The Jazz Workshop #2

Do talk back
Six String

Re: The Jazz Workshop #2

Postby Six String » 28 Jan 2017, 04:15

I forgot it was live but I only have it on my iPad. I guess I'm used to the loud and long applause on his live solo albums. I usually grab the remote at the end of a song to escape them. I hardly notice it on SomeWhere.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 28 Jan 2017, 11:38

"Expectations" is getting a reissue next month, I've never come across it before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expecta ... rett_album)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Jan 2017, 20:35

clive gash wrote:"Expectations" is getting a reissue next month, I've never come across it before.

That is one of his early albums that I don't have. In fact I'm a little light on the "American Quartet" albums. I still see it used on vinyl fairly regularly. I think that is his least popular phase with today's music buying public.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 29 Jan 2017, 09:33

clive gash wrote:"Expectations" is getting a reissue next month, I've never come across it before.

I find it a strange album. It is quite 'free' and is like some of the work he was doing with Miles. The percussion is great. It also has guitar and strings and Jarrett plays sax and organ too. Worth hearing but not one I return to very often.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Feb 2017, 04:30

After reading an interview with Charlie Haden in the blog Do The Math with Ethan Iverson I feel a need to investigate more of Jarrett's Impulse titles.

For those who don't know that site, I recommend it. Iverson for those who aren't aware is the pianist n the Bad Plus and his interviews are very insightful as you would expect for someone currently working as a musician and a fan of the history of the music. There's other stuff on tge sight as well. Note the black icon on the left of the screen.

https://ethaniverson.com/interviews/

NP Charlie Haden's Quartet West - Always Say Goodbye (Verve)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 07 Feb 2017, 18:20

Six String wrote:After reading an interview with Charlie Haden in the blog Do The Math with Ethan Iverson I feel a need to investigate more of Jarrett's Impulse titles.

For those who don't know that site, I recommend it. Iverson for those who aren't aware is the pianist n the Bad Plus and his interviews are very insightful as you would expect for someone currently working as a musician and a fan of the history of the music. There's other stuff on tge sight as well. Note the black icon on the left of the screen.

https://ethaniverson.com/interviews/

NP Charlie Haden's Quartet West - Always Say Goodbye (Verve)

Great. Thanks. I like Iverson's blog.

The Charlie Haden Liberation Orchestra album from last year was my favourite album of the year. It's a mixture of two tracks from Haden's last ever show with a number of studio performances. Carla Bley is the arranger.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Feb 2017, 22:36

It's on my short list.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Feb 2017, 22:53

hey jazzbos

to very little notice on Now Playing, I, Count Machuki, just wrote:guys this is VERY good

if you're one of those that remembered people still make jazz after hearing Kamasi Washington get the fuck on with this:

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Feb 2017, 23:07

Thanks Count. I shall give it a listen after my Betty Carter cd.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 09 Feb 2017, 11:29

This is the best new jazz album I've heard so far this year and is highly recommended.

Following taken from All About Jazz:

Pianist Colin Vallon seems on the verge of a creative breakthrough with his new trio album Danse. With his third ECM trio release Vallon has cemented a personal approach to his music; it is one that has taken time to unfold much like many of his compositions. In his writing, as well as group interplay, the pianist has made a science of exploring open spaces and filling them with nuanced textures or opting for minimalism.

Vallon's influences include not only the familiar names of Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis and Gyögy Ligeti but pop artists like Thom Yorke (Radiohead) and Björk. Here the pianist reunites with bassist Patrice Moret and drummer Julian Sartorius, both from his all-Swiss group on Le Vent (2015). Moret has been a working colleague for more than a decade and Sartorius had replaced Samuel Roher following Rruga (2014) and other pre-ECM albums.

The eleven compositions on Danse do not so much move the needle forward for Vallon and company as they do further refine the composer's excellent compositions. Having written nine of the eleven tracks on the album he clearly keeps the strengths of Moret and Sartorius in mind. The opening "Sisyphe" is an exquisite piece that demonstrates the perfect synergy between Vallon and Moret. Classical influences are apparent in "Tsunami" even as Sartorius' propulsion creates a tautness and—eventually—alters the motif. The title track offers a more intentionally disjointed relationship between piano and bass surprisingly held together by Sartorius while "L'onde" is more upbeat and pleasantly off-kilter. The drummer's light and musical touch can be best be appreciated on the beautiful "Kid" and that atmosphere bleeds into the brief "Reste." The album closes out with the hypnotic "Morn" and a second variation of "Reste."

