Dick Cavett Show 1969

Do talk back
User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2702
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Mike Boom » 16 May 2018, 14:48



Had never seen this before, an interesting time capsule, the Dick Cavett show featuring Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills and Jefferson Airplane from the day after Woodstock.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1324
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Hightea » 16 May 2018, 14:59

one of my earliest memories of music on TV.
Front row at Neil Young and Promise of the Real at the Capital Theatre, NY 9/27/18
Image
Best of 2017 - Non Concert

Best of 2017 - Concert

User avatar
SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18502
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 16 May 2018, 15:01

Love Cavett. The Lennon/Yoko stuff is ace.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38237
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Count Machuki » 16 May 2018, 15:11

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46899
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Quaco » 16 May 2018, 18:56

I've been watching a lot of Cavett lately on YT. Mostly filmmakers and comedians, though: the Godard one is really excellent, Polanski is pretty good, Welles is genius, as is Rickles in his way.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 18099
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Tactful Cactus » 16 May 2018, 19:20

I read that Joni Mitchell's manager was so scared of her missing the Dick Cavett special that he had her skip Woodstock! Incredible if true.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2702
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Mike Boom » 16 May 2018, 19:51

Tactful Cactus wrote:I read that Joni Mitchell's manager was so scared of her missing the Dick Cavett special that he had her skip Woodstock! Incredible if true.


Especially considering the others were all there and all made it so the show too, you can see Stills is still wearing the same clothes (he comments on how he still has the mud on his boots)

Its also funny how at the very end the titles are all crooked.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46899
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Quaco » 16 May 2018, 19:54

Mike Boom wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:I read that Joni Mitchell's manager was so scared of her missing the Dick Cavett special that he had her skip Woodstock! Incredible if true.


Especially considering the others were all there and all made it so the show too, you can see Stills is still wearing the same clothes (he comments on how he still has the mud on his boots)

Its also funny how at the very end the titles are all crooked.

She has said that if she had been there, she would not have written "Woodstock", as that came out of a feeling of being the one who got left out, imagining what it was like from afar.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12037
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Sneelock » 16 May 2018, 20:24

I thought David Crosby was SUCH a blowhard on that show
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46899
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Quaco » 16 May 2018, 20:35

sneelock wrote:I thought David Crosby was SUCH a blowhard on that show

Yup. Cavett asks the Airplane something about their group, and Crosby starts answering. When given a chance to say anything he wants on TV, he says the dumbest unfunny joke imaginable. The one funny thing Crosby did was when Cavett asks if they all ... "Have parents?" It was a funny moment. Overall, not the best advertisement for the younger generation. They "got soul" but they don't have much in the way of brains. (Excepting Mitchell and Slick who were awesome.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52932
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 May 2018, 20:49

sneelock wrote:I thought David Crosby was SUCH a blowhard on that show

He's ALWAYS the blowhard, it seems. see also Monterrey Pop and the Journey through the Past movie.

If I didn't know better I'd think he was a BLOWHARD!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20852
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Muskrat » 16 May 2018, 21:45

sneelock wrote:I thought David Crosby was SUCH a blowhard on that show


For some reason, I read that as "Dick Cavett." Projecting, most likely.

A smart guy, but I got very tired of his constant Groucho allusions and insistence on participating with those who had actual talent.

Ray Charles did (as I recall) three appearances on the Cavett show. Not only did the host sing the same song ("Am I Blue") with him, he never bothered learning the words.

Here's two:


Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3670
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 16 May 2018, 22:59

TV is shite, absolutely loved this, TV gold. Thanks for posting. Joni For Free is beautiful. Just wonderful.

Where's Nash??

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62940
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 May 2018, 00:37

sneelock wrote:I thought David Crosby was SUCH a blowhard on that show


I wouldn't want to be around the guy for five minutes based on that interview.

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2807
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Bent Fabric » 17 May 2018, 04:48

This was a treat on so many levels.

For some reason, the "square looking couple" dancing their asses off during the last number really touched me.

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 18099
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 May 2018, 13:33

Quaco wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:I read that Joni Mitchell's manager was so scared of her missing the Dick Cavett special that he had her skip Woodstock! Incredible if true.


Especially considering the others were all there and all made it so the show too, you can see Stills is still wearing the same clothes (he comments on how he still has the mud on his boots)

Its also funny how at the very end the titles are all crooked.

She has said that if she had been there, she would not have written "Woodstock", as that came out of a feeling of being the one who got left out, imagining what it was like from afar.


If she'd actually gone then her song would have been called "Smelly Field"

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46899
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Quaco » 17 May 2018, 18:50

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Quaco wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:
Especially considering the others were all there and all made it so the show too, you can see Stills is still wearing the same clothes (he comments on how he still has the mud on his boots)

Its also funny how at the very end the titles are all crooked.

She has said that if she had been there, she would not have written "Woodstock", as that came out of a feeling of being the one who got left out, imagining what it was like from afar.


If she'd actually gone then her song would have been called "Smelly Field"

:)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12037
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Sneelock » 17 May 2018, 19:33

That would have really thrown the tempo off.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

User avatar
Wally Bingbang
Long Player
Posts: 39951
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Wally Bingbang » 18 May 2018, 02:47

Bent Fabric wrote:This was a treat on so many levels.

For some reason, the "square looking couple" dancing their asses off during the last number really touched me.


They were great!

It doesn't help Crosby's case that the microphone was pretty much in his face for that whole interview segment. Many of the others' answers were cut off 'cause the boom operator didn't move the mic fast enough.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46899
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Dick Cavett Show 1969

Postby Quaco » 18 May 2018, 20:57

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:This was a treat on so many levels.

For some reason, the "square looking couple" dancing their asses off during the last number really touched me.


They were great!

It doesn't help Crosby's case that the microphone was pretty much in his face for that whole interview segment. Many of the others' answers were cut off 'cause the boom operator didn't move the mic fast enough.

Yeah too bad we didn't get some cliched (even then) revolutionary rhetoric from Kantner!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -