Chris Barber RIP

Do talk back
Positive Passion

Chris Barber RIP

Postby Positive Passion » 02 Mar 2021, 17:30

Chris Barber, the great British band leader, has died aged 90. RIP.
He played double bass on Rock Island Line, and had the young Alexis Korner in his band, I read. I came across him as a big babd leader and trombonist, but clearly his thread is in the fabric of blues, rock and pop as well.

C
Robust

Re: Chris Barber RIP

Postby C » 02 Mar 2021, 18:31

Sad - a good life

RIP Petite Fleur

Jumper K wrote: I can't believe that you'd vote for the dinosaur musings of someone like, lets say C for example, over the choices of a younger more thrusting, engaging scamp such as myself. Prehistoric indeed.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 02 Mar 2021, 23:57

Played a huge part in developing the British music scene particularly in sparking both skiffle and the 60's blues boom. He was instrumental in bringing over Muddy Waters, Big Bill Broonzy, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee for the first time.

Many thanks and RIP.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Mar 2021, 17:54

One of the three B's along with Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball. RIP Chris Barber
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Mar 2021, 20:24

John aka Josh wrote:Played a huge part in developing the British music scene particularly in sparking both skiffle and the 60's blues boom. He was instrumental in bringing over Muddy Waters, Big Bill Broonzy, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee for the first time.

Many thanks and RIP.

Coincidently I am reading a Muddy Waters bio at the moment and was just reading about the time period of Muddy’s first couple of tours to the UK. So of course Chris Barber is mentioned a lot. R.I.P.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Mar 2021, 20:40

All sorts of people played with him

Van Morrison, Rory Gallagher, Mark Knopfler, Alexis Korner, John Mayall, The Rolling Stones...

Jumper K wrote: I can't believe that you'd vote for the dinosaur musings of someone like, lets say C for example, over the choices of a younger more thrusting, engaging scamp such as myself. Prehistoric indeed.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Mar 2021, 10:26

An old school friend of mine's brother-in-law was a massive fan and was trying to get a knighthood for Chris Barber. He couldn't understand why he wasn't already Sir Chris, and eventually he took it upon himself to get the application from the Cabinet Office and sent it in himself.

In support of each application you need letters of recommendation, and the bro-in-law got letters from various people, including Van Morrison, Paul Jones, and a certain Mr Eric Clapton.

He was was hoping to see him knighted before he died in 2019.

Sadly, it won't happen now

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 04 Mar 2021, 23:11

C wrote:An old school friend of mine's brother-in-law was a massive fan and was trying to get a knighthood for Chris Barber. He couldn't understand why he wasn't already Sir Chris, and eventually he took it upon himself to get the application from the Cabinet Office and sent it in himself.

In support of each application you need letters of recommendation, and the bro-in-law got letters from various people, including Van Morrison, Paul Jones, and a certain Mr Eric Clapton.

He was was hoping to see him knighted before he died in 2019.

Sadly, it won't happen now

Certainly more deserving than some who got such an honour.

Wonder if would he have cared for it.