The Jazz Workshop #2

Do talk back
fange
100% fangetastic

Re: The Jazz Workshop #2

Postby fange » 06 May 2011, 16:15

Spec wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:
Fangedango! wrote: been really getting into some Oscar Peterson too recently, a guy with incredible talent but who, a bit like Gene Harris, seems to get disregarded a bit coz his releases were largely more mainstream than fashionable edgy.

Amen to that. Recently got On The Town, gave it daily plays for about a week. I have a long standing love for the albums with Ben Webster, gorgeous music.

Ditto. I like Peterson a lot. He's a great pianist but as you say is often ignored because his work was a bit mainstream.

I like the Blue Note set he did very late in his recording career http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Blue-Note-Oscar-Peterson/dp/B0002VEXE6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1304669592&sr=8-14

I'm really glad to hear that others have been enjoying Peterson too, such a talented pianist and he had such a long and fascinating career. I must check out that BN stuff, Spec, not heard it before - and totally agree with you, John aka Josh, the stuff Webster and Peterson did together is all wonderful.

This is one of my favourite clips of him with two of the greatest bassists ever, so joyous and beautiful...

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 May 2011, 17:20

My absolute favorite Oscar Peterson recordings are the ones released on MPS originally in a series titles Exclussively for My Friends. I believe it was six albums altogether that were collected together as a 4 cd set. Three discs are in the trio format and one is solo, recorded in front of a small audience. The audience is very laid back and unobtrusive, yet obviously listening intently. It inspires O.P. to great heights. I run across the one of the lps occasionally in used stores but I'm quite happy with the cd version.

Another good live collection is his run at a famous Chicago club, The London House. Some of it was released as single lps shortly after being recorded but a little more than ten years ago Verve released it all on cd as a set. One of the albums was called The Trio which might seem boastful but it was Oscar with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen; the recordings show the title was not chosen without merit. The audience is more noticeable on these recordings which isn't necessarily a bad thing but these recordings are not as laid back as the MPS collection. This is a trio on the job as they say and they are playing like underdogs trying to prove themselves.

Another favorite of mine is the album Night Train also on Verve. I was lucky to find a nice vinyl copy at a yard sale in my in-law's neighborhood years ago for a couple of bucks. It's considered one of his best albums and I agree. Highly recomended.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 May 2011, 18:27

Fangedango! wrote:Yep, that does sound terrific! When's that from Snarfy? I like all those guys on the cover - been really getting into some Oscar Peterson too recently, a guy with incredible talent but who, a bit like Gene Harris, seems to get disregarded a bit coz his releases were largely more mainstream than fashionable edgy.

The back cover lists various recording dates in the mid-50s, but the album wasn't released until 1966, I think it was, according to allmusic.

It's hard to find info on it on the web, perhaps because it was part of a subsidiary label, buget-priced series. As such, it's unlikely that it even saw a CD release, which I suppose qualifies it as 'obscure.'
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 07 May 2011, 00:13

Six String wrote: My absolute favorite Oscar Peterson recordings are the ones released on MPS originally in a series titles Exclusively for My Friends.

Thanks for the heads up, onto my 'to be acquired' list.

Six String wrote:Another favorite of mine is the album Night Train also on Verve.

Another good one. Often play it when my class are coming in for registration.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 May 2011, 01:18

John aka Josh wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Six String wrote:Dollar Brand/Abdullah Ibrahim - African Market Place

Let me know what you think of that, will you?

I used to have and it and I really liked it (and that was before I liked any jazz), but it got lost somewhere along the way. I can't have heard it in over 20 years now. I don't even remember what it sounded like anymore.

It's a gem. Carlos Ward plays really well. A great mix of african music, r & b riffing & jazz creating a primal sound that never fails to move me.

Thanks for reminding me to pick this up.

NP:

Nice old vinyl pressing and excellent musicianship on display as you'd expect from this band.

I'm not a huge fan of atonality though. It's a bit "out" for me.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 May 2011, 03:10

I really enjoy the albums by Abdullah Ibrahim that feature Carlos Ward. He adds so much to that music. Like Ibrahim, he manages to play jazz while preserving the African influence which makes the music so exciting to me. It's never been released on cd but Ibrahim did an album titled Ekaya which was also the name he gave to the group of musicians who played on it and one or two others, and it's really great. Don't hesitate to buy it unless it's going for silly money.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 08 May 2011, 20:37

My most played jazz album these last few years - I just love it so much. I've threatened to start a thread about it so many times.....and one day I will. :)

Everything I like about music is in here, and every time I listen, I just get more and more from it. I could just listen to one player and focus my attention on their playing and that in itself would be rewarding enough. The title track is just spectacular - it is loose, playful, plenty of space for the players....