Vallon has yet to find a broader and well-deserved audience in the US but that is logically a matter of time with three attention-demanding ECM releases. Much of his music exemplifies tranquility, even in the quirkier numbers, but there is always a restive quality, a tension that holds one's consideration and makes this more than a minimal experience. Danse has moments of unsurpassed beauty, offset by inventive, searching passages that portend the unexpected paths Vallon journeys down.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Feb 2017, 12:22

Count Machuki wrote:hey jazzbos

to very little notice on Now Playing, I, Count Machuki, just wrote:guys this is VERY good

if you're one of those that remembered people still make jazz after hearing Kamasi Washington get the fuck on with this:

Listened to that this morning and liked it a lot. Cheers Count!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Feb 2017, 14:57

Alright, man! Glad you enjoyed.
I'l check out that other on my next walk, spec.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Feb 2017, 04:42

Yes, I dug it too Count. Thanks for posting.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Feb 2017, 04:48

Spec wrote:This is the best new jazz album I've heard so far this year and is highly recommended.

Following taken from All About Jazz:

Pianist Colin Vallon seems on the verge of a creative breakthrough with his new trio album Danse. With his third ECM trio release Vallon has cemented a personal approach to his music; it is one that has taken time to unfold much like many of his compositions. In his writing, as well as group interplay, the pianist has made a science of exploring open spaces and filling them with nuanced textures or opting for minimalism.

Vallon's influences include not only the familiar names of Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis and Gyögy Ligeti but pop artists like Thom Yorke (Radiohead) and Björk. Here the pianist reunites with bassist Patrice Moret and drummer Julian Sartorius, both from his all-Swiss group on Le Vent (2015). Moret has been a working colleague for more than a decade and Sartorius had replaced Samuel Roher following Rruga (2014) and other pre-ECM album.

The eleven compositions on Danse do not so much move the needle forward for Vallon and company as they do further refine the composer's excellent compositions. Having written nine of the eleven tracks on the album he clearly keeps the strengths of Moret and Sartorius in mind. The opening "Sisyphe" is an exquisite piece that demonstrates the perfect synergy between Vallon and Moret. Classical influences are apparent in "Tsunami" even as Sartorius' propulsion creates a tautness and—eventually—alters the motif. The title track offers a more intentionally disjointed relationship between piano and bass surprisingly held together by Sartorius while "L'onde" is more upbeat and pleasantly off-kilter. The drummer's light and musical touch can be best be appreciated on the beautiful "Kid" and that atmosphere bleeds into the brief "Reste." The album closes out with the hypnotic "Morn" and a second variation of "Reste."

Vallon has yet to find a broader and well-deserved audience in the US but that is logically a matter of time with three attention-demanding ECM releases. Much of his music exemplifies tranquility, even in the quirkier numbers, but there is always a restive quality, a tension that holds one's consideration and makes this more than a minimal experience. Danse has moments of unsurpassed beauty, offset by inventive, searching passages that portend the unexpected paths Vallon journeys down.

Consider my interest piqued. Will check them out. Scratch that, I bought it on iTunes to preview next week when I'll have time to listen to it. It sounds like text book (ECM) but I don't mean that in a disparaging way.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Feb 2017, 00:12

Junko Onishi Trio - Wow (Somethin' Else)
A fabulous pianist that doesn't stir up a lot of interest outside a f her country. This is her first album before her international debut on Blue Note. Lots of sparks on this one. Wow indeed.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 14 Feb 2017, 10:05

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Mar 2017, 05:15

I caught Ben Allison's new band The Free Thinkers last nght. My stupid computer erased my review so I'll be back tomorrow with that. They were wonderful. If you are on the west coast check out their schedule.

http://benallison.com/
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Mar 2017, 08:31

Sadly, we have lost another jazz great, with the passing of pianist Horace Parlan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/arts ... .html?_r=0

RIP and thank you, Mr. Parlan.

And a documentary for jazz and Parlan fans...

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 02 Mar 2017, 17:37

Say what?!

RIP

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 02 Mar 2017, 17:37

fange wrote:Sadly, we have lost another jazz great, with the passing of pianist Horace Parlan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/arts ... .html?_r=0

RIP and thank you, Mr. Parlan.

And a documentary for jazz and Parlan fans...

Return to “Yakety Yak”