.

I should return to those earlier Standards Trio recordings. It's been a long while.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”