And Bobby Hutcherson is almost the unsung hero of this session - the way he dances around all the other players is amazing to listen to; you don't even notice the absence of a piano in the set up because he fills any gaps so perfectly (and likewise he doesn't feel the need to be flashy and all over the whole thing). Oh, and Freddie Hubbard plays some incredible solos. The fact that he isn't completely overshadowed by Dolphy says it all really.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 08 May 2011, 21:13

Ahhh, that Dolphy was really great.

Just started listening to this for the first time in a long time (I always forget I have two Philip Cohran albums as they are mini replicas and get lost in the collection a bit!).

It's a 1968 live set that purports to tell the life story of Malcolm X - it has shades of Mingus/Ellington in parts, with a larger band setting (12 members) and featured soloists. The sound quality is good, it isn't perfect, but you get a real sense of being there - it's a little rough around the edges, but I don;t mind that here. And you can kinda ignore the bigger concept if you like, the music is blues based jazz, but has a nice groove to it as well. So it isn't what you might be expecting. The liner notes are pretty funny in the way they are relatively humourless - letting the listener know that the reason for the crowd applause in the middle of one of the tracks is because the featured belly dancer had just left the stage! I was trying to imagine the whole scene!

Phil Cohran is an interesting guy though - he was a founding member of the AACM (Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians) which was set up to support musicians who were playing some adventurous things at the time (I don't know if it is still running); members included the likes of Anthony Braxton, Henry Threadgill, Wadada Leo Smith.....some really interesting jazz guys, most of whom I have been exploring this year. I have another Cohran set, 'On the Beach', which I like even more than this one - I'll play it next!

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 08 May 2011, 22:25

Balboa wrote:Image

Oh, and Freddie Hubbard plays some incredible solos. The fact that he isn't completely overshadowed by Dolphy says it all really.

As much as I love Dolphy -ain't nobody going to overshadow Freddie. Posted this on facebook a couple of days ago, but of course this is the place for it:

Spec

Postby Spec » 10 May 2011, 13:33

BBC's Jazz on 3 has gone off the boil a bit this year - more a case of us growing apart than anything else as the presenter seems to be going for more and more improv. However, this week's programme with Django Bates is worth checking out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010xxz4

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 May 2011, 04:32

Hey, do y'all guys know anything good that Baltimore's own Gary Bartz plays on? He slays on the Miles Davis stuff he's on, and I normally hate soprano sax.

Thanking you in advance.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 May 2011, 05:09

I was just listening to a Larry Willis album with Gary Bartz on it. He's got an interesting tone on his alto which I think is present partly with the soprano sax so I agree, he does sound different. I have a couple of cds that I like a lot.

There Goes the Neighbohood - (Candid) Solid band w/Kenny Barron, Ray Drummond and Ben Riley.

Episode One Children of Harlem (Challenge) w/Larry Willis, Buster Williams and Ben Riley.

Those are from the 1990s. I'm not sure about availability.

I have a disc of a live show that a guy posted on a jazz blog from his Dad's master tape with complete permission. It's from a show in Japan from 1975 with Eddie Henderson, Norman Conners, Reggie Workman and Elmer Gibson. I also have a live show of just Gary Barz and John Hicks in Vienna 1994. Very differnt shows which is part of what I like about Bartz. He can play a lot of different styles, if you will. He's not a one trick pony, that's for sure. I know I have some stuff on lp with him playing as a "sideman." I just can't think of them at the moment. I say, pick an album by him that looks good to you. Maybe it's the song titles or the musicians, I don't know. I think he's done a lot of good stuff. I think some others dig him here. I know Kenji did.
Last edited by Six String on 11 May 2011, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 11 May 2011, 16:25

Count Machuki wrote:Hey, do y'all guys know anything good that Baltimore's own Gary Bartz plays on? He slays on the Miles Davis stuff he's on, and I normally hate soprano sax.

Thanking you in advance.

Yes, I am a Gary Bartz fan. For starters Count, you NEED to get these two...

or

You are going to love them!

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 May 2011, 19:49

My jazz guides (All About Jazz and the Penguin Guide) recomend those Harlem Bush Music albums too. I still haven't got them but if they are as good or better than what I already have then I really should check them out too.

Yesterday I was putting together my Mix Tape for this month's victim and I decided to rip some vinyl for a compilation of my own. I decided to make a Blue Note compilation from some of my 45rpm reissues of some of the more adventurous albums/cuts. This is what I came up with.

Air Raid - Grachan Moncur
Beatrice - Same Rivers
Refuge - Andrew Hill
Search For the New Land - Lee Morgan
Solo Dancer - Mingus
Out To Lunch - Eric Dolphy
Ezz-thetics - Grant Green

These are deep cuts of considerable length so that took over 75 minutes of my cdr. Well, the Mingus cut isn't on Blue Note which is fine because it fits in nicely with the adventurous music and the larger horn section gives it a slightly different flavor than the other cuts which are quartets or quintets.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 12 May 2011, 20:16

Six String wrote:My jazz guides (All About Jazz and the Penguin Guide) recomend those Harlem Bush Music albums too. I still haven't got them but if they are as good or better than what I already have then I really should check them out too.

Yesterday I was putting together my Mix Tape for this month's victim and I decided to rip some vinyl for a compilation of my own. I decided to make a Blue Note compilation from some of my 45rpm reissues of some of the more adventurous albums/cuts. This is what I came up with.

Beatrice - Same Rivers
Refuge - Andrew Hill
Solo Dancer - Mingus

These are deep cuts of considerable length so that took over 75 minutes of my cdr. Well, the Mingus cut isn't on Blue Note which is fine because it fits in nicely with the adventurous music and the larger horn section gives it a slightly different flavor than the other cuts which are quartets or quintets.

looks good. i'm off to make the same comp

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 May 2011, 23:46

The Sam Rivers cut Beatrice is not as adventurous as those around it but it's a beautiful ballad with a little bit of an edge to it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 May 2011, 02:05

Six String wrote:Yesterday I was putting together my Mix Tape for this month's victim and I decided to rip some vinyl for a compilation of my own. I decided to make a Blue Note compilation from some of my 45rpm reissues of some of the more adventurous albums/cuts. This is what I came up with.

Beatrice - Same Rivers
Refuge - Andrew Hill
Solo Dancer - Mingus

That's some good listening right there, SS.

I recently did a BN mix for myself too, focussing on some of James Spaulding's classic session work as a sideman for BN in the 60s. This is it...

For Spee’s Sake

1. Freddie Hubbard - For Spee’s Sake (from ‘Hub-Tones’)
2. Wayne Shorter – Tom Thumb (from ‘Schizophrenia’)
3. Sam Rivers – Involution (from ‘Dimensions & Extensions’)
4. Stanley Turrentine – The Magilla (from ‘The Spoiler’)
5. Hank Mobley – A Touch Of Blue (from ‘A Slice Of The Top’)
6. Grant Green – The Kicker (from ‘Solid’) I as gonna go with Ezz-Thetics here but it was too long!
7. Wayne Shorter – The Big Push (from ‘The Soothsayer’)
8. Larry Young – Of Love And Peace (from ‘Of Love And Peace’)
9. Duke Pearson – Big Bertha (from ‘Sweet Honey Bee’)
10. Freddie Hubbard – Blue Spirits (from ‘Blue Spirits’)

If anyone's interested in a copy too just lemme know, i'll happily send one off to you
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 May 2011, 05:53

Balboa wrote:
You are going to love them!

And I do! Copped this, with both of those records:

and it's now playing.

I'll check into the later stuff, too. Thanks guys!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 May 2011, 17:24

Fangedango! wrote:I recently did a BN mix for myself too, focussing on some of James Spaulding's classic session work as a sideman for BN in the 60s. This is it...

For Spee’s Sake

1. Freddie Hubbard - For Spee’s Sake (from ‘Hub-Tones’)
2. Wayne Shorter – Tom Thumb (from ‘Schizophrenia’)
3. Sam Rivers – Involution (from ‘Dimensions & Extensions’)
4. Stanley Turrentine – The Magilla (from ‘The Spoiler’)
5. Hank Mobley – A Touch Of Blue (from ‘A Slice Of The Top’)
6. Grant Green – The Kicker (from ‘Solid’) I as gonna go with Ezz-Thetics here but it was too long!
7. Wayne Shorter – The Big Push (from ‘The Soothsayer’)
8. Larry Young – Of Love And Peace (from ‘Of Love And Peace’)
9. Duke Pearson – Big Bertha (from ‘Sweet Honey Bee’)
10. Freddie Hubbard – Blue Spirits (from ‘Blue Spirits’)

If anyone's interested in a copy too just lemme know, i'll happily send one off to you

Nice one! James Spaulding was an mvp on many an album as your comp proves. Having two instruments to draw from made him seem like a secret weapon. I was listening to Soothsayer last week and paying attention to Spaulding's contributions. Does anyone have any albums with him as a leader? I don't think there were a lot but then he seemed to stay pretty busy supporting others.

NP Silver's Blue - Horace Silver (Epic) Yellow label. I think this is a second pressing. This was released in 1956, around the time he was getting his career going on Blue Note after leaving Art Blakey. I didn't know this album existed until I found this copy several years ago.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 May 2011, 15:03

NP

Courtesy of that Side Steps Coltrane box. Elmo Hope? News to me. Sure ran with a good crowd and he was no slouch himself, evidently. Nice stuff.

Return to “Yakety Yak”